Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sympathy for those in Oklahoma

Just heard about the carnage. Mother Nature can show us how small we are.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

The loss of life is terrible but what I would like to know is if those people really lost everything by not having tornado coverage? The media just won't tell us. They'd rather focus on the drama of it all.

To me, losing a house doesn't mean much if I walked away from it and it is all covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    The loss of life is terrible but what I would like to know is if those people really lost everything by not having tornado coverage? The media just won't tell us. They'd rather focus on the drama of it all.

To me, losing a house doesn't mean much if I walked away from it and it is all covered.
    Perhaps it would be better to save that discussion until the dead, injured, homeless, missing and damaged are in more secure circumstances.

I was more concerned about the people.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Yea... its not like they lost vacation houses...... these folks lost their homes....memories.... loved ones etc......
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

This is a very unfortunate catastrophe and I wish I could donate my time to help there, however I did donate some money to the Red Cross. Here are the instructions if you would like to donate as well:

http://www.redcross.org/news/press-r...lahoma-Tornado

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Perhaps it would be better to save that discussion until the dead, injured, homeless, missing and damaged are in more secure circumstances.
    They could fit it right into the news reporting without showing any disrespect at all, but they won't cover it now or later.

If they are anything like CA where earthquake insurance in cost prohibitive and the state coverage is no better than a $60K deductible, then those people have no tornado insurance. So they did not only lose their homes, they lost their nest egg and will be filing for bankruptcy to-boot to get out from under the mortgages. But faulting them in news segments for not having coverage would confuse the sympathetic tone of the news stories.

FWIW - I was waiting for the news stations to tell us if the cabin that Chris Dorner was burned in would be covered by insurance since the police vengefully burnt it down. I wouldn't be surprised if those poor people were refused reimbursement and lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. But who cares, we're on to the next story now and like heck if the police would pay for their misdeeds.

When sh*t like this happens you should drop down onto your hands and knees and thank the lord.... your lucky stars.... or whoever/whatever you believe in that it aint you.

I remember years ago on a cold ass winter night..... I mean it was cold....people without power.....snow and ice...... bad winter storm.

I went into the kitchen at like 3 in the morning and made a pot of coffee......turned on the tv.....and made a sandwich and I became completely overwhelmed about just how good we had it in this old house with the old cars and the house full of stuff that aint new....and aint fancy like other folks got.

I just had to drop down and thank the lord....
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Just heard about the carnage. Mother Nature can show us how small we are.
    I am sorry.

Once again, I am going to bring this up. I grew up in tornado alley. Those things can sweep a modern home down to the foundation slab. That is all that is left, just the slab foundation. We do not usually have basements in this area of the country, due too a a high freeze-line, just slabs with appropriate footings. Trailer parks are not 'tornado magnets' they get hit hard because they are off the ground to begin with and usually poorly constructed.

What you need to survive a tornado is a storm cellar. I have not bought one, but we are basically talking somewhere in the 15 thousand dollar range for a commercial sale. I'll bet half the houses wiped off the map in Oklahoma are worth less than the cost of a new storm cellar. Nobody buys them, it would be a foolish waste of money, you take your chances.

You must get underground. Tornadoes do not plow. All you need is a basic pod to jump into, a 55 gallon barrel built into the slab of your home floor, below ground level. Probably cost about 300 dollars. Fits two in an emergency, unless you are an extreme fatass of some sort.

Nothing above ground level is safe, nothing below ground level is unsafe.

Storm pods.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I am sorry.

Once again, I am going to bring this up. I grew up in tornado alley. Those things can sweep a modern home down to the foundation slab. That is all that is left, just the slab foundation. We do not usually have basements in this area of the country, due too a a high freeze-line, just slabs with appropriate footings. Trailer parks are not 'tornado magnets' they get hit hard because they are off the ground to begin with and usually poorly constructed.

What you need to survive a tornado is a storm cellar. I have not bought one, but we are basically talking somewhere in the 15 thousand dollar range for a commercial sale. I'll bet half the houses wiped off the map in Oklahoma are worth less than the cost of a new storm cellar. Nobody buys them, it would be a foolish waste of money, you take your chances.

You must get underground. Tornadoes do not plow. All you need is a basic pod to jump into, a 55 gallon barrel built into the slab of your home floor, below ground level. Probably cost about 300 dollars. Fits two in an emergency, unless you are an extreme fatass of some sort.

Nothing above ground level is safe, nothing below ground level is unsafe.

Storm pods.
    We do not get too many tornado's here and not on the scale you do. So are you saying that because you do not get frost very deep in the ground there is little incentive to pour money into the ground? Around here it is a mater of course a house is built with a basement, mind you the frost line dictates that. I would think if anyone would need them is people in tornado alley. If we had the frequency of twisters that they do I am sure basments would be part of the building code.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    We do not get too many tornado's here and not on the scale you do. So are you saying that because you do not get frost very deep in the ground there is little incentive to pour money into the ground? Around here it is a mater of course a house is built with a basement, mind you the frost line dictates that. I would think if anyone would need them is people in tornado alley. If we had the frequency of twisters that they do I am sure basments would be part of the building code.
    Houses here are built without basements. Your freeze-line in Oklahoma city is only about 2 feet, so your typical foundation is just a slab poured on the ground with two feet footings around the paremiter. No basement, not even a crawl-space, they just pour concrete on the ground at surface level. Frame on top from there. Storm shelters are rare, basements are rare.

Most okies are not going to make a big deal of this, not that they do not care less than any one else, I think they are among the most empathetic and kindest peoples on the earth. Fact of life, inherent risk. Tornadoes happen, and they kill. It is understood from childhood. Odds are, you will not be a victim of a tornado in Oklahoma.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

They could fit it right into the news reporting without showing any disrespect at all, but they won't cover it now or later.
    The question you want answered smacks of "Blame the Victim."

Not really an appropriate time or place for tht type of question.

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    The question you want answered smacks of "Blame the Victim."

Not really an appropriate time or place for tht type of question.
    I've watched quite a bit of coverage now and a lot of the people are so cavalierly saying "we'll just rebuild". Well does that mean they have an extra $200,000 lying around or are the insurance companies picking up the tab? If someone said "hey, I'm going down to pick up a Ferrari Enzo", wouldn't you wonder how they can afford it?

And it isn't "blaming the victim". In California's case, it is blame the insurance companies for not making earthquake insurance affordable. My question does not critique the homeowners. It is simply "do the insurance companies make tornado insurance in tornado alley affordable"? What is so demeaning about that question?

It is an apples to apples comparison between insurance companies doing business in tornado alley vs. earthquake country. You'd think tornados do more damage than an occasional earthquake which should make tornado polices higher than earthquake insurance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast