Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 53
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    53
    Installation is free with purchase in China.

    You also forget that there is a huge gap in cost of living between the US and China. A full meal for 2-3 people in a restaurant is only about 4$ in China -- things are just cheaper there so that 8k goes a long way.

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NE wisconsin
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1977 View Post
    Installation is free with purchase in China.

    You also forget that there is a huge gap in cost of living between the US and China. A full meal for 2-3 people in a restaurant is only about 4$ in China -- things are just cheaper there so that 8k goes a long way.
    I disagree, so does this link
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ayCurrency=USD
    They say a meal for two is nearly 20 bucks, yes its less then a meal for 2 here in the states but its hardly feeding 3-4 people on 4 dollars.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    53
    You're partially right. I made a mistake. The price I mentioned is for one person at a reasonable restaurant in a big city. Several people would be in the 10-20$ range depending on what you order of course.

    Note that AC plants are not located in expensive places.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    186
    WOW! China sounds like paradise on Earth when compared to the crap hole U.S.


  5. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,781
    Most of the cost of living in the US is based on the concept of circular waste. We pay for services so that we can pay for more services so we can pay for things we really don't need. A lot of it came from the idea that a strong economy is one where money changes hands often, regardless of total wealth, instead of one where there is continual steady increase in total wealth. The money flying around with no gain in wealth just means that those with the power to insert themselves into the money stream can siphon off more of it (wall street profits). The only real source of wealth is harvesting. Everything after that in a production/support chain is just exchanging wealth, not building it. In a country that has focused on shutting down all forms of harvesting aside from farming, yet still expects to support growth, the only way to do that is a steady devaluing of currency, effectively increasing cost of living for even basic services.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,173
    Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    Most of the cost of living in the US is based on the concept of circular waste. We pay for services so that we can pay for more services so we can pay for things we really don't need. A lot of it came from the idea that a strong economy is one where money changes hands often, regardless of total wealth, instead of one where there is continual steady increase in total wealth. The money flying around with no gain in wealth just means that those with the power to insert themselves into the money stream can siphon off more of it (wall street profits). The only real source of wealth is harvesting. Everything after that in a production/support chain is just exchanging wealth, not building it. In a country that has focused on shutting down all forms of harvesting aside from farming, yet still expects to support growth, the only way to do that is a steady devaluing of currency, effectively increasing cost of living for even basic services.
    EXCELLENT post!

    Now if folks would just learn to 'see' things like this... and get 'mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore'... we might just get a bunch of really BAD polecats out of office.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nc
    Posts
    60
    If only the bakers union could have come to terms with Hostess! I miss my cupcakes and twinkles that we're in my lunch box everyday....

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Bay Basser View Post
    If only the bakers union could have come to terms with Hostess! I miss my cupcakes and twinkles that we're in my lunch box everyday....
    There's a happy ending to that one. The twinkie rises from the grave on July 15th, with a leaner, more efficient operation, using non-union labor - so less risk of the glorious twinkie being robbed from us in the future.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    There's a happy ending to that one. The twinkie rises from the grave on July 15th, with a leaner, more efficient operation, using non-union labor - so less risk of the glorious twinkie being robbed from us in the future.
    Yup! and the flagship factory is right here in my town. Part of me wanted to cuss at the striking workers, but I guess they wouldn't have cared, they were gonna get unemployment

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Antelope,Ca
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by stebs View Post
    Yup! and the flagship factory is right here in my town. Part of me wanted to cuss at the striking workers, but I guess they wouldn't have cared, they were gonna get unemployment
    the thing that sucks is all the bakeries are now back east. the one here in Sac is still closed. I miss driving by and smelling them bake.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    53

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    615
    I guess I may have overstated when I titled this thread. I have nothing against chinese made condensers or minisplits or whatever else you guys want to argue about. The units seem nice, the issue is that they can be bought by anyone. That leads, all to often, to the customers brother's friend's son in law's stepson's friend from high school installing it. Or even worse some guy in an unmarked truck slapping them in for an insurance company for $600 a job.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

  13. #52
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    131
    Here's the manufacturer's link. Can't seem to find that particular model, let alone a search or model numbers. Maybe I'm just ignorant in my search skills....

    http://www.mideaaircon.com/





    However in a search I did find this.... document...thanks Yahoo

    2 Years no hassle exchange
    3-5 years compressor
    5 years parts

    I wonder if the installer in the "un-marked white van" will warrant this install?

    Alpine AHOVA 13 SEER Spec Sheet.pdf
    Last edited by Monarke4; 07-15-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: additional info/doc link in wrong place

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event