Niagara and LNS LON Networks

Looking for input from experienced Niagara Lon integrators, have a customer that has got a LNS network which is of a non-zero length domain, plus a already setup Niagara LON network with a zero length domain. I know that if you have a controller that had been commissioned with LNS, normally it will not discover, but if you press the service pin it will show up. However I really want to "Learn" the LNS network to save the links, not sure on the best way to do this, what happens to the Jace's LON network if I change the Domain now? If I "discover" the LNS devices by pressing all the service pins can I then learn them? Is it possible to intergrate the two networks into one without "breaking" one of them? Or should I just create a second LON network on the Jace with the correct domain for the LNS network?

Thanks

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

You could learn them but to add them and see the points on the Niagara side, that will require you to commission the device. As soon as you do this, it severs your LNS links. Maybe it can be done but I don't see how.

Can't you use the quick learn feature? I think that saves and learns all of the links that are out there. Im not that experienced with lon but I thought thats what the function did as long as you are on the same domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Igotworms View Post
    Can't you use the quick learn feature? I think that saves and learns all of the links that are out there. Im not that experienced with lon but I thought thats what the function did as long as you are on the same domain.
    That's the problem they are not on the same domain, LNS uses a non-zero length domain, Niagara uses a zero length. Learn will not work unless they are on the same domain.
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

I think what you have to do is go into the property sheet of your lon network. Expand the Lon Netmgmt (lon network management) section. In there you can change the domain length and ID. Press the service pin on one of the nodes while in the lon utilities manager to find out the domain ID and length. Hope this helps

Yes that is what I think I need to do, but I am not sure what effect that will have on the lon devices already commissioned and bound on the Niagara Lon network.

James Rouse

This is from the workbench users guide try it out and see what happens

Populating your New LonNetwork from a Previously Managed Network
    Perform this task to populate a new LonNetwork in your station database, where
    existing LONWORKS network management is preserved.
    To populate your new LonNetwork:

1. Expand Device Networks.
    2. Double-click LonNetwork in the Navigation side bar. The LONWORKS Device
    Manager appears.
    Note: If a split-pane (learn mode) appears, click Learn Mode to toggle out of
    learn mode.
    3. Click Quik Learn. The Learn dialog box appears.
    4. Leave Unmanaged Network: ignore subnet/node conflicts clear.
    5. Check or clear Learn Links: add links to the database and Upload Config:
    upload ncis and cps.
    6. Click OK. A progress bar appears.
    When the learn job finished, the learned LONWORKS devices appear. All
    devices should appear listed with unique subnet/node addresses.
    • If you chose to learn links, you can see any learned bindings in other views
    of the LonNetwork, including the LONWORKS Link Manager view or in the
    network wire sheet view.
    • If you chose to upload config, you can see the values of any device’s NCIs
    from its Nc Manager view (right-click the device and select Views > Nc
    Manager).
    You can create LONWORKS proxy points under any device. See Creating
    LONWORKS Proxy Points.