Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gps

Gps

What is everyone’s' opinion if your work truck is or would be equipped with GPS solely for the purpose of tracking your vehicle??

Think it would be great! It would do away with a lot of dead wood!

i understand the logic, but who is going to determine where and when you went somewhere and if it was business related. would you save money by hiring someone to track down all of the techs movements in the GPS, compare that to the work tickets, pay the techs to explain where they were and why?

sometimes business is business. but sometimes business can be an "on your honor" thing too. sometimes i work overtime and i don't even write it down...sometimes the office pays me to go home because there isn't any point in sending me to a job for 15 minutes. i think GPS would fall into the last category. if i stop by my accountants office to sign some paperwork and it is a little out of the way...so what. if i drive a little farther to meet my wife for a rare lunch (nooner?), but i get my work done...is that really all that bad?
    How to make the perfect "Half-Hitch" knot or any other boyscout knot in 3 easy steps...

1. Remove your meter leads from the meter and very carefully return them to their storage case or bag.
    2. Wait 2 seconds
    3. Very carefully remove your meter leads from their storage place and enjoy your new knot!

I agree with Jayguy but perhaps in a more outward way...

I usually don't input to employment related questions, but because this has directly affected me in the past, I couldn't resist..

Before the GPS systems they used radio-triangulation systems that did the same thing. It would triangulate your position and constantly send back your vehicle position to the office via uhf radio channels.

Placing a "big brother" system in someone's truck just screems "I don't trust you". My question is why?? Are your guys gettin their work done? Are customers complaining? There really needs to be a reason why you'd so closely monitor your employees unless you are just paranoid OR you have a bunch of men who love to f the day off..... or maybe your are a control freak and can't help yourself but to micro-manage.

I've personally quit two companies that have put those in the work vehicles. Even though my work vehicle wasn't on the menu.
    I feel working for a company that blankets invasion of privacy isn't worth working for, even if its not my own privacy, but those I work with instead.

On the otherhand... If you have a tech who's getting complaints, QA is showing he's not doing work he's billed, or billing excess time to jobs, then fine, just sack him.

The whole idea of tracking is just freaky and goes beyond QA. It's delves into an unhealthy attitude of control and mistrust from a boss who's too lazy to get off his ass and see for himself.

Any tech who's at all decent in his work (intelligent) will be offended and shop you out for a company that shows a bit of trust.

The tech who's very average in his job, lucky to have one, doesn't mind an occassional ass-kissin session with the boss will be just fine. Or did I miss the mark drk?

Get rid of your dead wood by gettin outta your ez chair.

The above is just my opinion...

I agree to the GPS to some degree. If somebody wants to stop off on the way home to sign some paperwork , or grab a gallon of milk, that's fine. That would be a bad use for it. But if I'm a business owner and your taking my truck without permission on a Saturday to Home Depot and loading up with lumber, then there is a problem. Good use for GPS here.

alpha, if you are a business owner and you value your techs so low as to be concerned about them grabbing a load of lumber in your precious truck, (that they use to make you fortunes) then you don't deserve decent techs.

Where's the loyalty with a slum-lord boss who's so concerned about a few miles on the odometer and a bit of fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by tex~n~oz View Post
    alpha, if you are a business owner and you value your techs so low as to be concerned about them grabbing a load of lumber in your precious truck, (that they use to make you fortunes) then you don't deserve decent techs.

Where's the loyalty with a slum-lord boss who's so concerned about a few miles on the odometer and a bit of fuel?

I am not a business owner, as I made clear in my post. I said "If I was a business owner". I was at one time years ago. That's why I feel that I am qualified to post on this subject.

The point isn't about a load of lumber in the "precious truck". The point is that someone might be using that vehicle after hours in a non work related situation, and get in an accident, maybe hurting someone. All without the bosses knowledge or permission. Who is going to cover the damage, you? Who is going to cover the gas? The Wear and tear on the vehicle ? Do we send the bill to you?

Hell, Why stop at Home Depot? Let's allow the Techs to use the truck for groceries on Sunday, go to Aunt Jane's Funeral next week, and even take the truck on his vacation to Florida next month! He won't even need to buy a personal vehicle of his own. Think of the savings for him! He can just use his rich greedy bosses truck all the time, right?

You obviously never have been a business owner. You have no idea what the costs associated with running a business are.

I guess we may as well get ready for it. As cheap as GPS is getting and as much as insurance companies like to screw with people it will be a certain eventuality in the future. Just as they put those back up alarms to save on insurance the tracking of vehicle speed and usage will make it a large deduction soon. Just like all advances some scum bag companies are going to abuse it and if they do you should be a good enough technician to leave and have a new job in twenty minutes. I dont care if guys stop by HD after work or go on the weekends, help their brother move etc. Good techs are hard to find and if that's all they do who cares? If twenty dollars worth of gas is going to break your budget... I mean there are limits..no going out of state or towing boats, even though we have, but good discretion is a must. We all know guys these things are made for though when you call at 2 pm and you hear dogs barking in the back ground or guys that want to bar hop at nite. At my last company they had a guy who got so drunk he had his buddy on a bucket in the front and his girl friend in the passenger side. He ran under a stopped flatbed cutting his Buddie and girl friend in half and did not know until the police stopped him five miles down the road.

Just like everything in life, a couple scumbags ruin it for everyone.
    Two wire hook up, three wire f**k up.

Normally the people how are against GPS are the ones who are screwing off or doing something they shouldn't be doing. Most owners don't mind the short trip to the bank, store, but when a tech drives 30 mi. to that free lunch at the supplier he has the right to be pissed. Vehicle cost and lost time can put you out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha480v View Post
    I am not a business owner, as I made clear in my post. I said "If I was a business owner". I was at one time years ago. That's why I feel that I am qualified to post on this subject.
    I was speaking hypothetically, but I guess you didn't get the gist.

The point isn't about a load of lumber in the "precious truck". The point is that someone might be using that vehicle after hours in a non work related situation, and get in an accident, maybe hurting someone. All without the bosses knowledge or permission. Who is going to cover the damage, you? Who is going to cover the gas? The Wear and tear on the vehicle ? Do we send the bill to you?
    No.. You pay your part, the insurance company pays the previously mentioned claims. You just can't stand that someone might be using YOUR truck!! Here's a guy who's been making you $30+/hr all day and you're heart broken that he didn't beg permission to use your truck for a trip to the lumber yard!!

Hell, Why stop at Home Depot? Let's allow the Techs to use the truck for groceries on Sunday, go to Aunt Jane's Funeral next week, and even take the truck on his vacation to Florida next month! He won't even need to buy a personal vehicle of his own. Think of the savings for him! He can just use his rich greedy bosses truck all the time, right?
    I'll address this one below..

You obviously never have been a business owner. You have no idea what the costs associated with running a business are.
    Wanna compare Curriculum vitae?

Actually, my family owns a 3rd generation mechanical contracting company in the states that is VERY financially secure. The mean average employment in years for the company was 11.7 years per person (1996). I worked and learned from the best in the industry inside that company for over 15 years; leaving a top management position, on good terms, to travel the world. Why? Now is my time to go, do, and enjoy life as I've been blessed with the insight to realize that we only have ONE life on this Earth and I refuse to lay on my death-bed wishing more time to go and do the things I've always wanted...

I carefully choose who I work for as my reputation is more important to me than money and I have absolutely NO problem finding work in any country I choose to live in.
    I pick medium sized, privately owned businesses. I refuse to be a number for the big corps.

I was paid a very handsome bonus when I left and therefore don't have to work for sustenance. I work because I enjoy it, though I'll be retiring soon.
    *YES there was money left over from all those pesky employees using our work vehicles to go grocery shopping!!*

Do I understand business?? I am well educated with good business sense and I know full-well what the costs and overhead for any company are. Yes, including fleet costs broken down in cost/mile, cost/hour, lost investment income, alternate insurance liability, model/time/mileage depreciation, and even cost/year for personal use as compared to salary sacrificing benefits...
    Guess what??? It's about $3.5k a year per vehicle..... including liability.
    In fairness, it's probably more than that now as these are '96 figures, but the company charges more, so it remains on even keel.
    If you wanna be completely above board, you add the vehicle as a salary sacrifice component and your employees pay taxes on the benefit.

I'll be brutally honest and say that your turning wrenches for someone else tells me that you didn't make the best business decisions. I'm not here to salt wounds but you did hand me the salt-shaker.

In my opinion, you sound like someone who would over-control, micro-manage, and be a bit hhhmmm.. "suspiciously" suspicious of his employees..

You so easily state:
    Let's allow the Techs to use the truck for groceries on Sunday, go to Aunt Jane's Funeral next week, and even take the truck on his vacation to Florida next month!

And I say every teenage girl who's ever smoked marijuana has become a crack-whore. A completely unfounded and irresponsible suggestion that would rightfully anger most women in the world, yet you would be willing to make an equally irreparable statement about the men who make your company? Do you really think the owner is the company?
    Do you realize the owner manages the company while the men make it?
    NOW you condone putting a "silicon manager" in their vehicles so they can be tracked like dogs on an electronic leash?

I say maintain a friendly but professional relationship, implement sound QA, performance manage your techs, give them a few benefits and freedoms, and keep the GPS out of their phones and trucks. You can BS a GPS but you can't fool a quality control check.

Hmm

Normally you could say hey no big deal but as everyone knows starting something like this just grows. The power to monitor is just too much for some managers, supervisors or owners. You would think if the employees are doing you right then why fix what is not broken. No one is perfect and micro managing people only gives a bad taste. I could under stand it if it came down to some one loosing there job for abuse and after many warnings the good worker but abusive company truck user gets a gps. But if you can’t trust your people with your own equipment how can a customer trust them to have full run of there personal space honestly repair equipment provide an accurate bill while working in there place of business or home.

One of the reasons I quit a company was because of the GPS. I was down in Herdon in a section that was all torn up, passed the same stack of street signs twice. They office wouldn't tell me where I was at, and what direction to go in. They were too cheap to include a GPS screen I could use. They had no problem docking my pay for me being lost. Also when I parked the van in my garage the GPS signal disappeared, which they gave constant grief over.

I think management needs the GPS. I can never find my boss, project engineer, or sales staff between 11:00 & 1:30 or friday afternoons.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast