Thread: Suggestion

Lightbulb Required reading

Once in a while I see comments in this forum from the professionals complaining about getting the same questions from homeowners over and over again.

Perhaps the forum could be modified in such a way that would REQUIRE non-professional prospective (homeowner) members to read a list of recommendations or FAQ's & answers before they could post any questions. You know - choose the contractor, not the brand, quality work & eqpt instead of lowest cost, get load calc done for proper eqpt sizing, advantages of 2-stage vs single stage, variable speed vs multispeed, insulation, ducts, etc. It might help limit the repetition. Just an idea - don't know if it's technically possible.

As non-professional member, I again want to thank the Pro's for allowing homeowners access to the forum and allowing us to post questions.
    Last edited by roymcoy; 03-01-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Changed title

Sort of like this?

Welcome new member,

We understand you have a lot of questions related to your A/C and Heating System,
    Please search the forum for any answers before posting your question.
    You can search the forum by clicking on "search" at the top of the page
    To Serve and To Prevent duplicate threads....

Thanks,
    Whoever
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Repetitive thinking

Questions make you think and thinking is good for you. Even if it makes you think over and over again.

Thanks, but not exactly what I had in mind. My suggestion had more to do with putting all the recommendations in one place. Also, the average homeowner may not know the proper terminology to get successful search results. No doubt some people would still ignore the recommendations and ask anyway, but I thought it might be worth a shot. Just trying to give a little payback for the help I've received here!

Quote Originally Posted by roymcoy View Post
    Tthe average homeowner may not know the proper terminology to get successful search results.

Hey we don't want them searching anyway that would take out all of the fun and ribbing in our responses.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Got it! Hey - do all you guys let off steam here or just those of you that work on "wet" systems?????

Most of the newbies coming here don't read the rules, so why would they do any required reading. I don't know how many times a week a newbie posts a pricing question or wants DIY help. If you look at HeyBob's pic, he's always wearing a hat, because he's pulled most of his hair out deleting prices.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Quote Originally Posted by chucko615 View Post
    If you look at HeyBob's pic, he's always wearing a hat, because he's pulled most of his hair out deleting prices.

Man I just thought the business was responsible for that, now I know the truth.

chucko615: "Most of the newbies coming here don't read the rules, so why would they do any required reading."

Hence the term "required". I was asking if it was technically possible to REQUIRE that they read it before they were allowed to post questions. The idea is if they didn't read & acknowledge it, they couldn't become members & ask questions. Perhaps something as simple as a link to an FAQ page first, then go from there to the membership sign-up page.

mrbillpro: "Hey we don't want them searching anyway that would take out all of the fun and ribbing in our responses."

Sorry - wasn't trying to keep you guys from having any fun!

In the immortal words of Rosanne Rosanna-Danna "Never mind".

Roy, I'm not trying to bust your hump or anything, but how many times have you gone to some site and they have the disclaimer with all the legal mumbo jumbo and you just click the box marked I agree. How many people read all that stuff in the disclaimer, not me . I just click the I agree box and move on
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Chuck - I know exactly what you mean - I've done it myself. Just thought some HO's might take the time to read it and save you guys some aggravation. Thanks for your input.

aggravation..

man, I couldn't live without aggravation
    It is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, for we are in deep crap.

I miss your old avatar.