Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

almost definite concern, maybe causing others?

Goodman 2-stage 3-ton HP with modulating propane furnace, comfortnet t-stat. Furnace put in last spring, HP put in 2 weeks ago. tech coming out for final charge adjustment and check when it gets hot out. Been running HP for cold mornings, works great.. But... I've been scrolling through the t-stat, and on several occasions, have found a high voltage trouble code. I logged the voltage coming into my house and it averages 246, min 245, with max spike of 252, logged for an hour about 10:00pm last night. This seems high to me, and if I caught 252 then I am sure I am crossing the threshold of 253 that I see in the manual as the upper limit. I think I should call my power company, do you agree?
    So, this morning, calling for heat, 34 degrees outside. I'm on low stage heat, 31 degree temp rise across the coil, system calling for 812 cfm of air, while it is running I scroll through to see if the voltage spiked last night, no codes. T-stat gets satisfied so the heat cycle stops, all is good. I check voltage in my house, currently reading 247. Check for codes just for fun, find 2 new ones.. low indoor airflow, and no indoor airflow. No way. Air was flowing. Filters are pristine. I was here when the install tech checked static pressures, on low total static was .21, on high .48. Voltage issue? The only other thing that comes to mind is because it is comfortnet and the tech installed an outdoor transformer, there is only a need for 2 communication wires, so the tech re-used the low voltage wires from my old AC unit, he said since the run was so short (14 feet) he thought it would be okay, but I see in the manual they suggest twisted pair shielded wire. Could I be getting false error codes because of this? Thoughts?

Some customers are better left to the next guy. Too many headaches.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

The voltage needs to be verified with a actual meter first to make sure the CT's on the condenser are reading voltage correctly. If it is, then yes, that's some consitently high voltage and you utility should consider that a problem. I don't know what range they are required to maintain. It also could be a problem possibly with a transformer near your home.

I would also check voltage on both legs to neutral ot see if there's an imbalance for some reason. The circuit feeding you unit could be swapped to the other side of your panel if there is, but you need an electrican to investigate that further.

WIt ha short run, twisted pair wouldn't matter unless you ran it along with the 220VAC power for the condenser over a long distance or had some other type of noise. The communication should be all digital, so if the signal is corrpted, it would lose communications, not give erroneous data.

Thanks moto.. I design and build machinery where I work, well trained in the use of electrical test equipment, and I do think the voltage is too high overall, just wondering if this is common. I am logging this data NOT near the condensor, so I believe it to be accurate for my property, and the legs are very balanced. I live in the middle of nowhere, high voltage lines come down the property line, I share a transformer with one neighbor only, the power grid is lousy around here, I am not surprised. Think I'll call the power company, see what they say. Am I a headache?

Moto.. just saw the reply on the communication. Thanks. The only thing I can say is the unit did go into defrost, I forgot to mention this before, and it looks like over the course of time there have been others here with comfortnet that have asked about low or no indoor airflow code after/during a defrost. I suppose, since when in defrost the indoor blower is shut down, it could come up with that error.. but it should know better since it is in defrost! I think too much, which is probably why toocool said I was a headache.

I see that high and low voltage code and low id air flow/no air flow and all else seemed fine no complaints from the homeowner so largely I deleted them and that's it.

Now I have had 2 units where indoor motor was totally inoperable and throwing that code due to loose connections between equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by troyport View Post
    Thanks moto.. I design and build machinery where I work, well trained in the use of electrical test equipment, and I do think the voltage is too high overall, just wondering if this is common. I am logging this data NOT near the condensor, so I believe it to be accurate for my property, and the legs are very balanced. I live in the middle of nowhere, high voltage lines come down the property line, I share a transformer with one neighbor only, the power grid is lousy around here, I am not surprised. Think I'll call the power company, see what they say. Am I a headache?
    Now I get it.

First things first, I called the power company and they are going to check my voltage level this morning. 245 - 252 is in fact higher than they want to see! BTW, I get low voltage codes in memory on thr furnace any time the power goes out.

Power company came out, voltage is at the high end of the tolerance during peak hours. They are going to hook up a logging device and let it log for a few days, see if there is a pattern, but since loads go down at night they expect to find what I found.. out of tolerance in the evening.

Response from electric company: Regulators in old step-down transformers about 2 miles away not functioning properly, made repairs. Results: Peak capture after 4 hours of logging during the usual out of range time period was 244v. No error codes on heat pump since. Looks like problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by troyport View Post
    Response from electric company: Regulators in old step-down transformers about 2 miles away not functioning properly, made repairs. Results: Peak capture after 4 hours of logging during the usual out of range time period was 244v. No error codes on heat pump since. Looks like problem solved.
    For now.

Toocool, not sure what I've done to offend you, I've been nothing but courteous and proffesional on the forum, but I'll respectfully ask you to no longer reply to my posts. Thank you. Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast