Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I had an interview with a sales company.... The first thing they did was have volunteers come up and try to sell each other stuff. Say this pen is anything, try to sell it to him.
    I said i didnt want the job, and looked at BBB, 38 closed complaints in 3 years.... 4 in last 6 months.

This other company says if they send you to a unit thats 7 years or older and you dont sell them a new one, you COULD be fired. People get fired all the time for not getting the homeowners to buy new units.

Home owners are cheap, but our jobs rely on whether we can sell them new equipment...

If residential is based on selling stuff to customers, what is commercial based on? How do techs make the company money in commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by comoutsid322 View Post
    If residential is based on selling stuff to customers, what is commercial based on? How do techs make the company money in commercial?
    Some commercial companies are based on selling stuff. Doing PMs with required added sales, like replacing all 5 contactors on every unit every year, other silly parts sales like that.

Fortunately my current employer doesn't base my pay off of selling parts. I get paid an hourly wage to do my job, any my pay rate is based on how good I am at doing that job.

I work for an airtime 5** company, which owns the yellow truck guys. Been there 4 months meetings 4 days a week. All about sales, not 1 meeting has been about technical training. Maintenance guys right off street no experience just taught to sell, sell, sell and sell. Mean while myself and a couple other of the service techs are going back to clean up their screw ups for 20 bucks, while they are getting big commission checks. I have been a service tech for ten years and have never seen pricing or such huge emphasis on sells like this.

I had to meet one of the maintenance techs on a job because he did repairs and could not get compressor to comeback on. When I arrived I told him to take the cover off the compressor terminals so I can ohm out windings. I was watching him and he had his hands gripping the top of the scroll compressor. I asked him what he was doing he said he was trying to unscrew the top of compressor so I could ohm out the windings. I just did not know what to say, Just laughed. What he did was install a 521 start kit and put relay in upside down and smoked the start winding.

Airtime is owned by the same company that owns one hour.
    You also pay extra for that one hour on time crap. You can schedule a regular call that has a greater show up window.

Ya I new they were related some how.

Not all airtime companies are bad. I currently work at one. I am NOT a salesman and we do not sell parts that aren't bad(I will get fired on the spot for this) or systems on every call. I only sell a system when I condem a big price object on an old (20+) systems. Now the yellow vans do have a bad rep around here with an high tech turn over rate and create a bad rep for airtime.

Not all one hour companies are bad

How many here have been out to St. Louis?

I worked for another airtime company here in Phoenix before the company Im with now and it was a good company. Lots of technical training for newer guys, not just sell sell sell.

Quote Originally Posted by dsprice View Post
    Recently interviewed with said company in yellow vans. No way would I work there. They made it clear its all about sales. While waiting in the lobby, I could hear them role playing a service call and showing the techs how to turn it into a sale.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Lol so right, I remember the role playing in the morning. As well as going through your previous days calls and having to explain why you didn't sell a new unit on a call with an 8 year old unit with a bad capacitor.

I have, what a waste of time.

Aren't the one hour companies franchises? Like airserve?
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast