Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shark58 View Post
    I am a retired full Colonel (O6), U.S Army Rangers, 30 years. Too many Americans are just plain mis-informed. The United States gets approximately 6% of it's oil from arab countries. We get most of our oil from Africa, Canada, South America and right here in the U.S. As far as Obama goes, he is just plain unqualified!! He has absolutely no idea what he is doing! He got elected because he is Santa Claus! He gives away "free stuff" all day long. The problem is that we, the taxpayers, are paying for all of his "free stuff". He sent cars, buses, vans, pick-up trucks, SUV's and everything else he could get his hands on to get voters to the polls. Both elections had nothing to do with our great nation. It was about numbers. Obama has tripled the national debt, over 50 million people are receiving food stamps and government assistance. Unemployment is at an all time high but no body gives a ****. He got elected because he out-hustled his opponent; twice! When interviewed by professional poll workers, over 80% of the people that voted for Obama have absolutely no idea why they voted for him! And over 80% of those people that voted for him were either black, hispanic, a minority or people on government assistance. These are the facts folks!! READ E'M AND WEEP!!!!!!!!!
    The amount of oil we get has nothing to do with US interests in oil. All that matters is that the oil was traded in US dollars. Research the petro dollar system if you want to understand why. It is the only reason the dollar has any worth at all. You are right though, most Americans are mis-informed, including those whom think they know what's going on.

Mind you I am not a democrat. I would never vote for Obama, but then again I would never vote for the ones he ran against. It is foolish to think that a republican would have done anything differently than obama because the USA has been run exactly the same way since nixon ended the gold standard and created the petro dollar system.

More war, more entitlements, more taxes, more regulation, more control over you by the government.

Thank you for your service to our military. It is appreciated even if the past administrations have abused that service.

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    As you should know, the armed intervention in the middle east, is not solely a US intervention, it is allied intervention, and that being said, the amount oil is then more than the 6% you state. If oil is the argument, and would be deemed as a reasonable argument, then it is not about the actual oil, but "control of the oil."
    As a Colonel, you were paid for by the tax payers, so you are receiving you present from Santa, or if you did for free, then please accept my apology.
    If you had to feed your kids, would for vote for some one who will feed them, or vote for somebody who will not. Let me guess your reply would be a get a well paying job. Catch 22.
    Barbar you owe shark a sincere apology. I can barely contain myself here. You compared his service in the military to those who are living off of "Santa" and many of whom are that way voluntarily because of drug abuse, self induced desire not to work etc. Also he can't be compared to actual government employees who are in many cases grossly overpaid for the education, work load and skills.

Such as Post Office workers, FBI and ATF agents who are paid so much they would turn their own mothers in on trumped up charges if required. In the military you are asked to serve 24/7 at low to nothing pay commensurate with the private sector. Heck I got $160 a month in Korea as a Sgt. and the officers made a little more but not that much. A 2nd Lt only made around $200 a month. With combat pay and one extra hazard pay I got $300 a month in Nam and got wounded twice for the effort with two guys on my track getting killed when hit by an RPG-7. Have a bad hearing loss ever since.

You obviously never have served in the New Zealand military that is for sure because I doubt they pay their troops any more comparatively than we do ours. I do think an apology is due on your part for that remark about receiving a "present" from Santa. I certanily didn't. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

As you should know, the armed intervention in the middle east, is not solely a US intervention, it is allied intervention, and that being said, the amount oil is then more than the 6% you state. If oil is the argument, and would be deemed as a reasonable argument, then it is not about the actual oil, but "control of the oil."
    As a Colonel, you were paid for by the tax payers, so you are receiving you present from Santa, or if you did for free, then please accept my apology.
    If you had to feed your kids, would for vote for some one who will feed them, or vote for somebody who will not. Let me guess your reply would be a get a well paying job. Catch 22.
    WOW!!! You have no clue do you Barbar? You should serioulsy apologize to Shark for making a pitiful attempt to compare military service to taking handouts. I am stunned that you could even try to connect the two. The US military, and especially an ELITE unit like the Rangers, is defintely not a handout by any stretch of the imagination. Many times I have disagreed with your view, but took the time to consider it because you usually had a few valid points. Now you just plain insult a Ranger.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Glen and Control,

You missed my point, is that the Military are also paid for by tax payers. Not just in pay, but food, health, accommodation, education etc. Are you disagreeing with that! What is the value, that is a different question, and well could well be under valued.
    The military industry is also self serving. Are you going to disagree with that.
    I would hope he is not offended by these facts.

Glen and Control,

You missed my point, is that the Military are also paid for by tax payers. Not just in pay, but food, health, accommodation, education etc. Are you disagreeing with that! What is the value, that is a different question, and well could well be under valued.
    The military industry is also self serving. Are you going to disagree with that.
    You don't get it. Being a member of the US Armed Forces is not a handout. They earn every cent of their pay and benefits. I don't see any of the welfare people sleeping in a foxhole to defend our country (not debating if them being there is right or wrong, they are fufilling their obligation) risking their lives. To compare the two is ridiculous, to say the least.

The military is not self serving, at least not the men and women that put their lives on the line. As far as the jacka$$es in command, I would probably agree.

If you can't distinguish the difference, well I won't say it.

Glen and Control,

I think he insulted all the other allies, as if only the US is important, I also think he insulted many who may get govt handouts, through no fault of their own. No I am not talking about drug users, dole bums, but those who are unable to get work, or are discriminated against because of color or creed. When you are in the armed forces you are cocooned from the day to day issues life survival. "you base needs are met"

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    You don't get it. Being a member of the US Armed Forces is not a handout. They earn every cent of their pay and benefits. I don't see any of the welfare people sleeping in a foxhole to defend our country (not debating if them being there is right or wrong, they are fufilling their obligation) risking their lives. To compare the two is ridiculous, to say the least.

The military is not self serving, at least not the men and women that put their lives on the line. As far as the jacka$$es in command, I would probably agree.

If you can't distinguish the difference, well I won't say it.
    I agree the grunts are under payed, but does not change the fact they are paid for by the tax payers, But he separated out those get govt benefits, many are not drop outs, they have not had the opportunity.
    I have great respect for those in the armed forces, but I am not going to put them on a pedestal.
    My comments were in respect to his whole statement. Do not take out of context one word.

I agree the grunts are under payed, but does not change the fact they are paid for by the tax payers, But he separated out those get govt benefits, many are not drop outs, they have not had the opportunity.
    I have great respect for those in the armed forces, but I am not going to put them on a pedestal.
    By your comments its obvious you do not have respect for the Armed Forces. And like it was stated, they do work for their pay and benefits. The ones on the "entitlements" are doing nothing to protect or contribute to society (not counting them having more kids so they can collect more money). That is the difference. There are many (way too many actually) that are getting a government paycheck, but at least they are (usually) doing some type of work to contribute to society.

And unless in a combat zone, I do believe our Armed Forces pay taxes. That would be something else the handout takers do not do.

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    And unless in a combat zone, I do believe our Armed Forces pay taxes. That would be something else the handout takers do not do.
    Yeah and its 24/7 with no time off. Oh in combat you don't have to pay taxes and you do get to mail your first class letters free and hope you make it home in mostly one piece. The pay is nothing though. Many with families don't make ennough and their families qualify for food stamps.

Yeah well paid my ass. I didn't get any dental care for my 3 years of service. Barbar owes everyone in the service past and present an apology big time. I don't think much of him after this. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Well lets clear this up once and for all, Shark, says the govt/obama, is santa, the armed forces are paid by the govt/obama, so he is being paid by Santa. Govt/obama get their money from tax payers.
    Being in the armed forces is a "choice", "I believe that you are not conscripted now a days", this "choice" could be as simple as a career choice, and for some it can also be a lifestyle "choice". As with any "choice" we make, we balance all pros and cons. Shark had chosen his path, it is his right and he was given an opportunity, which he must of took to become a colonel.
    I said the "military industry" is self serving, not the "military"

Yes Barbar, you are correct, I do get paid by the taxpayers, however, I actually work for a living! By the way, I AM A TAXPAYER. I received form W-2 every year for 30 years and worked for the oldest organized labor force in the world; The United States Army!!! The difference between me and the folks on assistance is very, very simple. THEY DON'T WORK, THEREFORE, THEY DO NOT PAY TAXES!!!!! Most are young, able-bodied people that choose to sit on their butts all day long instead of working for a living and actually contributing. I have absolutely no respect for the takers in this world! If you have a legitimate disability that prohibits you from working, that is a different story. But if you are healthy and able to work but choose not to work and suck the system dry, shame on you! That is not what government assistance was designed for. Like a lot of other government run organizations, Barbar, it has simply gotten out of control. Good luck to you and yours and "God Bless America"
    By the way, I go to the local VA Hospital and donate approximately 20 hours per week to help those who need help. I also buy books and lunch and games and so forth to the tune of about $10,000 per year! And I do not take a tax deduction for it. I actually give it away because there are legitimate "needy people" in this country that need assistance and can't get it. But if you are an illegal immigrant or a BUM, you can get anything you desiere and more! It is pretty sad man!

"The Colonel"

Thanks man! A pat on the back goes a long way to and old retired "horse soldier" You are correct! You have some very good points, young man! Stay the course! Keep the sun at your back and your powder dry!!

The Colonel

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast