Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Five things wrong with this water heater install

1. So this must be the new way to vent hot flue gasses, NOT (not code).

2. T&P 3/4" drain line has a flex connector of a smaller ID that can hold water on the back side of T&P valve (not code).

3. No gas line sediment trap (not in compliance with National Fuel Gas Code).

4. Missing safety pan, required when water can cause damage to structure (not code).

5. Missing water pipe insulation on the two water lines on top of water heater (not code).

6. No permit was pulled for this w/h change-out or the furnace for that mater.

and she said a licensed plumber did the installation! So that somehow makes this job done right? Give me a break. I said you are lucky you are not dead yet. I didn't say that but implied it in so many words. At least she has a fire exchanger handy, may not get to it though.

John

This is the same house I posted this photo showing two aluminum wiring neutrals burning up. The entire house is wired with aluminum. So maybe the house will burn down before this other stuff ever gets corrected. I referred her to an electrician.

Shoot billy bob I knewd I needed a shorty!

is that duct insulation fire proof? it sure looks to be in too close proximity, if not in contact with, the flues.

the water pipe insulation, the stuff that comes with the heater itself, is a code requirement? is that just in your area or national code? it just gets tossed here and nothing ever said by inspector.

is this a garage or what structure would be damaged?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Code for the land of Fruits and Nuts (California)
    Is a garage. Wood platform and drywall would be damaged by water so it is code to set her in a safety pan with a drain line to garage floor.
    Fiberglass won't burn.

Is that fire extinguisher placement gonna help them keep the imminent fire at bay?

Well we added air conditioning and fixed the water heater venting so it vents! The plenum was interesting to build.

I take it the straps are earthquake proofing since your in CA?

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    I take it the straps are earthquake proofing since your in CA?
    Yes, but not restricted to CA for earthquake concern.

A portion of the area I work in requires them, but the majority does not. No mentionable quake in this area for decades.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Last few years in hospital work we are required to install seismic hangers on all trapeze hangers even here in the midwest

Better, but you've still got a power vented furnace and a naturally vented water heater sharing a flue.

We learned that securing only the top of w/h allowed them to walk so code dictates two straps now.

Fau has inducer fan for combustion gases not power vented, this combo venting is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by JKopp View Post
    We learned that securing only the top of w/h allowed them to walk so code dictates two straps now.

Fau has inducer fan for combustion gases not power vented, this combo venting is allowed.
    Did you fix the T&P relief? That fire extinguisher won't be much good if the water heater is flying through the roof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast