Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    dukes of hazard
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

We hit the button on job today, and as expected we had some problems. What we learned today is that you cannot use the existing butterfly valve, our placement of level sensor was wrong, the liquid feed to compressor was inadequate. We are going to remove butterfly and install 2 EXVs, pull liquid from old level sensor location into a liquid receiver to insure supply for compressors! Board failed on compressor! We will start mods tomorrow.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

I would like to see some pictures when it is finished and maybe some info on what you have done. We have done some conversions in the past with mixed results. The compressors in theory are great and in the right application they work well.

Seems like a lot of work. Could you not have just replaced with a new unit, or is the unit in a bad spot? Sounds like costs could be getting rather high, time = money.

I give it to you for taking the challenge. Keep up with the reports.

Equipment room severely restricted access. 12 weeks delivery on new chiller. This is best option to get bldg up before summer. Installing valves no big deal, ready to run by end of next week. Our call to use existing valves, bad call but we already have valves on job.

Your not wrong about it being a lot of work but when the bugs are worked out it should be worth it. His customer should see a payback in energy savings if all goes well. If the compressors stay together as well.

We learned so much on this that we will cut down cost considerably on next one. Ex. We can prefab both headers and compressor mounts in shop and set on chiller as a unit. Our engineer has made drawings and we've made a lot notes. There is a lot of chillers that access has been restricted over years by other bldgs etc. We see a market for this until all such applications are either converted or replaced.

Its called design build engineering I actually use to work for a contractor years ago that use to purchase Large package Trane rooftop units and then modify the complete unit it was built for research labs totally custom engineering actuallly worked pretty good nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. And your right you are already started to identify problem areas that won't even be considered on the next machine first one is always the hardest next one will be easy and then the next one and so on stay focused.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

that looks awesome . love the paint job. nice work
    RTFM!!!

We completed job last week, we believe it to be a major success for us, customer is pleased and wants to convert the YR sitting next to it this fall. It has created a lot of interest in engineering community, Ive attempted to attach a video complete with audio. I have a complete power point presentation I will share with anyone with email address in profile.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

Send it along my Brother.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

I'd love a copy, thanks so very much.

Please send me a copy also. Thanks in advance!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast