Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New System Installed - 7 Month Report

I had the following system installed last October and just wanted to update you all

(1) Bryant up to 16.50 SEER 2.0 Tons 2 Stage Air Conditioner w/ Puron Model 127ANA024000
    (1) Bryant Vertical Cased N-Coil with Factory Installed TXV - Tin w/ Furnace Install Model CNPVP3017ATAx
    (1) Bryant 96.3% AFUE 60000 BTU Two Stage Variable Speed Gas Furnace Model 986TA42060V17
    (1) Bryant Thermidistat Programmable Digital (System) Model T6-PRH01x

This replace a 14 year old "contractors grade" no-name system installed when the house was built.

First thing we noticed was the house felt MUCH warmer and the system did not run nearly as much.

The flow from the vents was at least 4 times stronger!

But now that we are transitioning to Summer I pulled out last years power bills and this years power bills. I knew the bills went down but didn't know by how much

One word - SHOCKED!!

From November to May (7 months of power bills) we saved $1,2121!!!

I am hopeful the Summer bills will reflect the same kind of savings, if so, this thing will pay for itself in less than 4 years!
    Last edited by Zomby; 05-23-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling

It's always good to hear two things. The system is performing well and the electric bills have decreased.

I love it when a customer reports back after a install and has what you have which is a more energy efficent system, comfort is greater and the system exceeded your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    It's always good to hear two things. The system is performing well and the electric bills have decreased.

I love it when a customer reports back after a install and has what you have which is a more energy efficent system, comfort is greater and the system exceeded your expectations.
    X2

I would suggest, just to make sure, that the airflow dip switches are properly set. I'm sure you're probably okay, but the last two home that I visited, I found the settings were wrong. That might just be a coincidence but if you're able to find your installation manual, it's relativity easy to make sure. I'll find the page numbers for you and write again.

Was this system downsized from yoru previous one, or just 2 stage?

What was the effciency of the old one?

I like to see reports from HO of proper system sizing and installation making a home feel more comfortable and saving energy.

+1 on the dip switches or speed taps for the blower. Default speed for that furnace would be high stage which could be around 1200-1400CFM depending on static pressure (I thnk that's an X13 constant torque motor). You actually want 700-800CFM (cCArrier seems to like using lower airflows, and nominal of 350CFM/ton) unless you are in a hot dry climate. Then you want 900-1000 CFM.

For heating, the default speed are probably fine, if you're ok with he temperature and sound levels. Default is probably around 50F temp rise, but it can go to 60F if needed.

You're gonna love two stage cooling, especially if you live in humid country. It's been downright soggy where I live lately, but my two stage system is keeping indoor humidity at or below 50% at 75 degrees. It feels great!

That, and I measured the outdoor unit's power draw the other day...over ninety degrees outside and on low stage it was sipping a cool 7.5 amps, one amp of that for the condenser fan motor.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    You're gonna love two stage cooling, especially if you live in humid country. It's been downright soggy where I live lately.
    Hey neighbor, you don't have any patent on that up yonder, you could save water and go outdoors and shower in Houston, just keep your skivvies on.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Actually I need to correct something. The AC unit installed was 3 ton, not 2 ton as posted.

Yep, we are ecstatic with our Winter power bills and can only hope the Summer bills fall in line as well.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I would suggest, just to make sure, that the airflow dip switches are properly set. I'm sure you're probably okay, but the last two home that I visited, I found the settings were wrong. That might just be a coincidence but if you're able to find your installation manual, it's relativity easy to make sure. I'll find the page numbers for you and write again.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Was this system downsized from yoru previous one, or just 2 stage?

What was the effciency of the old one?

I like to see reports from HO of proper system sizing and installation making a home feel more comfortable and saving energy.

+1 on the dip switches or speed taps for the blower. Default speed for that furnace would be high stage which could be around 1200-1400CFM depending on static pressure (I thnk that's an X13 constant torque motor). You actually want 700-800CFM (cCArrier seems to like using lower airflows, and nominal of 350CFM/ton) unless you are in a hot dry climate. Then you want 900-1000 CFM.

For heating, the default speed are probably fine, if you're ok with he temperature and sound levels. Default is probably around 50F temp rise, but it can go to 60F if needed.

The old furnace was 80,000 btu @ 80% - He downsized the new furnace to 60,000 btu

The old AC unit was 6 SEER - The new one is 16 SEER

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Hey neighbor, you don't have any patent on that up yonder, you could save water and go outdoors and shower in Houston, just keep your skivvies on.
    Houston will never lose its notoriety as the humidity capital of Texas.

It's that every once in awhile, Nature reminds us up here in the north forty what you Houstonians see about every day. And when she does, the two stage systems rock on...
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Okay, I'm (finally) getting back with you regarding the dip switch settings on your furnace. Page #28 shows where the switches should be for the A/C. You have a 60,000 furnace and 3 ton A/C. SW2-3 (switch) should be ON, SW2-2 should be OFF, SW2-1 should be ON.

Page #36 shows where the switches are on the board.

Page #59 (start here, I'm taking the pages as they come) explains the switch position set-up. Page #62 gives more information.

Page #65 is where you'll find the low fan speed switches (SW3) for your 2-stage condenser. It's labeled continuous fan or CF for short. SW3-3 should be OFF, SW3-2 should be ON and SW3-1 should be ON.

Tagging the pages will be helpful because you'll be going back and forth as you're learning the information.

I would be interested to hear how your switches were set.
    Last edited by George2; 05-24-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Additional information

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Okay, I'm (finally) getting back with you regarding the dip switch settings on your furnace. Page #28 shows where the switches should be for the A/C. You have a 60,000 furnace and 3 ton A/C. SW2-3 (switch) should be ON, SW2-2 should be OFF, SW2-1 should be ON.

Page #36 shows where the switches are on the board.

Page #59 (start here, I'm taking the pages as they come) explains the switch position set-up. Page #62 gives more information.

Page #65 is where you'll find the low fan speed switches (SW3) for your 2-stage condenser. It's labeled continuous fan or CF for short. SW3-3 should be OFF, SW3-2 should be ON and SW3-1 should be ON.

Tagging the pages will be helpful because you'll be going back and forth as you're learning the information.

I would be interested to hear how your switches were set.

I can't find the owners manual, so I can't check the setting you listed. I'll keep looking for it though.

Owners manual is generic. IT won't have dip switch settings. They are in the Installation manual and located on the label inside the blower cabinet door. For safety, make sure you turn off power to the furnace before opening the door. There is a door switch, but best not to trust that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast