Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Carrier Infinity running - control not responding

    I have a Carrier Infinity System that is just over a year old. It has the Infinity Control. There is no installed humidifier. About once a week I'll notice the blower running when the the interiro temp. is well within the set points. The fan will not turn off if I set System OFF, and it will not change speeds when I adjust the fan speed (normally on Auto). If I power sequence the furnace, everything remains normal for about another week. It is like the control and system board stop talking. Is this a fail-safe mode of some kind?

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    At 1:00 PM everyday, the control runs the blower for about 5 minutes. Part of that test is to test whether it's time for a filter change. OFF does not mean off in this case. I, for one, don't like that but that's the way it is.

    Other ideas is that the target humidity setpoint can cause the system to run just as temperature can.

  3. #3

    Infinity running - not responding to control

    Agree - OFF should mean OFF (nearly service disconnect).

    It ran this morning, so it wasn't the filter test (however that is great information).

    Would the humidity cycle respond to System OFF?

    What would be a fail safe way from the control to determine it has an HVAC that wants to listen to it?

    It will continue to run until I power cycle it. I'm noticing it more now because the weather is warming and the until barely cycles.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,016
    I could only think of a couple reasons for it doing this off hand. One reason would be that the control was not programmed right and it thinks you have a humidifier when in fact you don't. But turning the control to off should (after a possible delay of up to a few minutes) turn the fan off. The second reason I could think of was your system could be set to automatic and in milder weather it could be seeing swings in the indoor temperature enough to bring the A/C on. If you don't have A/C installed, then it would be a programming issue again.
    With the system being just over a year old the warranty should still apply to the control and system. Call the installing contractor and have them take a look at things. Maybe there is something going on that will, if not addressed, cause bigger problems.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Amory Mississippi
    Posts
    1,002
    Any infinity service call I have had (not many) have all ended up involved programming. either the controller lost programming and restting it cleared the problem, or the homeowner got into set up. and again re-programming solved the problem. I know some day I will find a real problem but I REALLY love the infinity system

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrsquid View Post
    Any infinity service call I have had (not many) have all ended up involved programming. either the controller lost programming and restting it cleared the problem, or the homeowner got into set up. and again re-programming solved the problem. I know some day I will find a real problem but I REALLY love the infinity system

    We install a lot of them ,ditto!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrsquid View Post
    Any infinity service call I have had (not many) have all ended up involved programming. either the controller lost programming and restting it cleared the problem, or the homeowner got into set up. and again re-programming solved the problem. I know some day I will find a real problem but I REALLY love the infinity system
    As a homeowner of a new Infinity system, just going into setup won't change anything. You have to do a lot more than that once you are in there. I know -- cause I looked around. I wanted to verify that the installer did things right -- per the manual.

    And pressing advanced for 10 seconds doesn't really make it difficult to get there.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Danville, IN
    Posts
    47
    Turning the system to off just keeps the heat or cooling from coming on. It operates just as a normal thermostat does with the system switch on and the fan in the on position. I would take the previous advise and have the contractor check all advanced settings, there is way too many to type here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,837
    Quote Originally Posted by eap View Post
    As a homeowner of a new Infinity system, just going into setup won't change anything. You have to do a lot more than that once you are in there. I know -- cause I looked around. I wanted to verify that the installer did things right -- per the manual.

    And pressing advanced for 10 seconds doesn't really make it difficult to get there.
    Whew. I guess if you had an operation you'd want to go in youself and make sure the sugeon did the job right?? There are many, many adjustments to be made in the service area of the Infinity/Evolution User Interface. It's not supposed to be "Secret" so they don't require a code like some manufacturers do. I guess they just think that HOs will be smart enough to NOT mess with the settings because one change could mess up a whole lot. As for the identifaction of a humidifier, that's done in the Advanced mode and it's a selected item, as it an electronic air cleaner and/or UV lights.

    I agree with all the others. These are very reliable computer products and once they're up and running, they are very accurate. I believe if you're going to have a real problem, it's going to be right out of the box on commissioning. Call your installing company out and have them check all the parameters. If you've got Inifinity controls, then presummably you've got Infinity equipment. That equipment is automatically identified by the User Interface so it knows what it's communicating with. That means it knows if it's an Infinity 2-stage/variable speed furnace or air handler or what the outdoor unit is or isn't. So IMO, the likihood of confusing the control is non-existent.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

    If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    12,189
    Waking the dead this evening I see.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Whew. I guess if you had an operation you'd want to go in youself and make sure the sugeon did the job right?? There are many, many adjustments to be made in the service area of the Infinity/Evolution User Interface. It's not supposed to be "Secret" so they don't require a code like some manufacturers do. I guess they just think that HOs will be smart enough to NOT mess with the settings because one change could mess up a whole lot. As for the identifaction of a humidifier, that's done in the Advanced mode and it's a selected item, as it an electronic air cleaner and/or UV lights.

    I agree with all the others. These are very reliable computer products and once they're up and running, they are very accurate. I believe if you're going to have a real problem, it's going to be right out of the box on commissioning. Call your installing company out and have them check all the parameters. If you've got Inifinity controls, then presummably you've got Infinity equipment. That equipment is automatically identified by the User Interface so it knows what it's communicating with. That means it knows if it's an Infinity 2-stage/variable speed furnace or air handler or what the outdoor unit is or isn't. So IMO, the likihood of confusing the control is non-existent.
    I certainly would want to read my medical records from a doctor. I see nothing wrong with a homeowner reading and reviewing the advanced settings on the Infinity Control. I work in Information Systems and have a natural curiosity for techie things.

    Each setting is also explained pretty well in the manual, with the default settings indicated in the manual -- even if you do change something. Its easy enough to go back to the original settings or the settings set by the installer (if they deviated from the default).

    Anyone with a decent understanding of technology/computers can easily handle the advanced settings menus. Of course messing with air flow settings can cause trouble -- I realize that. But looking at the number of hours my variable speed furnace is on high compared to low and the faults listed (if any),etc., is certainly harmless. Much of the stuff is informational in there too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Waking the dead this evening I see.
    Definately!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event