Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Question New Maytag A/C Units

Does anyone have any expereicne with the new Maytag A/C units, made by Nordyne, featuring the IQ Drive continuously variable Panasonic rotary compressor? In your experience , does it deliver the super high 23 SEER and are they reliable?

We have sold two and as for as I am concerned from what I have seen, they are the best looking and quietest and most efficient units on the market today, they are definitely expensive, but if you have the bucks you will be "very" happy trust me.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Thanks. I am having a couiple of bids to replace my 18 year old Trane system XE900s - which by the way has been pretty darn reliable - and my current service contractor says Maytag has been really promoting them in the Houston area. And supposedly they have a 10 year warranty on everything, that may increase to 12 years.

Thumbs up Maytag

The warranty is 12 years and they are great systems. The only problem is getting them in only up to 4.0 ton.No Heat Pumps.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

They look like slick units. I'm kinda curious about what, if any, long term issues will come up with oil return problems in them running at partial capacity most of the time.
    The compressors themselves are a very well proven technology, but the use they were developed and used for originally was for serving multiple minisplit air handlers that each have their own small lineset. I don't have enough information on how the IQ drive runs the compressor to have a real opinion on it, but it seems like there could be an issue long term if the system runs at 50% or less most of the time.
    Does the IQ drive ever ramp the system up to full capacity to insure oil return when it has been running at partial capacity for a period of time?
    Or is the design of the compressor such that it doesn't spew oil out the discharge like most compressors?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I agree with mrbill. I have only sold and installed one IQ drive system so far but it is sweet.
    Had one small glitch involving a faulty kelvin controller but other than that went smooth as silk. You couldnt ask for a quieter system.

As far as the warranty goes I've been told that the 12/12 will not be available until 4/07, at present it is still a 10/10.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    They look like slick units. I'm kinda curious about what, if any, long term issues will come up with oil return problems in them running at partial capacity most of the time.
    The compressors themselves are a very well proven technology, but the use they were developed and used for originally was for serving multiple minisplit air handlers that each have their own small lineset. I don't have enough information on how the IQ drive runs the compressor to have a real opinion on it, but it seems like there could be an issue long term if the system runs at 50% or less most of the time.
    Does the IQ drive ever ramp the system up to full capacity to insure oil return when it has been running at partial capacity for a period of time?
    Or is the design of the compressor such that it doesn't spew oil out the discharge like most compressors?
    Its getting late and I dont have the data in front of me but as I recall the compressor does ramp up at the end of a cooling cycle to insure oil return.
    That was the issue that broke Fedders back years ago when they had a rotory compressor.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Size Range

Is the IQ 23 available in every nominal 2 - 5 ton size now? As when it cameout it was not available in every size.

Accoridng to the spec sheet that I have, it's available in 2, 3 and 4 ton capacities. But the spec sheet also shows that the cooling capacities have slightly larger ranges. For example, the 3-ton unit's range is 15,000 to 40,000 BTUH, and the 4-ton is 16,000 to 54,000 BTUH. So it looks like you get a little extra compared to the scroll and reciprocating based units.

Smile New Maytag Unit Capacities

According to the spec sheet that I have, it's available in 2, 3 and 4 ton capacities. But the spec sheet also shows that the cooling capacities have slightly larger ranges. For example, the 3-ton unit's range is 15,000 to 40,000 BTUH, and the 4-ton is 16,000 to 54,000 BTUH. So it looks like you get a little extra compared to the scroll and reciprocating based units.

We have oil-free compressor utilizing chillers for the central plant market (Danfoss Turbocor and McQuay, for example). The thought of an oil-free chiller to me is a wonderful thing, for several reasons.

Think they'll ever adapt that technology (magnetic bearings) for the resi market? That is when infinitely variable speed compressors for resi would, to me, be most viable. Get rid of the oil and not only are the oil return issues eliminated, but you get a bump-up in heat transfer efficiency, due to no oil film on inside coil pipe walls. Could possibly run a smaller compressor for the required tonnage, due to this gain (if not offset by power required to levitate compressor shaft).
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I sell Frigidaire which is also Nordyne. The warranties did increase by 2 years. They are going to release 5 ton straight cool in the 2nd or 3rd qt of 07 so I was told . HP is still in development.
    As for oil return every 30 minutes or run time at less than 100 % capicity the compressor runs at 100 % for 4 minutes for oil return.
    I think they are only 21 SEER above 3 ton.
    In my area they are less expensive (Frigidaire) then Trane AM Standard and Lennox and Carrier.

Ted
    Scooter

UA Local 630
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    RSES
    FL. Class A License

www.enterpriseaire.com

Thumbs up

I haven't heard of any problems with oil return on the I.Q> drive as the lower speed would increase pressure and the oil would flow better.Suction would be increased at lower [pressure}..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast