+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Digital gauge manifold

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TNtaco View Post
    Watched 3 sets of Hilmar gauges thrown in the junk pile at our local supply house. Guys behind the counter told me they wouldn't sell a set. Beware and don't waste the $500
    For some reason i think you might be exaggerating just a tad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    For some reason i think you might be exaggerating just a tad.
    Wish I was. Just passing on info I have seen.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    Wouldn't go with the bar clamps they sometimes create clearance issues. The reason I'm saying this is because I tried the bar clamps.

I you can pull some overtime and get the scissor clamps you won't be disappointed for sure.
    I've been using the micro Irwin clamps exclusively, no problems. Everything from mini splits to chillers.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373407905.415163.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  70.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373408016.981824.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  59.5 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    I've been using the micro Irwin clamps exclusively, no problems. Everything from mini splits to chillers.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373407905.415163.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  70.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373408016.981824.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  59.5 KB
    I like that idea, I was Just thinking about doing this today after you mentioned it begore

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I like that idea, I was Just thinking about doing this today after you mentioned it begore
    It's super simple, just remove the screw and nut, keep the stretchy Velcro, remove yellow pad from clamp(slides off) put screw through frame and pad. I realized in the field that I needed to reinforce the pad since it's bigger than the frame that supports it so it wanted to roll back with pressure, I had some brazing rod handy so I cut it to stick out a little lower than the pad and zip tied it to the frame, it's lasted a year now so I'm just leaving it like that.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373418225.867935.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  65.3 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373418273.092285.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  45.0 KB

Post Likes
    Mason that's awesome!!!!!

Post Likes
    Well I just picked up my first set of digital gauges. I have the hilmor brand with clamps and hoses. I read some reviews here after I got them. I guess time will tell, haven't got the chance to use them yet as it has been raining here for ever. I will say that I feel like I got a good deal on them $485 plus tax. Clamps and hoses included. I will be getting the case as well digital or not I like to keep my tools protected.

Post Likes
    let me know how that works out for you.not so sure I trust them. although the case is still a good idea I keep my tools perfect two.

Post Likes
    let me know how that works out for you.not so sure I trust them. although the case is still a good idea I keep my tools perfect two.
    Will do, I'm hoping they work out, we'll see.

Post Likes
    To those Guys who have Sman4's Testo's and Digi-Cools. If a Tech could only buy one set, which one would you recommend???
    “Automation may be a good thing, but don’t forget that it began with Frankenstein.” – Anonymous

Post Likes
    DC's of course.

I only own one brand (have an older one for a back-up)... I think you can guess which brand...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    DC's of course.

I only own one brand (have an older one for a back-up)... I think you can guess which brand...
    Why DC's? It seems that the other digital gauges are pretty comparable. From what I read, Fieldpiece has good tech support, not sure about Testo and, I've read that Digi-Cool can be hard to get a hold of. I'm also interested in specifications. Can one particular gauge do something that another one can't? Do you find a certain capability of one gauge important? To be honest, I'm leaning toward Digi-Cool's but, I want to make an educated purchase.
    “Automation may be a good thing, but don’t forget that it began with Frankenstein.” – Anonymous

Post Likes
    Honestly, I have only owned DC's. The previous one, a 1200 that was upgraded to 1250, served me for over 6 years. It has been dropped off the roof onto concrete (I defy ANY other unit to stand up to that), left in the rain, drowned, sunburned, frozen, literally run over by the van tire, and probably other things I do not remember.

I doubt any other unit will stand up to half that.

Doug and Brenda Lockhart (on the forum here) run DC, it is a family business. The ONLY folks who have customer service issues with them, as far as I can tell from reading posts, are whiners.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear rabbit View Post
    Why DC's? It seems that the other digital gauges are pretty comparable. From what I read, Fieldpiece has good tech support, not sure about Testo and, I've read that Digi-Cool can be hard to get a hold of. I'm also interested in specifications. Can one particular gauge do something that another one can't? Do you find a certain capability of one gauge important? To be honest, I'm leaning toward Digi-Cool's but, I want to make an educated purchase.
    The SMAN 4 has the most capabilities. It can receive wireless input form other fieldpiece tools to help determine target superheat. It also has a built in vacuum gauge ( would not use a vacuum gauge on a manifold myself )

The Testo 570 has data logging and can also has a vacuum gauge built in. ( never used one myself )

The didgi-cool can be mounted on any set of gauges ( with swivel adapters ) and has an analog bar graph that can help troubleshoot TXV and leaks ( like a vibrating needle on analog gauges ). Digi cool is most known for durability.

Post Likes
    Digi-Cool, you won't be disappointed. The Sman4 is tempting bc of the wireless feature, but IMO its still not solid technology. Its in its infancy. Fieldpiece has excellent customer service. Digicool has excellent customer service as well.

Post Likes
    I have the 570's and the Sman4, I use the Sman's almost all of the time. If I had bought them before I got the Testo's I probably would not have bought the Testo. Just my preference. BTW the way FP brags about the way it is easy to change the refrigerant settings is a PAIN. I think they should be numerical.
    I just use too many different refrigerants.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    The SMAN 4 has the most capabilities. It can receive wireless input form other fieldampce tools to help determine target superheat. It also has a built in vacuum gauge ( would not use a vacuum gauge on a manifold myself )

The Testo 570 has data logging and can also has a vacuum gauge built in. ( never used one myself )

The didgi-cool can be mounted on any set of gauges ( with swivel adapters ) and has an analog bar graph that can help troubleshoot TXV and leaks ( like a vibrating needle on analog gauges ). Digi cool is most known for durability.
    say what! ?
    the testo 570 can print, read
    subcooling and superheat and ODT, you bet evacuation, weighin refrigerant, measure amp draw,read vacuum,perform tightness test on timer, and print all this out on one ticket size:form.

the only thing Sman4does the 570 does not is calculate target superheat.

the SMAN4 is good for what it can do, what if you want a fully functioning gage manifold, then the 570 is a better choice. I have said this several times and at the risk of sounding redundant, I will repeat: I own two AK900s, SMAN 4 and SMAN3.

I also own Testo 557 and 579 and no but keep the ladies of each they are all fine pieces of equipment. in this case it is too which is on, however to say that s m A n 4 has more capabilities then Testo 570 is just plain wrong.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear rabbit View Post
    say what! ?
    the testo 570 can print, read
    subcooling and superheat and ODT, you bet evacuation, weighin refrigerant, measure amp draw,read vacuum,perform tightness test on timer, and print all this out on one ticket size:form.

the only thing Sman4does the 570 does not is calculate target superheat.

the SMAN4 is good for what it can do, what if you want a fully functioning gage manifold, then the 570 is a better choice. I have said this several times and at the risk of sounding redundant, I will repeat: I own two AK900s, SMAN 4 and SMAN3.

I also own Testo 557 and 579 and no but keep the ladies of each they are all fine pieces of equipment. in this case it is too which is on, however to say that s m A n 4 has more capabilities then Testo 570 is just plain wrong.
    I thought the Sman4 could also print through fieldpieces PC software ( maybe I'm thinking of the HG3).
    The AMP draw is a feature I forgot about though. I had no idea it could weight in refrigerant.

Post Likes
    Uncle also thought the testo could weigh in refrigerant. Are you sure it can do this or are you just able to fill in the blanks on on the printer ticket?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    The SMAN 4 has the most ca ities. It can receive wireless input form other fieldpiece tools to help determine target superheat. It also has a built in vacuum gauge ( would not use a vacuum gauge on a manifold myself )

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Uncle also thought the testo could weigh in refrigerant. Are you sure it can do this or are you just able to fill in the blanks on on the printer ticket?
    Crap. I mean you have to enter the numbers and they will print.
    The only Testo that weighs refer is the 560.
    It hookes up to a testo scale with data cable.

But what I like about the 570 is the 552 slaves to the 570 and shos the miron level on the 570 screen! !!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in