Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Why do some believe that the religious clause of the first amendment provides an unlimited right?
    That clause does allow people to pray at the time and place of their choosing. It does not force anyone to pray with them or even to listen to them while they do. Attempting to prevent someone from praying, whether with jeers and insults, or with legal action is IMO a violation of the Constitution.

P.S. You didn't answer the question.
    Last edited by fixacr; 05-23-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

The founders and the founding documents guarantee 'freedom OF religion', not freedom FROM religion... there is a difference if someone is wise and mature enough to think outside the box...
    Most liberals (well it appears most polecats, regardless of party or beliefs), IMO, are more than smart enough... the problem is their agenda...
    They WANT the public to think they have to live IN a box... the box the polecats create and change with their whims (that is, the whims of the folks financing the campaigns).

When we realize this... we will be one step closer to solving the problem
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

She exercised her rights. I'm not christian. I'm an agnostic. Again praying in school is not a violation of the 1st amendment. A government run school forcing students to pray or take part in a religious ceremony is a violation. A woman praying for her and her student lives is not.
    The teacher is considered an agent of the school. Public schools are government entities. Teacher led prayer or teacher involved prayer is considered a violation of the first amendment by Supreme Court decisions.

Students are free to pray whenever the urge rises provided they do not disrupt class or other students. The teacher is likewise free to pray. The teacher is not allowed to conduct, be involved in or endorse prayer sessions.

Yall who makes these arguments seem to miss that part stating that government can not prohibit the free exercise of religion.
    That right like all rights is not unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    The founders and the founding documents guarantee 'freedom OF religion', not freedom FROM religion...
    A common old wives tale repeated by those with a shallow, if any understanding of the Constitution.

If there were no freedom from religion, the government could force any religion it sees fit on its citizens. The non-religious could be forced to accept a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by fixacr View Post
    That clause does allow people to pray at the time and place of their choosing.
    For the most part this is true. However, school led, endorsed or involved prayer is a constitutional violation. This would include the teacher huddled with students for prayer.

It does not force anyone to pray with them or even to listen to them while they do.
    True.

Attempting to prevent someone from praying, whether with jeers and insults, or with legal action is IMO a violation of the Constitution.
    Depends on the situation.

P.S. You didn't answer the question.
    I'm quite certain I did.

No, Sir, you did not. Following a question with another question is a response. That is not the same as an answer.
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by fixacr View Post
    No, Sir, you did not. Following a question with another question is a response. That is not the same as an answer.
    You ask why do some believe the 1st A. does not apply to everyone? It is an inept question as it contains a false premise.

The only way to answer is to find out why you think in this mistaken manner. Answering my question will provide an answer to your question for both of us.

I bet some folks on here.... and many parents.... would be up in arms if that teacher had started babbling in arabic.... or praying in english for allah to save them.....lol
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

School policy is no school led or mandated prayer. The teacher violated not only school policy but the first amendment as well.

Given the circumstances I would merely remind the teacher of the law.

The teacher is considered an agent of the school. Public schools are government entities.
    I see.
    So what your saying is govt employees have no constitutional rights.
    Cause if the the 1st A. doesn't apply then none of the A.'s apply.

Now where is that written again?

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    I see.

on the palm of Geerair's hand
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    I see.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    on the palm of Geerair's hand
    The un-written manifesto of liberal control...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Im not a religious person or even a Christian. This being the case, I don't have any problem with prayer in schools...too an extent. Perhaps a little fear of God would do these little miscreants we have these days running amuck a world of good.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Im not a religious person or even a Christian. This being the case, I don't have any problem with prayer in schools...too an extent. Perhaps a little fear of God would do these little miscreants we have these days running amuck a world of good.
    Children don't need fear, they need their parents to do their job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast