Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New compressor is smaller size then condenser

Had probs last week with my Goodman A/C heat pump purchased new in 2005 (5 ton unit). Diagnosed initially as bad compressor/condenser circuit board, replaced that to no avail, next diagnosis, bad compressor, replaced that to no avail, next diagnosis bad reverser valve. Replaced that this past Thursday and it worked fine for two days until today when the whole unit froze up.

Regards the compressor, it too was a 48000 btu unit in a 5 ton a/c and Goodman says, I guess, that is the correct configuration (at least that's what the techs said). So the techs put all the new stuff in (board, compressor, then reverser valve) and it works for a couple of days and then totally froze up today. So my question for all is could the potentially undersized (though not according to Goodman) compressor be the cause of the freezing up of the expansion coil and lines or what might your thoughts be?

Thanks much!!!!
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-19-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Made this its own thread.

You are not allowed to post in other people's threads in the AOP forums, please read our site rules, thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Only Goodman can answer for certain, but it is not unusual for manufacturers to have a nominally smaller compressor in the unit. They get the capacity with the the coil and airflow design. Even if the compressor were undersized, I would not suspect that as a cause for freeze ups. There is another reason for the freezing indoor coil

That was an example of very poor trouble-shooting & guess-work component change-outs.
    You do not change out high-cost compressors without a thorough testing that absolutely demonstrates they are deficient or defective; you can test-prove they are good!

Yes, they use a smaller Btuh compressor with over-sized coils to lower head-pressures & amp-draw...however, suction pressures & corresponding evaporator temps operate at higher, not as cold levels...

I liked the 10 & 12 SEER units; we could have increased DUCT & HOME Efficiencies which improves both heating & A/C efficient operation lowering utility costs.

'The do-good-government' should have allowed those lower-seer units to be sold in high humidity zones & northern climates; give the consumer a choice in those climate zones between a 10 SEER & those higher SEER systems...more people could afford the lower cost equipment & then gain on both heat & Air...now the government is trying to set furnace efficiency levels by climate zones, which might be okay; there is, or was, a lawsuit pending...

In northern climates heating is the long season, A/C is a short season; therefore, the lower cost 10 or 12-SEER systems with duct & home efficiency improvements would save a lot more on the total annual utility costs; throw in the mix a 95% furnace; do the math...just my opinion.

Beenthere sorry for the previous post in a diff thread, and thx for setting this up in a new one.
    Ok, so it's not unusual then to have a smaller compressor wit an oversized condensing coil. AND yes it was a very poor diagnosing job but i was kinda helpless as it was the company my home warranty company sent out.

My dilemma remains though in what then is causing the freeze ups? Freon charge is good. It typically (because I've had these probs b4) is starting at the coil and moving down the line to the condenser. Restriction? Bad TXV? Do I need to put in a low pressure cut out? 3-5 minute Anti restart timer? Etc? I'm at a loss!

Any advice is greatly appreciated as well as any recommendations for a reputable tech here in San Antonio that can truly diagnose and fix the problem. Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyHSanAnton View Post
    Beenthere sorry for the previous post in a diff thread, and thx for setting this up in a new one.
    Ok, so it's not unusual then to have a smaller compressor wit an oversized condensing coil. AND yes it was a very poor diagnosing job but i was kinda helpless as it was the company my home warranty company sent out.

My dilemma remains though in what then is causing the freeze ups? Freon charge is good. It typically (because I've had these probs b4) is starting at the coil and moving down the line to the condenser. Restriction? Bad TXV? Do I need to put in a low pressure cut out? 3-5 minute Anti restart timer? Etc? I'm at a loss! Any advice is greatly appreciated as well as any recommendations for a reputable tech here in San Antonio that can truly diagnose and fix the problem. Thanks much!
    Sounds like they left a refrigerent leak when they changed out the rv, now its low on refer. Or tge evap coil is leaking and that's what caused the compressor to burn up, if in fact, it was bad in the first place.

Yep that'll def be the first thing to check, but if they did recharge it then there must be a leak or restriction or bad TXV or something, right? Airflow is good, filters are clean, I wonder if an oversized coil would help? Also as I mentioned earlier maybe a LP cutout or 3-5' anti restart timer?

Jtrammel, yes I'm leanin that way too re leak or restriction in the coil. but could it also possibly be a bad TXV?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-19-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Yorkapprentice, email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by YORKAPPRENTICE View Post
    I'm in San Antonio but cannot do side work due to UA restrictions.. I have a neighbor that has been in the residential business for quite some time and is very good at what he does. E mail me and I will put you in contact with him if you still need help.
    I'm surprised they let you post on the internet.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

YORKAPPRENTICE, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If the home warranty company sent out this company, I'm assuming your not paying for any of this except a 1 time deductible? I would call the home warranty company and explain this to them and have them make it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast