backdrafting hwt

So i have a hot water tank and furnace in an enclosed room(furnace room) in the basement. The room does have an outside air intake (8") running into a hard ceiling and across to the other side of the house. When i turn the furnace fan on, close the furnace room door, and shut the door leading downstairs i get negative air pressure downstairs which causes the hot water tank flue gas pipe to backdraft. I live in a fairly new home (built 2005) and am wondering how to remedy this. If i open the door leading downstairs but still have the furnace room door shut, the backdrafting stops.

should i add a new relief (outside air to the furnace room) or have a relief opening by the door leading downstairs.

any suggesstions??

and yes i have turned the furnace off until i fix the problem.

thanks

I would call a professional to take care of the problem. This is not a do it yourself repair. Your family's safety is worth much more than the cost to properly repair the problem.

Ditto.

This is a very serious problem that you should not attempt fixing yourself. I am curious how you discovered it was back-drafting, I'm glad you can still write about it.

The company that I work for as a plumbing company and we see it all the time. You need to have out either a hvac pro or plumbing tech to review this serious problem.

How it passed code is be own me. If like any my area lost homes are not expected before, during or after the home is built. So we see it on homes of all ages. It's sad but true. No permit pulled and a Contactor that does not understand the importance of the water heater, furnace or both can lead to major problems.

I would suggest shuting off the gas to both and making a call ASAP to a pro and get them out to address this and work up a cost to make it right. Post back as I am also curious how you became aware of this. Good you did because you might have just saved you home and your family's life.

I am going to call the home inspection company we used before we bought the house to find out why this wasn't tested during the inspection. I will get a professional to come make any changes to make this safe.

I found the problem as I was installing a new Gshp in the room... As i was testing the airflow, etc. i noticed the problem. I put everything back to its original state and tested the existing furnace. I ran through different scenarios to see what would cause the back draft.

Thanks for all the replies.

most home inspection, at least in my experience and as posted by many here, will have ZERO clue as to what you are asking.

also, there is most likely a statement to this nature on their report; "... we are not liable for anything we find or don't find..." In other words, thanks for paying us to look at your home. This report is worthless for anything other than a possible bargaining chip in your negotiations. If push comes to shove, even then our findings are, most likely, based on little knowledge.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    most home inspection, at least in my experience and as posted by many here, will have ZERO clue as to what you are asking.

also, there is most likely a statement to this nature on their report; "... we are not liable for anything we find or don't find..." In other words, thanks for paying us to look at your home. This report is worthless for anything other than a possible bargaining chip in your negotiations. If push comes to shove, even then our findings are, most likely, based on little knowledge.
    X2 Find a contractor that is NCI and/or BPI certified.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.