Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, near the coast
    Posts
    1,174

    Just a matter of time?

    My heart and prayers go out to the people in Oklahoma, but my pessimistic side can't help but wonder. The teacher that stated she huddled with her young students and prayed- how long until some anti-Christian/anti-American group files a law suit against her for praying in school?
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,288
    I don't care if your an atheist or not. When the Defecation hits the Rotary Oscillator and your about to "check out", you'll find religion real fast
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by fixacr View Post
    My heart and prayers go out to the people in Oklahoma, but my pessimistic side can't help but wonder. The teacher that stated she huddled with her young students and prayed- how long until some anti-Christian/anti-American group files a law suit against her for praying in school?
    Although the situation as you describe it clearly represents a violation of the 1st amendment; given the extreme circumstances I doubt anyone would file a complaint.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I don't care if your an atheist or not. When the Defecation hits the Rotary Oscillator and your about to "check out", you'll find religion real fast
    A demonstrably false statement.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, near the coast
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Although the situation as you describe it clearly represents a violation of the 1st amendment; given the extreme circumstances I doubt anyone would file a complaint.
    Why do some believe that the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to everyone?
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,954
    My Dad, when he was in the army said there was a saying
    "there are no atheists in fox holes".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,288
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    My Dad, when he was in the army said there was a saying
    "there are no atheists in fox holes".
    I never been in a fox hole, been in a few.....nevermind
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Although the situation as you describe it clearly represents a violation of the 1st amendment; given the extreme circumstances I doubt anyone would file a complaint.
    .... huh?? how is praying a violation of the 1st amendment? 1st amendment is freedom of speech. Has nothing to do with the issues of prayer in school. Do you mean someone suing is 1st amendment violation?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,288
    Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Although the situation as you describe it clearly represents a violation of the 1st amendment; given the extreme circumstances I doubt anyone would file a complaint.
    more like a violation of school policy, not a violation of the 1st amendment. and Im pretty sure YOU would file some kind of complaint
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by fixacr View Post
    Why do some believe that the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to everyone?
    Why do some believe that the religious clause of the first amendment provides an unlimited right?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    .... huh?? how is praying a violation of the 1st amendment?


    1st amendment is freedom of speech. Has nothing to do with the issues of prayer in school. Do you mean someone suing is 1st amendment violation?
    The first amendment contains a clause concerning religion and from this clause arises the issue of school prayer.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    more like a violation of school policy, not a violation of the 1st amendment.
    School policy is no school led or mandated prayer. The teacher violated not only school policy but the first amendment as well.



    and Im pretty sure YOU would file some kind of complaint
    Given the circumstances I would merely remind the teacher of the law.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    School policy is no school led or mandated prayer. The teacher violated not only school policy but the first amendment as well.



    Given the circumstances I would merely remind the teacher of the law.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    She exercised her rights. I'm not christian. I'm an agnostic. Again praying in school is not a violation of the 1st amendment. A government run school forcing students to pray or take part in a religious ceremony is a violation. A woman praying for her and her student lives is not.

    Yall who makes these arguments seem to miss that part stating that government can not prohibit the free exercise of religion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event