Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane XR-15 vs XR-16: SW Florida

I am building a new house in SW Florida.
    The HVAC contractor is trying to convince me to upgrade from the XR-15 to the XR-16 for better dehumidification.

The problem is that the price jump from the XR-15 to XR-16 seems absurd to me. I can get two whole home dehumidifers for the same amount it would cost me to upgrade to the XR-16.

So, is my HVAC contractor just trying to make an obscene profit off of me or is he giving me good advice to ditch the two whole home dehumidifers for the XR-16?

Thanks

I wouldn't do it. If home has good building and insulation qualities, I would just get the XR15 with HW VP IAQ thermostat that has "dehumidify on demand" feature.

Of course the HW VP IAQ can handle the control of auxiliary equipment as well.

IMO
    Last edited by tigerdunes; 05-21-2013 at 12:25 PM.

The price jump shouldn't be that large.

+1 on the VP IAQ and dehumidify on demand.

A WHD isn't a bad option either.

if price jump would cover cost of two whole house
    dehumidifiers...something is wrong.
    maybe two stand alone dehumidifiers?

my house dehumidifies very well with 15 SEER heat pump
    with vs air handler & one ultra aire whole house dehumidifier.

check with another hvac company who understands dehumidification
    & sizing the unit.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

I think I may have made a mistake. The quote says "XR series" and then specifies 14 SEER. So, he was probably quoting an XR13 initially, not an XR15.

I guess the question still applies though. XR13 with variable speed blower and WH dehumidifier or XR16 with variable speed blower and no WH dehumidifier?

My first recommendation still stands.

IMO

is this heat pump unit? or a/c with electric strip?
    I'd opt for heat pump.

here is link to brochure for heat pump unit 15 SEER
    http://www.buildersheating.com/conte...09-13%20RO.pdf

I'm not real familiar with trane specs, others here are.
    I'd still recommend vs air handler, 15 SEER & heat pump.
    works well in hot humid La. which is very much like your climate.

13 SEER is the least efficient unit you can purchase.
    in cooling climates the least efficient isn't always the best choice.
    two things you want are humidity control & low operating costs.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    is this heat pump unit? or a/c with electric strip?
    I'd opt for heat pump.

here is link to brochure for heat pump unit 15 SEER
    http://www.buildersheating.com/conte...09-13%20RO.pdf

I'm not real familiar with trane specs, others here are.
    I'd still recommend vs air handler, 15 SEER & heat pump.
    works well in hot humid La. which is very much like your climate.

13 SEER is the least efficient unit you can purchase.
    in cooling climates the least efficient isn't always the best choice.
    two things you want are humidity control & low operating costs.

best of luck.
    It is the heat pump unit.

What would be a reasonable upgrade cost from an XR 13 5 ton to XR15 5 ton, and also from an XR 13 3.5 ton to XR15 3.5 ton?

The initial upgrade from XR13 to XR16 for both units comes out to a total of around 5k. Hopefully, I can upgrade to the XR15 for 2.5k or so. That's the only way I can really see saving money over 10 years.

PRicing can;t be discussed here. Too many viarbles in every situation to evaluate pricing. 5K might be a great deal in one place and a poor deal in another situation.

My first question actually is, do you even need a 5 ton. It take a pretty large home even in FLorida to require 5 tons. It's more humid than it is hot in SW Florida. Very easy to oversize there because it "Feels hot" all the time.

Frequency of hot days does not determine sizing. If it did, the larger furnaces would actually be installed in the Pacific Northwest because it's cool there most of hte year. IN reality, it's cool often but not cold, so furnaces run a lot more, but are almost 1/2 the size on one in midwest.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-22-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

Well where do I start. If you are looking at XR 13 as the base model and then looking at the XR 16 there is a big diffrence between the two.

What are the model #'s he has quoted? While the XR16/XR17 depending on the model can be a (2) stage condenser or heat pump which in most all cases mean they would also go from a plan air handler or furance to a variable speed which is a poplar match.

This along can make the price increase. Basic system with a XR 13 and fixed speed indoor unit compaired to XR 16 (2 stage/step) condenser or heat pump paired with either a variable speed air handler or furnace is like day vs night.

What I am getting at is this. Ask them what the differance is between the base model vs the mid range models. If they are paired a XR 16/ XR 17 with a variable speed the price will jump up but keep in mind while there is nothing wrong with base model Trane system when you go up to XR 16/XR 17 system when paired with a variable speed indoor unit. You get a mid range system that offers comfort and cheaper operation. The pay back is longer but the comfort is there for the life of the system.

So again I would ask what the Diffrence beside cost? The way I think about it like this it's a basic car compaired to having a mid range car with some features you want and will enjoy for the life of the system.

Proper sized system, Efficient operation, and comfort are the three things to look at. Just be carefully to choose the Contactor and the system as you will leave with it for the next 15-20 years. A little more $$$ know vs comfort and eff. Is good investment over the life if the system.

A variable speed air handler is already specced with the XR13. So the only difference is in changing the condensing unit.

Can you elaborate how my comfort will be increased with the trane 2 stage unit? My understanding is that the two stage unit operates at either 80% or 100% speed.

If you want the best of 2 stage get the Trane 20i (matched with TAM8). It operates at 50% on low stage, so longer runtimes and better dehumidification as I presume is much needed in your location. I have had one for close to one year now, and I can at least tell you it has made a noticeable difference in comfort and even temperatures both winter and summer over the old single stage system it replaced. True, the XR16/XL16i performs at closer to 75-80% capacity on low stage (as all unloading scroll systems do), but when not oversized and set up properly it would perform well. If you can't justify the increase in cost for better comfort, that's just fine as well. A properly sized and installed single stage system will provide you with reliable comfort as well. Ductwork also matters -- proper size to handle airflow required and ample return/supply grille area. Since you're building new, now is the time to get this part of the design done correctly as it is a very big contributor to your overall home comfort, 2-stage or not. Many times you will find new homes with undersized and/or poorly designed ductwork leading to comfort issues and unbalanced air distribution throughout the home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast