Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    The loss of life is terrible but what I would like to know is if those people really lost everything by not having tornado coverage? The media just won't tell us. They'd rather focus on the drama of it all.

To me, losing a house doesn't mean much if I walked away from it and it is all covered.
    If there was ever any doubt about this posters caricature, there's not now.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Sorry, I'm not very sensitive when it comes to houses. I can make them beautiful or I can rip them apart. It is two sides of the same coin. But as I said, the loss of life is terrible.

If you are not even curious if those people lost their nest egg then that says a lot about your character too.

Sorry, I'm not very sensitive when it comes to houses. I can make them beautiful or I can rip them apart. It is two sides of the same coin. But as I said, the loss of life is terrible.

If you are not even curious if those people lost their nest egg then that says a lot about your character too.
    Sorry, you can't un- spin what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I am sorry.

Once again, I am going to bring this up. I grew up in tornado alley. Those things can sweep a modern home down to the foundation slab. That is all that is left, just the slab foundation. We do not usually have basements in this area of the country, due too a a high freeze-line, just slabs with appropriate footings. Trailer parks are not 'tornado magnets' they get hit hard because they are off the ground to begin with and usually poorly constructed.

What you need to survive a tornado is a storm cellar. I have not bought one, but we are basically talking somewhere in the 15 thousand dollar range for a commercial sale. I'll bet half the houses wiped off the map in Oklahoma are worth less than the cost of a new storm cellar. Nobody buys them, it would be a foolish waste of money, you take your chances.

You must get underground. Tornadoes do not plow. All you need is a basic pod to jump into, a 55 gallon barrel built into the slab of your home floor, below ground level. Probably cost about 300 dollars. Fits two in an emergency, unless you are an extreme fatass of some sort.

Nothing above ground level is safe, nothing below ground level is unsafe.

Storm pods.
    Not true, but then again those who make money off those tragedies are not going to tell you that you can build a house to pretty much survive most any disasters, short of a H-bomb going off near it.

And it will last hundreds of years.

Hit download at bottom and select how you want to view.

http://vimeo.com/user10740987/review...250/6da9ebdec7

http://www.monolithic.com/

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Sorry, you can't un- spin what you said.
    Sorry you can't understand what I said or show any curiosity or empathy for the financial side of the event.

Too bad people can't think outside the box our news stations have us in. And those same people wonder how our politicians and mega-corporations are so successful in stealing our nation from us.

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Not true, but then again those who make money off those tragedies are not going to tell you that you can build a house to pretty much survive most any disasters, short of a H-bomb going off near it.

And it will last hundreds of years.

Hit download at bottom and select how you want to view.

http://vimeo.com/user10740987/review...250/6da9ebdec7

http://www.monolithic.com/

Roy
    Beggs Ok. replaced it's damaged school with 2 monolithic structures when they rebuilt from a tornado and they are a small community. Most sensible way to go.
    http://www.monolithic.com/stories/beggshighschool

Well I just spoke to someone who grew up in Oklahoma and she says tornado coverage on your homeowners policy is cost prohibitive just like earthquake insurance in CA. It is very likely that those people's losses are not covered. The media obviously knows this and avoids bringing it up. But how crass and insensitive it is of me to even wonder such a thing.

Take consolation in this Brian.....

They call that area Tornado Alley..... or like here in Tennessee.... they call it Tornady Alley...... and probably spell "alley" wrong......

Tennesseans....... the nations D minus students.....

but anyhow......... those folks who rebuild there....those folks who owned homes there and lived there.......knew they called it Tornado Alley...and they knew why.

Tragic what happened..... but its like folks around here who continually rebuild in a flood zone....... its probably going to happen.... but the people use their god given right of choice to live there understanding what can happen.

You can pray for them Brian...... if it makes you feel better....

or send 10 bucks to the red cross.... I wouldnt trust any other charity though....as they are ate up with admin costs.....and you are lucky if 1/2 cent of your dollar actually goes to someone in the form of food,water, blankets or other needed items.

You can send more than 10 bucks to the red cross.... I just thru the 10 bucks out there cause they have that 10 bucks a text thing.
    May Allah Guide Us Towards The Right Path and move us towards a better understanding of Allah and Allahs Creation.

Our sheetmetal shop has a beading machine and someone put a big Tennessee sign in orange letters on it..... but they spelled Tennessee as

T e n e s s ee.....lol

The funny thing is they had someone make those fancy stick on letters up..... so the shop people who got together and purchased the letters for the sign and the people who sold them the letters.....didnt know how to spell "Tennessee"

And people wonder why I come home grouchy.....and why I arrive at work grouchy....

Its cause I work with Te n esseans......lol
    May Allah Guide Us Towards The Right Path and move us towards a better understanding of Allah and Allahs Creation.

Well I just spoke to someone who grew up in Oklahoma and she says tornado coverage on your homeowners policy is cost prohibitive just like earthquake insurance in CA. It is very likely that those people's losses are not covered. The media obviously knows this and avoids bringing it up. But how crass and insensitive it is of me to even wonder such a thing.
    Rates will go up for everyone but standard policies covers damage from tornadoes.
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/05/...ome-insurance/

York's HQ is in Oklahoma. Still getting updates but yeah, some close to us lost their homes and valuables.

Luckily it looks like they all made it though. Last I heard anyway.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Amazing the fatalities weren't higher. Like Hurricans in Florida and the Gulf, these events are all too common and deadly. Prayers to eveyone invloved.

Hopefully they will rethink the need for shleters and basements in that region. Some keejerk reaction are good ones. There was an aritcle explaining why they are so uncommon. Basically being the South, the frostline isnt; very deep, so adding a basement is a very large cost and being uncommon there's not ROI. Whereas in the North, you are already going 4-6' deep, so why not go a few feet deeper and pour a floor is the thinking. Even where I grew up in Michigan, depsite most home being built below the water table and requiring sump pumps, they still built basements and in nicer neighborhoods most are finished.

We've seen improved building codes dramatically reduce damage in Florida the last few hurricans, hopefully the same will happen in the aftermath of this one.

This disaster did get me to think a little about the safest place in my basement. I still haven't decided. I could probably build a improvised safe room pretty easily in there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast