+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rheem A/C confusion

Post Likes

Rheem A/C confusion

I looked at a Rheem A/C earlier today and I am a bit confused. Model 13aja24a01, 2 ton, R-22, 5 years old, 2 ton "N" cased coil with txv on Rheem 60,000 btu furnace. Outdoor temp.- 76*, indoor temp.- 68*, indoor wet bulb - 58*, head pressure - 180psi, suction - 74psi, coil temp - 44*, subcooling - 10*, superheat - 9*, return air temp - 68*, supply temp - 49*, temp drop - 19*. With a 68* return temp i would expect a lower suction pressure and coil temp around 30*, and on a 76* day a higher head pressure. Looking at that info it would appear that the compressor is not operating at full capacity, but if that were the case how do I get a 19* temp. drop? Air flow, duct work and filter are all good. What do you guys think? Should this compressor be replaced or am I missing something? I hate to let it go because the compressor warranty runs out in a week.

Post Likes
    Are you sure you have 800 CFM's going across the coil?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Our rheem rep has told us to charge in cooling to 8 deg. Sub cooling.

Ps why does the compressor need replacing?
    Attitude is greater than Aptitude

Post Likes
    Did not measure air flow at all registers but with hotwire its around 900. If the air flow was to high I would expect a much lower tempature drop, and if air flow to low I would expect a much lower suction pressure. I also checked to make sure there was no air flow around coil, its tight.

Post Likes
    Took some refrigerant out to see what would happen, had subcooling down to 3-4 degrees, very little if any change in condition. Put it back in.

Post Likes
    Looks pretty good to me. 13 SEER units run a lower head and higher suction than low SEER units.

Post Likes
    Run a total capacity calculation.

1.08 x cfm x delta DB
    .68 x cfm x delta W (grains of moisture)

This will tell you with 100% certainty if you're working properly or not.

Myself, I'd be pretty happy with those numbers.

Post Likes
    Numbers looked good. Working like it should, put the gas back in.

Post Likes
    I would suggest leaving this system alone. Remember, every situation calls for its own individual analysis. Focus on this diagnosis and don't be bogged down by what you think it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    It is important to me -- this is a priority for me -- in every charging situation, to determine if liquid is returning to the compressor. Many times, that over-rides all the other calculations. At the very least, it strongly influences my decisions about the general condition of the system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbhvac View Post
    I would suggest leaving this system alone. Remember, every situation calls for its own individual analysis. Focus on this diagnosis and don't be bogged down by what you think it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Chances are, you are using the right approach. I have rarely seen the numbers all line up perfectly by the book. And that's only with a fresh new system.

Post Likes
    Thanx guys for all your help and input. I will be leaving it as is. I thought all was well but had an odd feeling about those pressures.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in