Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Why don't they just put a rubber plug in the suction line stub? Like the compressor manufacturers do! Instead of sealing it totally shut. So you don't have to cut it off and then try your best to convert it back into a female swag fitting!

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Why don't they just put a rubber plug in the suction line stub? Like the compressor manufacturers do! Instead of sealing it totally shut. So you don't have to cut it off and then try your best to convert it back into a female swag fitting!
    Use a tubing expander!
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Goodman ships their coils with 225 psi in them.

Couple tips- If you go easy with the cutters its not so hard to open it back up with some needle nose. Or SOG multitools has the best profile for rheeming out copper.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post

Couple tips- If you go easy with the cutters its not so hard to open it back up with some needle nose. Or SOG multitools has the best profile for rheeming out copper.
    Yes, that's what i do! But why should i have too! Trane's got that stupid cap too!

Quote Originally Posted by bob Juliano View Post
    If you ask me I think Goodman is Junk..... If you were to Tig weld the joints it would be one hell of a coil. Epoxy just doesn't do it !!!
    I don't think they ran down to the hardware store and grabbed whatever said it would work on any metal. epoxys are used all over now days, cars are held together with epoxy all over and they've never been safer. until it fails, change is ok

GA- The copper suction stub is epoxied to alluminum suction header under that shrinkwrap piece. If they epoxied all the joints that would really be wild! I believe all the brands use similar epoxy joint on their alluminum coils.

I keep it nice and cool during brazing and haven't had any problems yet. However if it did leak I bet 75% of techs would miss checking there because its hidden under armaflex.
    Thank you! Seriously!

I was not aware of this issue... this is one of those things one needs to commit to memory.

And yet another reason H-talk is such a wonderful resource!

THX again!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Yes, that's what i do! But why should i have too! Trane's got that stupid cap too!
    In the case of Goodman... because it is cheaper...

In the case of Trane... I hope it is not because it is cheaper. I hear Trane has gone the 'Goodman route' when it comes to cutting corners. Shame... their reputation will not carry them as long as they think it will.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Another tip on these goodman 0270A00 service coils is that they are shipped with these downflow blockoff plates installed which can be removed for anything but.

The one pic of front plate shows a good leak waiting to happen and the plate can be removed but put the screws back in

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    In the case of Goodman... because it is cheaper...

In the case of Trane... I hope it is not because it is cheaper. I hear Trane has gone the 'Goodman route' when it comes to cutting corners. Shame... their reputation will not carry them as long as they think it will.
    I think the epa should fine the manufacturers for every leak we find out there. Of course we the tech will receive a portion of the reward money and also we will write the violation tickets! Just like a cop does when you get pulled over! Quality would improve rapidly. But, price would go up too! But hey, at least you won't be pulling your hair out searching for leaks as much!

The trane coil suction line stub with schrader valve is supposed to be pulled off with heat applied, but you can use tube cutters. I wouldnt say trane has gone the goodman route but they have cut back a bit on quality checking/control since IR bought them out. Even so their QC is still much better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney28334 View Post
    The trane coil suction line stub with schrader valve is supposed to be pulled off with heat applied, but you can use tube cutters.
    Yeah, very little heat! I think it's just plumbing solder and then there's a oily film behind the cap like flux?

does anybody know if the janitrol package units that are now all aluminum replacement coils come with copper stubs?

Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    does anybody know if the janitrol package units that are now all aluminum replacement coils come with copper stubs?
    Yeah id guarantee it they have to attach to the copper somehow ....I think the joint is pretty safe.....much better than the all-copper leakers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast