Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thank you all for the great information and feedback. I will definetly check in to the home audit also. I have 2 more questions.
    1. Currently my return air grills are on the bottom of the walls, the contractors say I should move them up towards the ceiling. Then rotate between the two between heating and cooling??
    2. Condensate drain location. One contractor was going to pump it over to my sump pump pit, the other 3 said they would run a line to the space along the wall from the floating slab ??
    I guess I'm going to want to keep the sun out of the house if I'm trying to cool it. Shades,curtains.

2 ton ductless mini-split heat pump.

< 600 Cooling Degree Days
    > 6400 Heating Degree Days

Similar to ..

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...york/syracuse/
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

gravity is more reliable than a pump but out needs to have adequate slope.

Return location isn't that critical. Supply location and register wealth make a bigger difference.

I might argue that you want grills lower in summer. Why...because ceilings are 8+ feet tall and humans ate usually 6 or less and only 4 when sitting. Allowing Souter to strategy at the ceiling means that you have less air that needs cooling.

All thing being equal, aesthetically a wall grill near the floor is the least noticeable

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Great information and a huge help. Thanks for everyone's efforts in helping each other. I have been quoted $13K + to change out two 2 ton units. I am thinking of going to one unit. After reading and looking at the threads on R22 vs R410A I am going with the R410A, even though it may cause a little more or quicker degradation of the system. It still should be cheaper in the end and there is the environmental factor. I do have some math under my belt and am going to enjoy trying to make the load calculation on my own first. I was surprised to find out I could over do the system size. At least that is what I think the comments on the thread are confirming. I hope my questions are fun for folks to take on. I generally get very creative when problem solving, so here they come: 1) Can someone expand on the need for accuracy regarding size of AC unit in a split system. The existing units are carrier 2 ton units. One for the up stairs and one for the down stairs. 2) Is going with a 4 ton unit a safe bet or is the load calculation still going to be a very important step? 3) Is the quoted price realistic? Thanks in advance, Jim

I generally get very creative when problem solving, so here they come: 1) Can someone expand on the need for accuracy regarding size of AC unit in a split system. The existing units are carrier 2 ton units. One for the up stairs and one for the down stairs. 2) Is going with a 4 ton unit a safe bet or is the load calculation still going to be a very important step? 3) Is the quoted price realistic? Thanks in advance, Jim
    Load calculation accuracy is important.

Simply going to a 4 ton system is not accurate, accurate load Calc's are critically important.

We cannot comment on quoted prices, I would get more quotes. Remove the price quote.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnync View Post
    Great information and a huge help. Thanks for everyone's efforts in helping each other. I have been quoted $01 to change out two 2 ton units.

I am thinking of going to one unit. After reading and looking at the threads on R22 vs R410A I am going with the R410A, even though it may cause a little more or quicker degradation of the system.

It still should be cheaper in the end and there is the environmental factor. I do have some math under my belt and am going to enjoy trying to make the load calculation on my own first. I was surprised to find out I could over do the system size. At least that is what I think the comments on the thread are confirming.

I hope my questions are fun for folks to take on.

3) Is the quoted price realistic? Thanks in advance, Jim
    Anyone thinking of R-22, is Simply not thinking or had a recent RiP Van Winkle episode.

3) __ _ _ Hard to tell, How many ounces of gold are provided with the AHUs?

/\ seems like No One _ Read the R U L E S. ________________
    __________ I just hate HIjacker of any form or forum.
    _______________ ______________________

____________________ ___________________
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12