+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Water Heater

Post Likes

New Water Heater

was at this house yesterday to work on the AC when i saw this in the basement, it was installed the day before. Power vented water heater was replaced with a natural draft water heater. This is not a homeowner install, this was done by a contractor, homeowner was not aware of any problems. Not going to comment on the pics myself, would like to hear some unbiased opinions from other techs.

water heater, note abandoned 2" pvc vent pipe:Name:  wh3.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  108.2 KB

pipe exits the side wall:Name:  wh.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  107.1 KB

termination, new is between line set and disconnect, old abandoned vent is off to the leftName:  wh2.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  98.1 KB

Post Likes
    Hope they have good homeowners insurance for when the house burns down.

Post Likes
    I cant comment because I'll get banned!
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

Post Likes
    why

Post Likes
    LOL! that couldn't of been done by a contractor, that has to be a handyman.

Post Likes
    Well, you wanted unbiased opinions. The only things I see done incorrectly right off the bat is, single wall flue needs 4" clearance from combustables. This should have been double wall.

Flue pipe needs to be ran 18" past the closest combustible 48" away (i.e. if roof is flat, it must be 18" above the roof with a cap on it). Which brings me to, it needs a cap.

It needs to be secured properly to the ceiling, not hanging loose like that. It needs a wall penetration thimble, and once past the wall, it needs to have a T with a T stand before going up. Ideally it also should be located further away from the A/C and disconnect if for no other reason than safety.

And finally, to make matters worse, flue pipes can't terminate that close to an openable window. Even the old PVC installation might be out of code as well, however it's hard to accurately guess distance and I'd need to verify required clearances via the manual of the old water heater.

There ya go!

Post Likes
    Lets go the other direction. What is actually correct about the venting?

Pipe appears to be the correct size. They at least didn;t venti it through the PVC.

Is that a gas manifold in the background? At least it has a drip leg. But I've never seen so much flexible gas line. Is it really that much cheaper than iron pipe?

Thats a lot of gas appliances. I'm going to guess a stove, clothes dryer and fireplace. Wonder if there's enough capaicty there?

Post Likes
    Why did the lay it on the floor like that? Jk looks like sh!t

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Lets go the other direction. What is actually correct about the venting?

Pipe appears to be the correct size. They at least didn;t venti it through the PVC.

Is that a gas manifold in the background? At least it has a drip leg. But I've never seen so much flexible gas line. Is it really that much cheaper than iron pipe?

Thats a lot of gas appliances. I'm going to guess a stove, clothes dryer and fireplace. Wonder if there's enough capaicty there?
    That's not a gas flex you're seeing. The yellow "flex" you see is PEX pipe for gas, which I am rather fond of. I used it to run a gas line from my furnace closet to dryer closet (two totally different areas of the house). It is quickly becoming the standard in new home installs. If I remember right, it is already part of building code in Alaska.

That said, it was poorly ran and needed proper securing.

http://www.gaspex.com.au/ (For reference)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe RBVBD View Post
    Well, you wanted unbiased opinions. The only things I see done incorrectly right off the bat is, single wall flue needs 4" clearance from combustibles. This should have been double wall.

Flue pipe needs to be ran 18" past the closest combustible 48" away (i.e. if roof is flat, it must be 18" above the roof with a cap on it). Which brings me to, it needs a cap.

It needs to be secured properly to the ceiling, not hanging loose like that. It needs a wall penetration thimble, and once past the wall, it needs to have a T with a T stand before going up. Ideally it also should be located further away from the A/C and disconnect if for no other reason than safety.

And finally, to make matters worse, flue pipes can't terminate that close to an operable window. Even the old PVC installation might be out of code as well, however it's hard to accurately guess distance and I'd need to verify required clearances via the manual of the old water heater.

There ya go!
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell us you are kidding about this post!!!!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    LOL! that couldn't of been done by a contractor, that has to be a handyman.
    I would have agreed with you, until I read the post after your original one quoted here.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    2nd pic looks like there is some sort of line laying up against the flue too

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell us you are kidding about this post!!!!!!!
    I am unsure what you are referring to. Everything I said in that post is part of the building code for California.

And considering I've passed over 1,000 inspections on installs that involve running flue pipe, I would say I have some reason to believe my criticism of that flue pipe run is correct.

Post Likes
    Aside from all the safety issues and code violations, and the strong possibility of fire, co poisoning, or explosion.....

Think of how the water must come pouring in when it rains....

Post Likes
    don't know where you are; but; you may be liable for damages since you are HAVE KNOWLEDGE of situation (issue)....................may want to touch base with your local inspection department to get clarification.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe RBVBD View Post
    I am unsure what you are referring to. Everything I said in that post is part of the building code for California.

And considering I've passed over 1,000 inspections on installs that involve running flue pipe, I would say I have some reason to believe my criticism of that flue pipe run is correct.
    California allows side wall venting of a natural draft appliance?

4" clearance, not 6"?

why double wall pipe?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    California allows side wall venting of a natural draft appliance?

4" clearance, not 6"?

why double wall pipe?
    That is what passes inspection. That said I hardly ever use single wall for any real length. I prefer the 1" clearance in tight spaces with double wall.
    Last edited by Kobe RBVBD; 05-25-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Post Likes
    NO FURTHER QUESTIONS ... YOU MAY STEP DOWN

Post Likes
    Not defending anything and my eyes may be playing tricks on me but is the pipe that penetrates wall a piece of double wall b vent thought I could make out some ridges

Post Likes
    Even if it is (kinda looks like it from the outside pic) b-vent min clearance is one inch. Whoever installed that should lose any licenses, if they had any to begin with, then they should spend some time in jail for endangering peoples lives.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in