Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heat pump installed by mistake

Hi,

New here. I appreciate anyone who could take the trouble to help answer my question. I've searched the web but have not found anyone with a similar situation or question.

I recently had a new AC system installed - Trane XR17+XV80. This replaces a 20 year old builders grade system that finally gave up.

The system was installed over the weekend. The installers were great - no complaints at all. System seems to be working fine.

The issue is a strange one. The final inspection by the owner of the company revealed an issue that even he was surprised by. It turns out that the outside unit is a heat pump and not the plain old AC unit he expected. Seems the wrong unit was supplied - just a single digit different in the model number.

Initially he suggested he would swap it out but then said he would simply disable the heat pump and have it run permanently in cooling mode. I only vaguely understand that a heat pump can also provide heat as well as cooling.

My question is whether this is OK? Should I insist on the dedicated cooling unit or have I got exactly the same thing with the heat pump locked in cooling mode. I am not being charged any more money and am not feeling I got scammed in any way. Seems an honest mix-up. Just wondering whether I will get the same efficiency I originally signed up for or whether my system is compromised at all.

I'm in Texas - already hitting 90 and soon we'll be 100 plus.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Hope I followed the rules ok.

Keep it and for a little more money (thermostat and outdoor sensor) you can have a dual fuel set up that will save on your heating bills in mild weather. The thermostat you have may work for dual fuel.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-22-2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

Keep it, have it set up as a dual fuel system, enjoy nice comfortable heat pump heat in mild weather, and your warm gas heat when it gets cold..
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Keep it, you scored dude.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm View Post
    Hi,

New here. I appreciate anyone who could take the trouble to help answer my question.

The issue is a strange one. The final inspection by the owner of the company revealed an issue that even he was surprised by. It turns out that the outside unit is a heat pump and not the plain old AC unit he expected. Seems the wrong unit was supplied - just a single digit different in the model number.

My question is whether this is OK?

I'm in Texas - already hitting 90 and soon we'll be 100 plus.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Hope I followed the rules ok.
    THAT IS A CLASSIC.

TRULY, ONE of the BEST FORTUNATE ACCIDENTS
    that one might ever hear of.

Try the Lottery next time.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

worm5932

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

all the trane evap coils or heat pump ready so you should be ok . i would ask them to install a honeywell iaq thermostat set up for dual fuel
    We really need change now

Hit the jack pot. Did they install a new thermostat with the system? If so do know the model number? I would not want anything bypassed on the unit but as others have said get it set up for duel fuel and call it a day.

Remote sensor for outdoor the unit and a thermostat that will allow for duel fuel. Then wired and set properly and you will have a nice system in which you can use the heat pump in the winter and save $$$. In Texas more times then not the heat pump might be all that you need to heat the home as the winters there are like they are in Lousiana. Mild with a few days when it might get into the lower 20's a few times in the year.

While a mistake a good one for you as you got a outdoor unit that would normaly be more then straight a/c. While I am not quiet sure why the owner wants to bypass the wiring/defrost control board other then maybe not wanting to for a outdoor sensor or another thermostat?

If this is the case work with him and explain that you will pay the differance for the sensor and maybe theromstat if you don't have one that will do duel fuel. Most thermostats that are installed with a variable speed furnace will also do duel fuel.

While I understand that it was there fault and or Trane for not providing the right unit. If you work with him on this at the end of the day both parties can be happy. Post back with the out come.

Not so fast.

On the surface, it seems that the OP has a dealer error that really benefits him.

But before setting up the system as DF, I would want to examine rates both electric and nat gas.

OP lives in Texas and as I understand it, nat gas is dirt cheap in that state. Just would want to know if it is worth setting up as a DF system.

If OP posts his rates all inclusive and provides model numbers of furnace, condenser, and evap coil, I will try to give him some fuel cost comparison results to help him with his decision.

IMO

Running some calculation would be a good idea to decide what the balance point would be. I'd be suprised, even with cheap gas, if it isn't cheaper ot run at least above 50F.

Dual fuel also give you another stage of heating which increases run time sand can make you home more comfortable in mild weather. Furnaces are almsot always oversized in Southern climates to get a large enough blower for cooling.

$0.08 /kW TX= ~ $0.67 / therm at 35'F [ COP 3.5]
    ... seems quite competitive .
    ,,, . but I don't know RESIDENTIAL N.G. $$ in TX.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Thanks for all the advice so far. Seems I may have been lucky!

I'll try to provide the information requested.

Model numbers are as follows:

4twr7048a1000aa : heat pump
    Tud2c080a9v4vba : furnace
    4txcd064bc3hcba : coil (maybe?)

Thermostat : trane 803

Electric rate: 0.097 kw/h
    Nat Gas rate: 5.81 per MCF (rough calc from incomprehensible gas bill)

Thanks again for the continuing help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast