Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes unfortunately the techs they have been sending out spend all their time on the phone with their lead tech trying to describe and diagnose. Guess I'll just keep callin them til they end up replacing the whole thing piece by piece.

Sounds like an indoor airflow issue. Is the indoor unit a match for the outdoor?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

If the compressor being undersized was truly the root of the problem, it would cause the indoor cooling coil to run warmer, not colder, given no change of indoor blower speed.

in your case, you need someone who can verify the system is leak free. If it is, concentrate next on airflow. Saying "airflow is good" without measuring it in real time is meaningless. Airflow needs to be at a target volume per ton to optimize system performance and eliminate problems.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

It's a variable speed blower motor that came with the whole system as a pkg unit from Goodman (split heat pump system) Maybe that's just not cutting it or maybe it's just not going to high speed. Will def have to check volume as you say. Also, yeah that makes sense that if the compressor was undersized it would run warmer, ie not as much expansion in the coil.

If you want it fixed correctly a home warranty program is NOT the way to do it. Once you get tge system "fixed" by them I would drop the home warranty payment and stash that cash back for when you have another problem and put it towards paying a good service company to fix it correctly the first time, IMO.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

TXV bad?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyHSanAnton View Post
    Jtrammel, yes I'm leanin that way too re leak or restriction in the coil. but could it also possibly be a bad TXV?
    What the heck, you changed out most of the units parts might as well keep going.
    Let me add a few if the txv change out doesn't fix it, maybe the fan motor is going bad, shutting down on thermal overload, maybe sometimes it starts in reverse due to weak or bad run cap. Once I saw the insulation jacket sucked into both sides of the blower on start up.

You need to find a tech who is not just a parts changer.

Quick story: 4 years ago, woman calls with no cooling complaint on Carrier unit. Not knowing any history on the unit, but noticing the condensing unit is covered with dried leak check soap and dirt. I ask the HO what is going on, 15 different service guys, have done the following assortment of repairs, replaced the compressor twice, replaced the filter dryer, the condenser fan motor, contactor, capacitors, installed five different hard start kits, added refrigerant, removed refrigerant, the last said she needed a new condensing unit, but would not accept payment upon completion in case he was wrong (smart woman). Nice thing the last 10 guys didn't get a penny as payment was upon repair of the unit.

These are the kind of repairs that I find to be the easiest, because it is obvious the problem is not outside. Asking where the indoor unit is located, she replied "Why? no one else wanted to see it".

I found an Carrier blower in the up-flow position, low and behold the original installer never removed the sheet metal drip tray that is secured to the coil. In this unit this was folded down when installed in the horizontal position, nestled on top of this sheet metal part was the installation instructions, both were blocking 90% of the coils surface.

The above unit was 7 years old and had never worked from day one. My brother was out at her place early this year, she mentioned how well the system worked. "I don't know what your brother did, but it sure lowered my electric bill and the unit works great!"
    “You don't get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour.” Jim Rohn

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    If you want it fixed correctly a home warranty program is NOT the way to do it. Once you get tge system "fixed" by them I would drop the home warranty payment and stash that cash back for when you have another problem and put it towards paying a good service company to fix it correctly the first time, IMO.
    AMEN!!!

Regards dropping the warranty and getting a gr8 tech--I concur 100000%!!! I'll have to keep y'all updated as the saga progresses.

Leak test today results: leaking evap coil--imagine that. Now I get a new coil or air handler in addition to all the other new parts. BUT I'd rather have had a good diagnosis from the get go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12