A/C Unit Not Cooling

Hi, just wondering if someone can let me know if I should be calling a service tech. First time using the a/c this year and I can't get the house To cool down. Discharge temperature at the register is 72F, ambient temperature in the house is 82F. I tried cleaning the condenser unit outside, cleaned out condensate drain line at furnace, and replaced filter. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Unit is approximately 25 years old, so it's definitely seen better days but I can't see anything that is "broken" to cause this issue. Thanks for the help.

Time to call a professional.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

An older system could have a lint clogged evaporator c0il and the blower wheel blades could be filled with lint causing low airflow; take a thermometer outside and check the temperature rise off the condenser coil and post it here with the outdoor temperature.

The evaporator coil is not absorbing an adequate heat load.

It is very important to know what the relative humidity level is in your home, you can buy a humidity gauge at a local hardware store.

That old a system could have a refrigerant leak somewhere; you will need to call a contractor to have the system evaluated.

Thanks for replying. I also tried what you requested this afternoon, outside temp was close to 90F and the temp coming from the condenser fan was 96F. I have recently shut the a/c unit off and pulled the drain line. Results are not so good.... Significant amount of water coming from the evaporator drain line which probably means the coils were frozen. Strange to me though since there was no sign of frost anywhere on the suction line or on the condensing unit outside. The other thing I did notice was that there was very little temp difference between the two lines running from the condenser to the a-coil. I've had a freeze up condition at my old house and the smaller line was burning hot. I'm assuming there should be A significant temp difference between the two lines. Currently letting the a-coil defrost and I'll try it again and see what happens. Crossing my fingers......

Quote Originally Posted by Rebs View Post
    Thanks for replying. I also tried what you requested this afternoon, outside temp was close to 90F and the temp coming from the condenser fan was 96F.

I have recently shut the a/c unit off and pulled the drain line. Results are not so good.... Significant amount of water coming from the evaporator drain line which probably means the coils were frozen. Strange to me though since there was no sign of frost anywhere on the suction line or on the condensing unit outside.

The other thing I did notice was that there was very little temp difference between the two lines running from the condenser to the a-coil. I've had a freeze up condition at my old house and the smaller line was burning hot. I'm assuming there should be A significant temp difference between the two lines. Currently letting the a-coil defrost and I'll try it again and see what happens. Crossing my fingers......
    A 6F temp-rise off the condenser indicates that the evaporator coil is absorbing very little heat.

At 82F indoors & around 50% relative humidity the temp-rise off the condenser for a 13-SEER condenser would normally be around 20F.

A high indoor humidity increases the condenser air discharge temp, a lower indoor RH reduces the condenser temp-rise because there is less (latent) heat of condensation being absorbed by the indoor coil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebs View Post
    Hi, just wondering if someone can let me know if I should be calling a service tech. First time using the a/c this year and I can't get the house To cool down. Discharge temperature at the register is 72F, ambient temperature in the house is 82F. I tried cleaning the condenser unit outside, cleaned out condensate drain line at furnace, and replaced filter. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Unit is approximately 25 years old, so it's definitely seen better days but I can't see anything that is "broken" to cause this issue. Thanks for the help.
    You need to call a professional! This not a simple repair and needs to be addressed first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2