Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I-5 Bridge Collapses north of Seattle

Where is all this spending on our roads and bridges? Heck, the new interstate around Ft. Worth is going to be a toll road. I guess if you're a democrat spending money on roads and bridges doesn't buy you votes like other spending does?

I've been over this bridge many times.

http://www.goskagit.com/news/reports...a4bcf887a.html

saw that on the news, I think an Architect and a construction company are in some very serious do-do.

or the state is for not maintaining the bridge
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

The bridge was built in 1955, and was considered functioning obsolete. That does not mean it was unsafe it was just that it did not meet todays engineering standards for bridges. It was also of the type that if one section failed, all sections failed. I read that a truck hit a section of the bridge before it went into the water. Can't worry about sheet like that since I crossed at least 7 of those type of bridges to get to the job I did yesterday. I have a better chance of being hit by a tree falling across the road, that happens a couple of times year to somebody around here.

An oversized tractor trailor hit one of the girders, some witnesses said the trailor hit so hard it rose up 30 degrees. Immediately after it went through the bridge went down.

Looks to me like the government or state road whatever could take an idea that fast food places use.

Put up a damn pole with an arm sticking out into the roadway at a height where any oversized vehicle will hit the arm and warn the driver that he about to do some serious damage to the bridge if he doesnt stop.

Could probably do something with some sort of laser beam. Trailer breaks the beam.... large lighted sign warns driver of truck he is fixing to break the bridge.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Looks to me like the government or state road whatever could take an idea that fast food places use.

Put up a damn pole with an arm sticking out into the roadway at a height where any oversized vehicle will hit the arm and warn the driver that he about to do some serious damage to the bridge if he doesnt stop.

Could probably do something with some sort of laser beam. Trailer breaks the beam.... large lighted sign warns driver of truck he is fixing to break the bridge.
    So I guess in other words.... Try to fix stupid and lazy?

Follow the laws in place or go to jail. The truck driver was 100% in the wrong. So I guess it would also be necessary to put a scale directly in front of these older bridges too, so they the rated weight capacity isn't exceeded, where does it stop?

This would NEVER have happened if ONE person followed the laws in place, not calling it totally criminal, but people have to be held responsible for their actions.

Rant complete, sorry if any one takes offense, it's just that we as a country can't even maintain what we have, now you want to install more maintenance heavy controls to keep people from doing stupid sh!t.

This is why the country is in the crapper to start, too damn much government.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    So I guess in other words.... Try to fix stupid and lazy?

Follow the laws in place or go to jail. The truck driver was 100% in the wrong. So I guess it would also be necessary to put a scale directly in front of these older bridges too, so they the rated weight capacity isn't exceeded, where does it stop?

This would NEVER have happened if ONE person followed the laws in place, not calling it totally criminal, but people have to be held responsible for their actions.

Rant complete, sorry if any one takes offense, it's just that we as a country can't even maintain what we have, now you want to install more maintenance heavy controls to keep people from doing stupid sh!t.

This is why the country is in the crapper to start, too damn much government.

GT
    Actually the truck driver had all necessary permits in place to move his load over that bridge, the shipping company went onsite beforehand to measure and ensure the load would fit.
    Both the driver and company were experienced in moving similar loads over this bridge in the past.
    The driver also had a pilot vehicle in front.
    The state of Washington approved of all of this, how was the driver to know the structure was deficient?
    Although some witnesses feel the need to embellish, the scrape on the truck where the impact occurred doesn't correspond to anything more than a light sideswipe.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94N04M20130524

Somebody made an error, that was the point of my post. The bridge did not just decide to say "F it". I am betting on the truck being taller or wider than reported.

Not disagreeing that our nations bridges are not falling apart at the seams, but at the same time, the piss poor job of running the country, states, counties and cities has everything to do with it.

Somebody needs to take all the corrupt POS public officials and make them work weekends on a road crews for free, prisons are full and cost too much money to run, this is my answer.

Misappropriations of funds = being a public servant for 5 years, problem over.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Actually the truck driver had all necessary permits in place to move his load over that bridge, the shipping company went onsite beforehand to measure and ensure the load would fit.
    Both the driver and company were experienced in moving similar loads over this bridge in the past.
    The driver also had a pilot vehicle in front.
    The state of Washington approved of all of this, how was the driver to know the structure was deficient?
    Although some witnesses feel the need to embellish, the scrape on the truck where the impact occurred doesn't correspond to anything more than a light sideswipe.

ALL Bridges are structurally deficient.

They are building a new bridge right now over the San Francisco Bay and they are finding problems daily... It's not even complete. Chinese parts? seriously?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ew-bay-bridge/

Lowest bidder + lowest quality, can't get something for nothing.

Good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    ALL Bridges are structurally deficient.

They are building a new bridge right now over the San Francisco Bay and they are finding problems daily... It's not even complete. Chinese parts? seriously?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ew-bay-bridge/

Lowest bidder + lowest quality, can't get something for nothing.

Good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good.
    Looks like good old made in the USA junk... Ohio....

No, the major components were all made in China. Only the bolts and other hardware were made here, there have been many many issues that have come about during the construction. This bolt issue is just the latest in that list.

If the new bridge collapses, Obama will blame it on the Americans and not inferior Chinese products. Obama will say that we not only need more Chinese bridges but also Chinese crews to come here and put them up. That's the way his mind works.

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    If the new bridge collapses, Obama will blame it on the Americans and not inferior Chinese products. Obama will say that we not only need more Chinese bridges but also Chinese crews to come here and put them up. That's the way his mind works.
    There are americans at that plant where the chinese build those floor decks and such.....and those americans have a say so in whether or not the materials or manufactured goods meet specs.

One thing about all that cheap chinese junk that floods this country..... its built to the specifications of the american companies that are having it built or manufactured to sell here.

Its like when you guys blame the government for sending jobs overseas...... when there are plenty of foreign owned companies coming here to build plants and there are plenty of good old made in the USA companies that have stayed here and are still making their stuff in the good old USA....

Those companies that you claim are run out of america by government taxes and regulations are in reality just more interested than squeezing every last cent out of their product than they are in making a decent profit with american labor.

When you buying your new ipad or iphone you are putting money into the pockets of people who couldnt care less if you lose your job or house.....cause they know america is full of people who will let their kids starve in order to be able to purchase their chinese made product.

American welds failing..... american concrete failing......american bolts failing....... american inspectors covering up american failures......

yet its the fault of the china man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast