Thread: DUCANE furnaces

DUCANE furnaces

Just curious if many of you have installed or dealt with Ducane products and what you think?? I have recently installed a few 90 + furnaces and A/C units. They seem pretty decent for the cost. Installs quite nice with easy access to all controls for servicing. Uses Honeywell controls and Copeland compressor. Not sure if I like the way the condensate trap is set up on the furnace though. Any thoughts...

Hope its better than the one they make for Rheem. Has the burners sideways inside the furnace and you have to strip all the controls to get into it.

Worked on one the other day- that thing blows blows blows. As in giant steaming dog pile.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    Hope its better than the one they make for Rheem. Has the burners sideways inside the furnace and you have to strip all the controls to get into it.

Worked on one the other day- that thing blows blows blows. As in giant steaming dog pile.

Ducane makes a furnace for Rheem can you show me were you saw that?
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

They made one. This one is about 7-10 yrs old.

It had a cracked hx and we called to get availability. None in stock. Dispatcher was annoyed because they had 20 yr warranty and no hxs in stack.
    Said it was made by Ducane for Rheem, so that is making an issue getting the part. Thing is so hateful to get into they probably just replaced them.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

only ducanes I remember were the 80% horizonals when they use to make them for just about everyone. Heil, Lennox, Rheem, just about everyone had that Ducane hoizonal, dont know why but they must have had something patented on that , that no one else had.

I had no complaints with them other then they were pretty big.

[QUOTE=billygoat22;1395273]Hope its better than the one they make for Rheem. Has the burners sideways inside the furnace and you have to strip all the controls to get into it.

rheem? i think you have been sniffing glue or somthing

ducane is the same equipment as a aire flo, it just changed the name, and it is a lennox international product.

i have sold ducane and aire flo units as a low line equipment, but the truth be known, i have had less warrenty work on these units than any unit that i have installed. some may differ, and/or do they just like there product?

if it works well for you and if it has the least amount of warrenty work for you, go for it.
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

I don't think I have ever seen a Rheem/Ruud dedicated horizontal furnace that was made by Ducane. A long time ago, like 25+ years, they had some that were made by Consolodated, before Consolodated's dedicated horizontals started to suck.
    In the 80's and 90's there were 3 manufacturers of dedicated horizontal gas furnaces that I am aware of. Ducane, Consolodated and Rheem/Ruud.
    Ducane still makes dedicated horizontals for a few manufacturers, I know they did for Carrier as little as 4 years ago, but mostly just under the Ducane name and some supply house brand names.
    Consolodated tanked because of the tens of thousands of heat exchanger failures in their horizontal furnaces made in the early 90's, many of them disastrous failures.
    Rheem/Ruud stopped making their dedicated horizontal furnaces shortly after they came out with mulitiposition upflow/horizontal and downflow/horizontal furnaces.
    If there were any other manufacturers of dedicated horizontal gas furnaces in the 80's and 90's, I haven't seen any installed in my area.

Consolodated and Ducane made furnaces that were rebadged by many different manufacturers, some used their own control systems on them.
    Rheem/Ruud made their own dedicated horizontal furnaces. The way the burners slid into the furnace was similar to the Ducane horizontals, but they were completely different furnaces.

The current Ducane horizontals are OK furnaces, but there is no variable speed option. IMO, the only thing they are useful as a replacement of an older dedicated horizontal in applications where it is the only thing that will fit back in the space provided without major modifications, or if the customer doesn't want, or can't afford the duct modifications to install a multi position furnace.

I see a lot of them in attics with truss systems, or tucked in behind knee walls where it would require expensive structural modifications, or complete relocation of the equipment, to install anything else.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I've also had a few customers that had Ducane equipment tell me they were happy with the performance and no breakdowns. Which would naturally lead to a low volume of warranty calls for the installer. Sounds good to me. I will probably start selling a lot more Ducanes and see how it pans out.

I would be supprised if that many of the people from long ago had any idea they had a Ducane furnace. All the ones I sold were logoed Heil.

The other ones I worked on were logoed by other major brands ........ you could look tho and see that they were manufactured by ducane in small writing tho.

Dont think the name is going to be a very big selling point but it is decent equipment if it was like the old ones.

have no clue how well they are built now.

Talking

Ive worked on a lot of DUCANE around here not a bad unit for the price but as we all know it depends on the install of how well it works
    Im a technician not a magician

Ducane equipment is not bad lower end equipment.Like the previous post said its all about the quality of the install.