Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new Carrier heat pump increases electric bill?

Last month I just put in a new CARRIER heat pump. My electric bill increases 50%. Does this seem right? Do you think there is default in the installation to cause my electric bill so high. I normally average $100 a month with my old heat pump. I live in a 3 story townhome by myself. Below is what I installed. I programmed the thermostat where it is 66 degrees when I leave, 68 degrees when I come home, and 70 degrees when I go to bed. I also installed a new whirlpool water heater. The water heater is set 120 degrees.
    Is there something I should check with the heat pump or ask the installer to check?

Carrier 25HPA530a003 heat Pump
    Carrier FV4BNF002 air handler
    Carrier KFCEH0901N10 electric heat
    Carrier TSTATCCPHP01 programmable thermostat

Thanks for all the advices.

Uhhh, new whirlpool waterheater? Didja have a whirlpool before when your bills were $100 ??

I installed the new whirlpool water heater a week after my heat pump My old water heater was 11 yrs old and I think it was made by GE.

Sound like your running in constant aux. heat mode. A fifteen seer heat pump should have knocked your electric bill down to 75 - 80 bucks. Then again could be the new water heater.

I checked my thermostat to make sure it is not running on aux heat and it isn't. The setting on the water heat is energy smart and the temperature is at 120 degrees. Should I have the heat pump company and the water heater company come back out to check the installation? Is there something I can do and check before calling them back to verify the installation? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blveitva View Post
    I checked my thermostat to make sure it is not running on aux heat and it isn't. The setting on the water heat is energy smart and the temperature is at 120 degrees. Should I have the heat pump company and the water heater company come back out to check the installation? Is there something I can do and check before calling them back to verify the installation? Thanks.

Yes!

The system is probably wired wrong,

I have seen this may times. The wiring is probably bring on the back up resistance heat with every call of the thermostat.

Try this test first turn on you system set thermostat to bring unit on, go outside is the condensing unit running? If not your heating with the backup heating system.

Instead try this, set your thermostat to the same position check the outlet temperature of the blower make a small hole with an ice pick in the ducting above the outlet of the blower coil (do not punch a hole in the coil) record the temperature using a thermometer that can be inserted in this hole and into the air stream, now set the thermostat 10 degrees above the room temperature. Wait a few minutes, if the temperature does not increase the electrical elements are coming on every time the compressor is.
    Last edited by show me the money; 03-01-2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Removed the scary electrical parts

I will give it a try. If what you say is true, then I should have the installer come out and double check the installation. Thanks for your advice.

When I increase the temperature on the thermostat, the outside unit turn on. I did not do the second test. I did call the installer to come out. He checked the inside and outside unit and said it was good. When he used his temperature gauge to see what the room temperature is and compare what it is on the thermostat, it was off by 5 degrees. The installer will verify if his temperature gauge is accurate before replacing the thermostat. Do you think replacing the thermostat will fix the problem?

most heat pumps put out a supply temp of 90 to 95-100 max depending upon return air temp if you see 120 from your supply registers it is likely your heat strips are also on
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

[QUOTE=blveitva;1392 I programmed the thermostat where it is 66 degrees when I leave, 68 degrees when I come home, and 70 degrees when I go to bed. [/QUOTE]

Did you have programmable thermostat before or did you set it at one temperature all day. A 2 degree difference between room temperature and actual setting will, with most thermostats, cause the auxiliary heat to come on. Try setting your thermostat for one temperature all day long and see if that doesn't help? It sounds like 3 times a day your auxiliary heat may be coming on when it may not be necessary

I did have a programmable thermostat before. Since the system was so old, I set it to one temperature all day. After the last bill, I have set it to one temperature to see if it was the cause. I didn't know the aux heat kick in with the change in setting. Thanks for your advice.

You could also have them lock out your aux heat above a certain outside temp.....preferably the balance point of your home, or try 30 degrees. If your bills are up, it sounds like both your heatpump and aux heat are running, not one or the other. I doubt the water heater is the guilty party if they replaced the old with the same size new. Speaking of which, was your old heatpump the same size as the new?
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast