Limited Airflow Upstairs

I recently purchased a 2 story aprox. 2600 sq ft home with an ac unit for downstairs and a seperate unit for upstairs. Upstairs we have the master bedroom, master bath, walkin closet, full guest bath, 3 other bedrooms and a bonus room over the garage. The bonus room and master bedroom both have vaulted ceilings.

Here recently the weather in TN has really started heating up so we finally turned the ac on and have discovered that there is little to no air flow from any of the vents. Called the home warranty company, they sent out a tech, and he instantly told me I needed a bigger unit. He then threw out a best guess on price for total replacement and left. (Needless to say not very impressed). I then hired another company to come out and look. This tech was much more professional and told me that the duct work needed to be cleaned up and resealed, and the unit was low on freon. I sent this report into the warranty company so they sent out a 3rd tech. This tech said the unit was too small and basically even in ideal conditions it would never work because there were too many registers for the unit (10 total upstairs). He told me that I should add another unit for half the rooms and the master and let the current unit supply the bonus room and other bedrooms.

I am just looking for a little guidance. Not really sure what to do at this point has we have had basically 3 different suggestions. Any ideas?

Thanks,

First, do not trust the home warranty people! Can you spell "ripoff"? The 2nd guy sounded more right on if I had to guess from here. Poor ductwork design is a major problem in our business.

Techs don't normally know much about duct design. I'm not being critical of techs, it's just not their thing. Most sales people (anymore) don't know much about duct design either or they just don't want to mess with it (no money to be made).

On another note..........once you find some one with some knowledge.........ask about zoning the second floor system. Again, it'll be hard to find someone knowledgable, but it'll be worth the effort.

George,

Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with you about the home warranty but it was provided by the sellers as part of our purchase, so I was trying to use them if they would cover anything.

Any idea on what type of work we are talking about if ductwork needs to be redesigned? In zoning the second floor system are we talking about adding another unit/replacing the current unit/ect? Not a lot of knowledge on these types of things just enough from my grandfather who was a maintance man for 30 years for a school district and a dad who has worked in home repair/remodel most of his life to get myself in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop123 View Post
    George,

Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with you about the home warranty but it was provided by the sellers as part of our purchase, so I was trying to use them if they would cover anything.

Any idea on what type of work we are talking about if ductwork needs to be redesigned? In zoning the second floor system are we talking about adding another unit/replacing the current unit/ect? Not a lot of knowledge on these types of things just enough from my grandfather who was a maintance man for 30 years for a school district and a dad who has worked in home repair/remodel most of his life to get myself in trouble.
    Some warranty....you probably had to pay just to get them to your home.........sounds like being self insured to me.

The existing ductwork, if you're really lucky, could be okay. It might just need to be re-sealed.

The type of zoning I'm referring to is to install automatic (duct) dampers that are controlled by individual thermostats.

I have a small (2,250 s.f.) two story home zoned with three thermostats using one furnace & A/C system.