Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Amazing the fatalities weren't higher. Like Hurricans in Florida and the Gulf, these events are all too common and deadly. Prayers to eveyone invloved.

Hopefully they will rethink the need for shleters and basements in that region. Some keejerk reaction are good ones. There was an aritcle explaining why they are so uncommon. Basically being the South, the frostline isnt; very deep, so adding a basement is a very large cost and being uncommon there's not ROI. Whereas in the North, you are already going 4-6' deep, so why not go a few feet deeper and pour a floor is the thinking. Even where I grew up in Michigan, depsite most home being built below the water table and requiring sump pumps, they still built basements and in nicer neighborhoods most are finished.

We've seen improved building codes dramatically reduce damage in Florida the last few hurricans, hopefully the same will happen in the aftermath of this one.

This disaster did get me to think a little about the safest place in my basement. I still haven't decided. I could probably build a improvised safe room pretty easily in there.
    Correct on all points moto. I have done some of my own building. I frame with screws, hurricane clamps, and proper braces cut in. Nor required by code.

And roy, There are also tornado proof/resistant homes in Wichita Falls Tx. in an area that was wiped out in the 80's. Cinderblock and metal roofs I think. And before I moved away, the trend in high-end homes was to put an above ground shelter in. Basically a concrete closet. When I commented 'nothing above ground s safe' that was indeed factually wrong. True in the case of standard construction.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

On the this is idiotic front.
    Canadian relief for Moore tornado victims denied at border

A Canadian shipment of relief goods bound for storm-ravaged Oklahoma has been stopped at the Canada-U.S. border in Windsor, Ont.

American officials will not allow the 20,000 kilograms of food, blankets and diapers into the country until every item on board is itemized in alphabetical order and has the country of origin of every product noted.

Dennis Sauve, the volunteer co-ordinator for Windsor Lifeline Outreach and the food bank co-ordinator at the Windsor Christian Fellowship, the two organizations that gathered the goods, said it's a "physical impossibility" to do the paperwork required in time to get the perishable food to Oklahoma before it spoils.

Because U.S. President Barack Obama hasn't declared Moore, Okla., tornado a disaster area, the 52-foot trailer of goods is considered a commercial shipment rather than humanitarian aid.

Sauve's group secured skids of food donated from Heinz Canada, a refrigerated truck from ADT Transportation and fresh fruits and vegetables from a number of greenhouses in Leamington, Ont., southeast of Windsor.

The shipment was to be sent to the Gate Church or Oklahoma City, about 20 minutes away from the devastation.

Bishop Tony Miller called the hang-up "very unfortunate." He said his church has been waiting to receive the goods all week.

Sauve said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is now asking for documentation of every item on the truck, including manufacturer's documentation and country of origin before it will approve the shipment as "safe for consumption."
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-re...185544115.html
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    But the Kenyan did declare Moore a disaster area....

I believe the problem may have been in the destination of the truck. It was destined for Moore but for some church about 20 miles away that may not have been in the declared disaster zone area.

Either that or some dumbass at the border isnt doing his job correctly and should be caned till he passes out then revived and the process repeated about a dozen times....

Government at work....

Anyhow...looks like they let the truck thru.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123