Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Return air to small , head pressure high

I am a recent graduate of a decent trade school. I graduated other honors, from both the electrical and HVAC/R . I am scratching my head trying to figure out how to combat a high head pressure due to undersized return air without actually changing the return size. Any advice or do I have to bite the bullet.....?

Quote Originally Posted by HVACCory617 View Post
    I am a recent graduate of a decent trade school. I graduated other honors, from both the electrical and HVAC/R . I am scratching my head trying to figure out how to combat a high head pressure due to undersized return air without actually changing the return size. Any advice or do I have to bite the bullet.....?
    You could add a return fan. Not a great option either.

You could add another Return . Depending on how undersized we are talking, but you could run a 10" duct to the master bedroom, add a 12"x12" R/A grill and tie into it. Then tie your 10 inch duct onto your existing R/A plenum at your furnace. You should have room for that on the plenum.

Quote Originally Posted by Acexpresss View Post
    You could add another Return . Depending on how undersized we are talking, but you could run a 10" duct to the master bedroom, add a 12"x12" R/A grill and tie into it. Then tie your 10 inch duct onto your existing R/A plenum at your furnace. You should have room for that on the plenum.
    Now that's a good option. Adds volume of air without much increase to the static pressure.

It should reduce the SP at the inlet, thereby increasing airflow. It's one of my favorite "fixes".

Thank you for the options . I am going to look into this and proceed as necessary . There is enough room to do that and it will help the units to keep from freezing up . I look forward to giving advice as well as receiving it . Thanks again .HVACCory617

What size unit and whats the size of the return? Also you know whats wrong and how to fix it but you don't want to? Not a good way to start off your new career...

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    so your head pressure is too high because your lacking returns???

this is new to me. how does that work?
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Quote Originally Posted by ferd1942 View Post
    It should reduce the SP at the inlet, thereby increasing airflow. It's one of my favorite "fixes".
    Now that I think about it, you're right. Adding ducts to the return brings it closer to an open return, which would be the highest volume lowest pressure.

Return location is not critical so long as the supplies are balanced. My "fix" is to provide a central floor grille at the first floor connected directly to the return plenum (where the air mover is in the basement/crawl space beneath). You have to tap the duct into the side of the box beneath the grille to provide the required "receptacle". It's quick and easy.

That actually turned out to be the remedy . Along redoing all the ducts and resizing them . Another company's mess became our paycheck.... Thanks again.

It was not that , It was the fact that if we got into the duct work we were going to have to do it all over. Was trying to save the home owner money?

Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    so your head pressure is too high because your lacking returns???

this is new to me. how does that work?
    Cause some nitwit threw in an extra 6 lbs of refrigerant to get the suction above freezing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast