Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infinity vs Any 2-Stage Thermostat

Post Likes

Infinity vs Any 2-Stage Thermostat

I've only just discovered that my Infinity's two-stage burner requires a two-stage thermostat, but a conventional thermostat was installed in this new home. The burner was one of the reasons I selected Infinity. I've read earlier posts in which many professionals backed the Infinity thermostat. However, when I check the Carrier site, many bells & whistles are listed but facilitating the two-stage burner isn't even mentioned!

I'm looking for optimum utilization of the variable speed blower and two stage burner. Is the Infinity control still best at doing that compared to a (less expensive) Honeywell two-stage thermostat or others brands? Thanks.

Jed in Wisconsin, where it's +3 F and heading dowwwwwn.
    Last edited by theshadow; 02-02-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Post Likes
    The Infinity furnace will manage the second stage heat using plotted algorythyms determined by the length of the heat call, demand of the heat call and will it reach and or maintain set point in the low heat stage if not it will then stage up to second stage heat. The results of all these calculations will determine if the next heat call will start out as low heat or high heat. This happens with every call for heat. So yes you can still have first and second stage operation with a single stage thermostat.
    But a two stage stat will control it even more efficeintly.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Infinity control is what I'd want to manage the two stage heat ,along with everything else it can do.

Better comfort IMHO,with Infinity,it maintains temps closer to the set point then two stage stat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    I've only just discovered that my Infinity's two-stage burner requires a two-stage thermostat, but a conventional thermostat was installed in this new home. The burner was one of the reasons I selected Infinity. I've read earlier posts in which many professionals backed the Infinity thermostat. However, when I check the Carrier site, many bells & whistles are listed but facilitating the two-stage burner isn't even mentioned!

I'm looking for optimum utilization of the variable speed blower and two stage burner. Is the Infinity control still best at doing that compared to a (less expensive) Honeywell two-stage thermostat or others brands? Thanks.

Jed in Wisconsin, where it's +3 F and heading dowwwwwn.

Need to check to see if that furnace was manufactured to use the Infinity controller or was it produced before.
    I like the controller for it's ability to sense cycles of heat and adjust, more even temperature this way .

I would also recommend Honeywell Pro 8000. 8621
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    Aircooled, I don't have the S/N or model # handy, but it was installed only last summer and based on what the contractor said, the furnace would be compatible with the controller.

Post Likes
    Your furnace should be compatible with the INfinity control. The Infinity control will control the 2 stages.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Post Likes
    Infinty rules!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    My Infinity furnace was originally installed with a cheap single stage thermostat. The furnace worked fine with it and provided a lot more comfort than our ancient single stage furnace. The controller board on the Infinity has the smarts to operate with single stage thermostats.

Now I have an Infinity control on it and that works fine too, plus I like all its added features. In theory it can do a better job of regulating the temperature but the improvement is subtle enough that I can't really tell. I'm very happy with the Infinity control but wouldn't try to sell it on the basis of it doing a better job controlling temperature alone.

For me, I very much like the outside air temp and humidity display right on the unit, the automatic control of humidity level based on outdoor air temp, the diagnostic capability, and how nice the setback/vacation modes are configured. And it does a great job of holding to the setpoint!

Jon

Post Likes
    Well, this is strange. The thermostat was malfunctioning as it was (showing temperatures all over the map), so the contractor sent someone to change it out. Instead of the Infinity, they installed the Honeywell Pro TH4110D, which is another single-stage thermostat.

They told my wife (1) it was less expensive than the Infinity; (2) which I don't need because I don't have a two-stage AC (the AC is a Comfort series). I know the Honeywell is less expensive, but (rhetorical question) why wouldn't they have used the 2-stage version (TH4210D) to match the two-stage Infinity furnace?

Post Likes
    they used what was on thier truck.

Post Likes
    I'd ask them to put in a two stage t-stat... if you got the wires for it in the wall.

Post Likes
    Infinity control only needs 4 wires

Post Likes
    infinity control can still be used with 1 stage cool

Post Likes
    4 wires.

Post Likes
    Green-data Yellow-data White-24vac com Red-24vac hot

Post Likes
    The Infinity control is very expensive and when I shopped for a new furnace none of the vendors even wanted to quote it. Several (all?) of the Bryant/Carrier guys said their own homes have complete Infinity systems but they don't recommend the control because it's expensive and not necessary. Seems odd but that's what happened with me.

BTW, I had a single stage Performance series AC installed at the same time as the Infinity furnace. It works fine with either kind of thermostat in question. The Infinity control is impressive.

Jon
    Last edited by jlk_250; 02-06-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Clarification

Post Likes
    Thats crap Infinity system with Infinity control!!

Post Likes
    I'm having the same experience as JLK_250 as far as Carrier dealers characterizing the Infinity control as overpriced and not worth it. No wonder us civilians get confused.

Post Likes
    Let me get this straight...

Carrier dealer are recommending NOT to get the Infinity Control for an Infinity system???? What???

Anyone who recommends against the Infinity Control must be out to lunch. It is THE BEST control for an Infinity furnace/AC/Ventilator etc. Yes, its more expensive than a "regular" thermostat. But thats because its not a regular thermostat.

I'll bet the folks at Carrier would love to know their dealers are steering customers clear of the control. Wow.

Remember, the Infinity system is a SYSTEM. Its not just any one component. The control is an integral part of that system. Why would one spend the big money on the furnace and cheap out on the control? I just don't get it.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
    Let me get this straight...

Carrier dealer are recommending NOT to get the Infinity Control for an Infinity system???? What???

Anyone who recommends against the Infinity Control must be out to lunch. It is THE BEST control for an Infinity furnace/AC/Ventilator etc. Yes, its more expensive than a "regular" thermostat. But thats because its not a regular thermostat.

I'll bet the folks at Carrier would love to know their dealers are steering customers clear of the control. Wow.

Remember, the Infinity system is a SYSTEM. Its not just any one component. The control is an integral part of that system. Why would one spend the big money on the furnace and cheap out on the control? I just don't get it.

Exactly .

And I think Carrier knows some dealers are a litle slow on the uptake,Willis Haviland hough, would be rolling over if he knew!lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in