Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stebs View Post
    If you could get him on video removing the old ones, there might be a rather hefty pay bonus for you courtesy of the epa...
    does epa really pay rewards for turning in people for venting refigerant to atmosphere.

if it leads to an actual conviction, then yes......

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Other than the color and the name, it looks exactly like the Ameristar units Ingersol Rand makes, and sells through American Standard dealers.
    They are surprisingly not terrible...
    It is one and the same, Midea just rebrands it....
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

That unit is definitely Chinese-made... I can tell my the label.

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I am willing to bet a large chunk of money that this brand is a direct rip off of popular US brand units.

This is how it works.......USA companies have equipment/parts/etc. made in China. The thing is that the Chinese manufacturers end up having every single engineering detail of the equipment/parts, as they need these details to get the stuff into spec to sell in the US market. Then they figure that they can actually make more money ripping off the company that has them make the stuff.....by making the same stuff under their own name brand.....EXACTLY the same as the name brand......just with their own name on it. Can you say "chicago electric"??

LOTS of companies are facing this problem today.......law of unintended consequences I guess.....who woulda figured the largest communist country in the world would embrace capitalism so well!
    I have installed quite a few Gree ductless mini splits and I can guarantee you that they are not stealing any American technology.
    Their units are very well made and light years ahead of any minisplit I've seen with branding by major American manufacturers.

I would put them one step below Daikin and that's not bad company to be keeping.

Wow I've never seen one of these units. Gotta love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I am willing to bet a large chunk of money that this brand is a direct rip off of popular US brand units.

This is how it works.......USA companies have equipment/parts/etc. made in China. The thing is that the Chinese manufacturers end up having every single engineering detail of the equipment/parts, as they need these details to get the stuff into spec to sell in the US market. Then they figure that they can actually make more money ripping off the company that has them make the stuff.....by making the same stuff under their own name brand.....EXACTLY the same as the name brand......just with their own name on it. Can you say "chicago electric"??

LOTS of companies are facing this problem today.......law of unintended consequences I guess.....who woulda figured the largest communist country in the world would embrace capitalism so well!
    Most often that is actually how the chinese manufacturing contracts are set up, allowing the manufacturer to produce unbranded components for other companies using that design, it's part of the reason the manufacturer is so inexpensive. Trust me, these units aren't hurting ingersoll-rand's sales more than they are saving them in manufacturing costs over overpriced american labor.

Overpriced American labor, seriously. How often have you volinteered for a pay cut? Ever walk in and tell the boss he's paying you too much? The Ford model t was so successful because Henry Ford paid the people building the cars enough that they could afford the car they were building. How much you wanna bet the people building those cheap junk condensers cant afford to have ac in their home.

Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    Overpriced American labor, seriously. How often have you volinteered for a pay cut? Ever walk in and tell the boss he's paying you too much? The Ford model t was so successful because Henry Ford paid the people building the cars enough that they could afford the car they were building. How much you wanna bet the people building those cheap junk condensers cant afford to have ac in their home.
    Ever watch a Hispanic from Mexico work... Believe me... they are GLAD for whatever they get. I suspect it is the same in China.

Yes, American is over-priced labor when compared to other countries. And I do not see anyone lining up to pay more for something just because it is made in America... What I do see is full parking lots at Wallyworld...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

One in 3 AC units in service in the world is made by Gree (a Chinese company). Mini splits sell for very low three digits in China, so yes, even the workers can afford them.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...t_15783913.htm

Even though their avg wage has nearly doubled in the last 5 years its still less then 8 grand a year.

http://www.dynaox.com/en/2011/04/act...vs-mexico.html

The chart on this page says the min wage in china is 80 cents an hour. If you only work 40 hours a week that's ony $1664, so even if a mini split only cost low three digits say 300 bucks then say another 200 installed. That's nearly 1/3 of your yearly wages. Sure its affordable.

I don't care what anyone says the best stuff is still made right here in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    You are making my point for me. You are right, most Americans would rather their company go out of businesses or the plant close, than take a pay cut. In a world market, if someone is offering the same service or product for a fifth of your offered price, then you are overpriced.

I will admit that most union labor is overpriced but when gm, ran into all their financial problems wages were not the only cause. They did take a pay cut and gm is only one example there were lots of companys and unions in the news threatening to go out of business. There is a lot wrong with the way things work in this country but that doesn't mean I'm going to move to China and work at wages that amount to legal slavery.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast