Replacing R22 Coil

I have a 13 year old 3.5 ton R22 system which now has a coil leak. The contractor is suggesting that I replace both the coil and the compressor. The new coil would be a R410a coil, but he says that filling it with R22 now means I can never it for R410a later. Clearly I prefer to not replace a working compressor. Does using a new coil with my R22 compressor really mean I can never use it with a newer compressor down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by sphbecker View Post
    I have a 13 year old 3.5 ton R22 system which now has a coil leak. The contractor is suggesting that I replace both the coil and the compressor. The new coil would be a R410a coil, but he says that filling it with R22 now means I can never it for R410a later. Clearly I prefer to not replace a working compressor. Does using a new coil with my R22 compressor really mean I can never use it with a newer compressor down the road?
    You could but its up to the contractor if they wanted to take on that kind of liability. The compressor will probably outlast the coil anyway. Your best bet would be to get away from r22 since its skyrocketing in price and never coming back down while 410a is relatively cheap.

Most dealers will reuse a coil that once had 22 on a 410 system. I was taught by our American Standard tech rep that it isn't suggested by A-S/Trane. You won't get all of the old oil out of the coil and if they try to flush it, they won't get all of the flush out. If the old unit dies with a burnout and you have old burnt oil in the system, you really will have a problem.

At 13 years old, may well be time to replace all.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Most dealers will reuse a coil that once had 22 on a 410 system. I was taught by our American Standard tech rep that it isn't suggested by A-S/Trane. You won't get all of the old oil out of the coil and if they try to flush it, they won't get all of the flush out. If the old unit dies with a burnout and you have old burnt oil in the system, you really will have a problem.

At 13 years old, may well be time to replace all.
    Agreed. I was taught the same thing. So I want reuse a coil that has r-22 in it already for risk of not being able to remove old r-22 refrigerant. So lets say you do go this route which I woundnt but I not you or your Contactor. They install the new coil which will more then lickly call for r-22 TXV over the factory installed r-410a.

Fast forward a year the outdoor unit develops a leak or has any other problem. You decide to replace it at that point. They flush the coil and try to get out all the old r-22? Then they install new r-410 condenser. It runs for a few years then problems happen? You might be right where you started?

I would suggest that due to age to at least change out the coil and condenser to r-410 matched system. Most companies will warranty a new coil and condenser paired together for 10 years when registered. Don't throw good money a way. Pay a little more and get a matched system with warranty on both the coil and condenser.

If you do decide to go with just the coil and problems arise after the install cut bait and install a dry ship r-22 if still avaiable at that time. While I understand not wanting to chane out a working outdoor unit it might be in your best interest to do so for peace of mind then you want have to worry about it.

Coils are the cheapest part of a systems equipment and another thing to consider if you just change the coil now and have probelms with the outdoor unit in the furture then I would look at replacing both again at that time.