Question York Evap Coil Replacement Formicary Corrosion - AHRI Matching

I have a York Affinity 5 ton split system model number YZE06011A with coil model MC60D3XH1A. R-410A system. It was put into service in Feb-2007 when we built our house. The gas furnace is in the attic along with the failed coil.

Service history:
    coil replaced 8/18/2010
    added freon 3/29/2012
    replaced service port valve down assembly 7/09/2012
    coil leaking again 4/19/2013

The first coil was a blue fin. The currently failed coil isn't blue fin but still has copper tubes. York won't fix since warranty was only 5 years & this is 6 years old. I suspect the coil may have been leaking in 2012 when more refrigerant was added but that is neither here nor there. York's replacement is the same copper tubes that resulted in the second one failing after 2.5 years.

Formicary corrosion (ant's nest) is the root cause of both coil failures. I don't know if it was internal or external to the coils though. If external, then not much I can do to reduce the organic acids in the ambient air, that I'm aware of at least. If internal, then it doesn't matter now b/c I'm not getting another coil from York anyway. I realize that formicary corrosion is an industry wide problem but some mfg have implemented some sort of solution by either tin coating the copper or moving to an all aluminum coil. I'm trying to find another brand but fit & AHRI matching might be an issue.

I'm considering the following & would appreciate your thoughts. I'm still waiting on the Trane & Carrier contractors to get back with a quote. I'm mostly worried about proper matching. I do understand that the contractor selection is very important, but want to learn as much as I can to ensure that everything else goes well. I've tried to already reduce the field to contractors that I would actually use prior to getting a quote so as to not waste anyone's time.

Bryant model CNPHP6124ALA from contractor A
    Payne model CNPHP6024ALA from contractor B
    Trane ?
    Carrier ?

What's the difference between the two coil model #s that I've been quoted. Both are all aluminum units (with copper stub outs). The Bryant coil is from their Preferred line. Why would I not get a coil from their Evolution line? Pricing is almost identical so far.

Thank you.

You will not get an AHRI rating with those matches. They may be the only coils from those manufacturers that fit your furnace. You may or may not really care, considering that the unit is already installed and has been for some time. Blue fin coils had problems. If you are having repeat evap leaks, it may be your environment (as you suggested) that is contributing to the issue. Aspen is a coil manufacturer who's coils are commonly matched with equipment to achieve desired AHRI ratings(efficiency ratings) and are regularly paired with York equipment. I understand that you are upset with york but they have recently come out with a new E coat coil that is designed to stand up better to formicary environments. I believe that they have a beefed up warranty on the coil as well. This may be your best fit for ease of installation, AHRI ratings and addressing environmental factors.

I contacted Aspen, but they don't have a rep for Alabama. Therefore, they won't sell to me directly as a homeowner. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    I'm not upset with York as I try to keep emotions out of it.

Just got back from York in Wichita Kansas where the evaps are made .....looked like they were using American copper that felt thicker than some brands.

I hope they do ok (York coils) because we are putting many new sysyems in an I'm sick of changing coils.

Since JCI took over York and brought manufacturing back to the US their quality control is wayyyy better. We've installed hundreds upon hundreds of systems with no evap coil leaks since the blue coil fiasco (knock on wood).

are you sure the leak is in the coil. i would want the coil isolated and pressure tested
    We really need change now

I can't be sure the leak is in the coil as I don't have the appropriate leak detector. However, I've had 2 contractors in the house to look at it. So, it goes back to having a reliable contractor. That's about all that I can do.

The Trane coil model quoted is 4TXCD064BC3HCB. Would this be correct for a 5-ton 15 SEER system?

It is essentially the same price as the Bryant. Both offer 10-yr warranty.

It appears that the Bryant coil is from their Preferred line but the Evolution line uses the same coil model. Is that true?