Brand Comparisons

I have not been involved in the A/C business for a while. But I still have my tools, my license currently says, "not for public contracting" on it. I need to replace my 25-year-old residential system. Since I am not in the business anymore ~ I was wondering who or what brand I can buy to install it myself at my house. Is there a brand comparison chart out there anywhere? Just looking for ideas. Any advice would be appreciated.

FYI,

I need a 3-ton Heat Pump, preferably with a var. speed air handler.

Thanks,

How long is "a while"? Have you kept up with advances in technology?

Yes. But I only have tools for R-22.

I like what ICP (Heil, Tempstar, Arcoaire etc.) is doing with their high end line. Heat pumps have a cabinet that looks like you could grill a steak on. Their equipment line is definitely easy to install, set-up, and service. Well written manuals and performance to specs.
    There are many other fine brands available, main thing is knowing what they're made of. Most of them are offering lengthy warrantys because the scrolls are so reliable. Good luck

Thanks Wethead,

I know you guys are probably burned out on all the comparison questions. Unfortunately, I have one more. There is a place close to me that sells Payne equip. What do you think about Payne equip?

Thanks Again,

Payne is probably the cheapest built outdoor units out there. At least the "teardrop" cabinet is gone but the old cube design isn't much better. You may not have much choice in brands. Payne & Goodman are the ones available to the public here and that seems to be the case in many areas. You may have license but if not a working contractor, many brands may not be accessible.