+ Reply to Thread

Thread: clevland combi oven

Post Likes

clevland combi oven

m#ogs1020

intermitently getting the eo1.1 error message for low water pressure according to manual. I was thinking water circuit scaled up /plugged up. noticed on top of oven it says "no descaler" carved into unit? I guess you can't use de-scaler on this model? doesn't make sense. anybody ever work through this error message? should i be checking water solenoid inlets,plugged inlet to pressure sense? any ideas?

this thing is definetly intimidating-wholy controls

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I didn't see a E1.1 in the manual. I found E1.0, which says:

Tap closed
    Solenoid valve Y4 faulty
    Pressure switch S1 defective
    Dirt filter in the solenoid valve or in the mains water connection dirty
    T-piece for pressure switch / manometer orinjection nozzle in water supply blocked / dirty>clean with needle
    Contact problems between pressure switch andterminal strip X15 of the control module
    Appliance not connected to soft water and thereforeinlet calcified

The manual also has instructions for descaling using Cleveland's "Dissolve" descaler beginning on page 25 of the service manual.

You're correct on the intimidation factor. These things are very complicated - much like the Rational combi ovens I DO see allot of where I work. The Cleveland Convotherms were a rare unit when I did my TWO training courses on them. I worked on exactly ONE in the three or four years they have been out there.

You're also correct in considering scale to be a factor. Those things need to be descaled MONTHLY per the manual. However, if incoming water quality is bad, you might want to find those components delineated in the error code translation, disconnect and inspect for any blockage. The parts manual on partstown.com actually identifies an orifice at the regulator assembly to meter water flow.

You could have poor water flow due to a filter needing changed, a blockage such as sediment in a valve's strainer screen, a failing water control valve or a faulty pressure sensor.

With my lack of actual experience on the Convotherm, that's all I can offer you.

Post Likes
    i agree with de-scale, but for some reason on top the oven in cut out steel letters it says" no descaler" where the manual says to add? it's like a raised bracket with the lettering cut out so you can't miss it, right where you would add?

Post Likes
    Maybe someone eliminated the port on top - for whatever reason I don't know - so now you have to take the side panel off and add the descaler directly. You never know what who did before you - and why.

Cleveland always liked to put the descale port for their steamers on TOP. I work at a resort now with a fleet of Rationals. They have some knuckleheaded ways to put in their descaler too. On their newer SCC line, you gotta have a pump (which they sell you) for putting in descaler. Otherwise - side cover comes off, probes come out and you pour it in with a funnel.

Post Likes
    ya- i see they have some sort of automatic chemical injection. i wander if the chem company added the labeling. it looked pretty legit, cut out in stainless, saying "no descaler" right where you would add it. I'll ask clevland if there is some reason this model can't use de-scaler, but that just don't sound right?

Post Likes
    Yup....calling them is your best bet. They may have designed in a reservoir with some descaler delivery system such as an "eductor" that Groen uses on THEIR combis. If you happen to speak with Jack Muzzio @ Cleveland, pick his brain. He may be a little brusk with you, but he knows his stuff.

Post Likes
    Well crud... I do VAGUELY recall that Cleveland did have an automatic dispense system for those ovens. However, I DON'T recall whether that included boiler descaling or if that was just the their ellaborate "sprinkler" like oven cleaning system.

I actually searched for my training manual, but it's buried somewhere in my garage.

Anyhow, I hope it proves to be an easy fix...

Post Likes
    Ive worked on these off and on, all those things ECTofix said need to be checked. As far as the descaling, most of the units i work on are boilerless, are you sure it has a boiler to descale? The low water pressure error is for the injector(some call it a spritzer) that sprays water into the oven on the element or heat exchanger if it is gas to make the steam.

Post Likes
    thanks. it is gas. should i then be checking the orifice at the spritzer nozzle then too? is that the orifice they are mentioning? And i'm assuming the main inlet water soleniod would be the one with the filter screen to check? thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    thanks. it is gas. should i then be checking the orifice at the spritzer nozzle then too? is that the orifice they are mentioning? And i'm assuming the main inlet water soleniod would be the one with the filter screen to check? thanks
    hello, the error is coming from the pressure switch failing to close, look for a blockage at the screen at the triple solonoid inlet. I think you said this was an oes model, that should be a spritzer unit. The pressure switch is mounted on the regulator assy for the water injection. There is also a pressure gauge on it, if you could watch this gauge during operation , you could see if its maintaining the minimun pressure and you would know where to look and would know if you have a bad pressure switch. I may be wrong about this, but I think its 20 psi. I have also seen filter cartridges plugged up so bad there is no pressure to the unit, I would check for that first.
    Hope this helps

Post Likes
    thanks. its an ogs model. looks like regulator assembly with orifice and switch is just after 3 way solenoid. ill check filter, that inlet, and orifice/switch for blockage. Is it pretty normal to need to remove and clean low/high water probes also? althogh it sounds like they have nothing to do with this error, they should probably be cleaned as well i would think. Hopefully i'll be looking at this tomorrow. thanks for suggestions.

Post Likes
    Im not sure what you mean by low and high water probes? I actually looked at a unit today for the same error, intermittent low water pressure . eo1.1. So the pressure gauge on the regulator assy was just below 15 psi when the solonoid is actiavted to make steam. I called Garland, those pressure switches will open below 15. They should be set between 17 and 20. I adjusted the regulator to 20. Im thinking it was set right at borderline and thats why failing intermittent. Watching that pressure gauge during operation will tell you a lot.
    Let me know how you make out, its funny the exact same thing has happened to me.

Post Likes
    thanks for info. haven't been back to oven yet. clevland did say it sets error at 15psi. so i was also thinking to watch gauge, make sure nothing else is on water line, clean inlet solenoid screen. i think a setting of 20 sounds like a great idea

Post Likes
    An "S" Model convotherm means it is a "spritz" or "spray" model. There is NOT a boiler to pour descaler into. Thats why there is not a "descale" port on top. What you are seeing is exactly as it came from the factory. A model "OGB" would have a boiler and a descale port on top. And being a spritzer, there are no water probes. Very likely an incoming water problem. Filters or inlet screen.

Otherwise, remember thats 20 psi DYNAMIC.

Though the nozzles inside do tend to calcium up easily, that would not cause a low pressure issue.

Hope you made out ok on it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in