Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Installation is free with purchase in China.

You also forget that there is a huge gap in cost of living between the US and China. A full meal for 2-3 people in a restaurant is only about 4$ in China -- things are just cheaper there so that 8k goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1977 View Post
    Installation is free with purchase in China.

You also forget that there is a huge gap in cost of living between the US and China. A full meal for 2-3 people in a restaurant is only about 4$ in China -- things are just cheaper there so that 8k goes a long way.
    I disagree, so does this link
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ayCurrency=USD
    They say a meal for two is nearly 20 bucks, yes its less then a meal for 2 here in the states but its hardly feeding 3-4 people on 4 dollars.

You're partially right. I made a mistake. The price I mentioned is for one person at a reasonable restaurant in a big city. Several people would be in the 10-20$ range depending on what you order of course.

Note that AC plants are not located in expensive places.

WOW! China sounds like paradise on Earth when compared to the crap hole U.S.

Most of the cost of living in the US is based on the concept of circular waste. We pay for services so that we can pay for more services so we can pay for things we really don't need. A lot of it came from the idea that a strong economy is one where money changes hands often, regardless of total wealth, instead of one where there is continual steady increase in total wealth. The money flying around with no gain in wealth just means that those with the power to insert themselves into the money stream can siphon off more of it (wall street profits). The only real source of wealth is harvesting. Everything after that in a production/support chain is just exchanging wealth, not building it. In a country that has focused on shutting down all forms of harvesting aside from farming, yet still expects to support growth, the only way to do that is a steady devaluing of currency, effectively increasing cost of living for even basic services.

Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    Most of the cost of living in the US is based on the concept of circular waste. We pay for services so that we can pay for more services so we can pay for things we really don't need. A lot of it came from the idea that a strong economy is one where money changes hands often, regardless of total wealth, instead of one where there is continual steady increase in total wealth. The money flying around with no gain in wealth just means that those with the power to insert themselves into the money stream can siphon off more of it (wall street profits). The only real source of wealth is harvesting. Everything after that in a production/support chain is just exchanging wealth, not building it. In a country that has focused on shutting down all forms of harvesting aside from farming, yet still expects to support growth, the only way to do that is a steady devaluing of currency, effectively increasing cost of living for even basic services.
    EXCELLENT post!

Now if folks would just learn to 'see' things like this... and get 'mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore'... we might just get a bunch of really BAD polecats out of office.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

If only the bakers union could have come to terms with Hostess! I miss my cupcakes and twinkles that we're in my lunch box everyday....

Quote Originally Posted by Back Bay Basser View Post
    If only the bakers union could have come to terms with Hostess! I miss my cupcakes and twinkles that we're in my lunch box everyday....
    There's a happy ending to that one. The twinkie rises from the grave on July 15th, with a leaner, more efficient operation, using non-union labor - so less risk of the glorious twinkie being robbed from us in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    There's a happy ending to that one. The twinkie rises from the grave on July 15th, with a leaner, more efficient operation, using non-union labor - so less risk of the glorious twinkie being robbed from us in the future.
    Yup! and the flagship factory is right here in my town. Part of me wanted to cuss at the striking workers, but I guess they wouldn't have cared, they were gonna get unemployment

Quote Originally Posted by stebs View Post
    Yup! and the flagship factory is right here in my town. Part of me wanted to cuss at the striking workers, but I guess they wouldn't have cared, they were gonna get unemployment
    the thing that sucks is all the bakeries are now back east. the one here in Sac is still closed. I miss driving by and smelling them bake.

I guess I may have overstated when I titled this thread. I have nothing against chinese made condensers or minisplits or whatever else you guys want to argue about. The units seem nice, the issue is that they can be bought by anyone. That leads, all to often, to the customers brother's friend's son in law's stepson's friend from high school installing it. Or even worse some guy in an unmarked truck slapping them in for an insurance company for $600 a job.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Here's the manufacturer's link. Can't seem to find that particular model, let alone a search or model numbers. Maybe I'm just ignorant in my search skills....

http://www.mideaaircon.com/

However in a search I did find this.... document...thanks Yahoo

2 Years no hassle exchange
    3-5 years compressor
    5 years parts

I wonder if the installer in the "un-marked white van" will warrant this install?

Alpine AHOVA 13 SEER Spec Sheet.pdf
    Last edited by Monarke4; 07-15-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: additional info/doc link in wrong place

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast