Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nuisance trips

Is this a breaker or a gfi at the outlet we r talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    Is this a breaker or a gfi at the outlet we r talking about.
    breaker in the panel 20 amp

The other things the cooks do is hide towels on top of the unit.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Seen boxes stacked up blocking air flow, also doors opened in front of coils. I have also seen a lot of cheese type cloth used as "pre filters", usually shortens the life of compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by northeastbeast View Post
    you know thats funny you mention that because one of the cooks did show me some wierd home made filter or something and said this wouldnt have caused it would it?, and it didnt click until now. he must of been blocking the condenser to avoid cleaning it so often, because they had just talked about how they cleaned the condenser and stuff. sometimes the customer gives clues to what the problem is, and i just totally disregarded it because when i go on a call i get stuck on what I think the problem is and cant work past it, i need to start listening more.

Is your termination switch working. Is it possible you compressor is over amping after coming out of defrost when they had the door open the whole time. Do you have a recorder you can put on the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    Is your termination switch working. Is it possible you compressor is over amping after coming out of defrost when they had the door open the whole time. Do you have a recorder you can put on the freezer.
    Yea the defrost termination was working fine I actually thought of that while I was there and tested it , it was the last thing I checked before I gave up.

Any chance there is another outlet close by that's on a different circuit that you could use?

As others have said, real common for something else to be using the same circuit causing the random trip. Weak breaker is also very possible.

Any chance you are getting a voltage drop from a worn plug or outlet causing random voltage drop on startup. Maybe cold control or something else is making compressor randomly short cycle.

Good Luck

find a spare 20 or change it with another to isolate a weak breaker. I had a C- store that called us out like every two weeks and always on a Sunday night or Monday saying a breaker tripped . then I got smart and asked when is their floors stripped and re-waxed. found out the company who did that was sat night every other week.. they plugged into the same outlet as the ice cream case.. it cause the breaker to overheat and trip when it came out of defrost.. think outside the box is a good thing. not easy sometimes because its not seen.. Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    Any chance there is another outlet close by that's on a different circuit that you could use?
    Any chance you are getting a voltage drop from a worn plug or outlet causing random voltage drop on startup.

-AND-

Maybe cold control or something else is making compressor randomly short cycle.
    Great points. Check the plug and outlet for signs of damage/discoloration from heating up due to a poor connection. If there is, that could be an intermittent "drop-out" of power causing the compressor to short-cycle. If the plug or outlet is questionable, replace BOTH of them to be sure all connections are solid.

When you went through the wiring, did you see any signs of discoloration of crimp connections? To persue the possibility of a control randomly dropping out, do a voltage reading across any controls in series with the compressor when the system is IN cycle. That 10 to 11 amp draw will find a weakness in its circuit that a simple ohmeter reading will not. The true test of any circuit's integrity is when its under normal operating conditions and you're employing a voltmeter to "put it under a microscope" during those conditions.

We generally expect the compressor overload to intervene and disable the compressor when it tries to start with high head pressure. However, I've encountered situations where the overload's action wasn't quick enough, resulting in a blown slow-blow fuse or a tripped breaker.

Is there a light inside the box? Something else to take a peek at.

lots of good stuff here, thanks for all the replies .
    keep em coming!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12