+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APPION TEZ8 value.

Post Likes

APPION TEZ8 value.

In a nut shell, I'd like to know if they are worth their $900 value. Or would $900 be better spent on two other vacuum pumps. Pros and cons of the product would be nice too. Thank you in advance.

Post Likes
    A couple of innovative features, but grossly overpriced in my opinion. It has been shown it is really no faster than similar sized pumps. The thing i really like is it's stability, doesn't tip over and drain out the oil.

I think it's surrounded by hype and has a reputation it doesn't deserve.
    Would not buy again
    Last edited by kiwireeferman; 07-10-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: addition

Post Likes
    My YJ pump does just fine for 1/3 the price.

Post Likes
    Looks nice and alot of guys like it. If the company is buying it, get it. If you are footing the bill, hell no.

Invest in good CRTs, hoses, micron gauge
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

Post Likes
    The value comes in when you get on a system that is wet or dirty. The fact that you can change the oil quickly or even identify the condition of the oil at a glance are features that are not offered on any pump that I have seen. It also has an integral check valve and an inlet sight glass with strainer that sometimes shows some interesting stuff. Not to mention it looks really cool next to the G5 recovery unit in the van.

Post Likes
    I have a year old 10 cfm JB. Absolutely no complaints. But in 20 years when it has to be replaced, and I am 90 years old I would like to have one. Who knows maybe the price will drop.

Post Likes
    Don't let these guy talk it down.

SELLING POINTS
    1.) Less oil
    2.) Quick clean oil change that you can see as it gets dirty.
    3.) Carry multiple oil change outs with you in small sealed bottles instead of one big jug
    4.) trash collector on intake
    5.) Several size pipe connections. Not just one or two.
    6.) This to me is the big one. REBUILD KITS and it can easily be done in the field. That means when it gets old....you rebuild it instead of buying a whole new unit.
    7.) Very reliable.
    8.) You don't get oil all over the back while the foam handle slips off.

The reason the other guys don't like the TEZ8 is because they didn't go the extra step and buy the Megoflow Speed Kit which does make a huge difference. Yes, this kit works on other vacuum pumps but is designed for the TEZ8.

I strongly recommend the Megaflow Speed Kit. I can pull a 300 micron vacuum on a 5 ton split-system in under 10 minutes with my TEZ8 and Megaflow. I usually do chiller work or 10 ton plus and have been able to vacuum one circuit of a 100 ton air-cooled chiller to 430 microns in 1 hour 20 minutes.

Here is a video using commercial HVAC equipment and the Appion TEZ8 with a MegaFlow kit and a G5 Twin/

video
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    I didn't get it for 2 reasons.

Durability: I didn't like all the clear plastic. We all know what happens to the back of a van after a week of wide open calls. I had visions of parts of it getting cracked.

The oil: I was told you have to buy the appion replacement oil containers. What happens if your local distributor is out of stock?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post

Durability: I didn't like all the clear plastic. We all know what happens to the back of a van after a week of wide open calls. I had visions of parts of it getting cracked.

The oil: I was told you have to buy the appion replacement oil containers. What happens if your local distributor is out of stock?
    I though about that(the oil part) I'm thinking I would just keep two of the containers and fill it with the same oil anyway, so when its time to change out oil in the spare and swap, drain the old oil and repeat on the next one.

I would like to buy one at some point but it keeps getting pushed back on my priority list, just spent some money on the 18v Milwaukee band saw, one handed sawzall and flood light.

I need a bigger van...

Post Likes
    It is true you have to have ONE Appion container, which it comes with it. More then that is for ease of use. They are not disposable containers if that is what you think. You can also get the oil in a gallon jug.

I have had myTEZ8 for 3 years. Not one clear plastic part has broken off yet, however; I also kept the original box and when I am done using it I put it back in the box.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes

You mean this clear plastic?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3JXcLc_TVBs

You can fill the container with any oil you want just like you can fill a different pump with any oil you want.

Cost hast stopped me from getting one.

Post Likes
    I carry a second container so I can quickly exchange them on the pump. The containers can be refilled. I have a gallon of the Appion oil so I can refill the containers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    Don't let these guy talk it down.

SELLING POINTS
    1.) Less oil
    2.) Quick clean oil change that you can see as it gets dirty.
    3.) Carry multiple oil change outs with you in small sealed bottles instead of one big jug
    4.) trash collector on intake
    5.) Several size pipe connections. Not just one or two.
    6.) This to me is the big one. REBUILD KITS and it can easily be done in the field. That means when it gets old....you rebuild it instead of buying a whole new unit.
    7.) Very reliable.
    8.) You don't get oil all over the back while the foam handle slips off.

The reason the other guys don't like the TEZ8 is because they didn't go the extra step and buy the Megoflow Speed Kit which does make a huge difference. Yes, this kit works on other vacuum pumps but is designed for the TEZ8.

I strongly recommend the Megaflow Speed Kit. I can pull a 300 micron vacuum on a 5 ton split-system in under 10 minutes with my TEZ8 and Megaflow. I usually do chiller work or 10 ton plus and have been able to vacuum one circuit of a 100 ton air-cooled chiller to 430 microns in 1 hour 20 minutes.

Here is a video using commercial HVAC equipment and the Appion TEZ8 with a MegaFlow kit and a G5 Twin/

video
    I wasn't talking it down, it's just expensive for a vac pump. I can pull a vac sub 500 as quick as anybody would need to with 3/8 hoses straight to pump with vcrts. Changing oil might take an extra 5 minutes but it's not worth $900 bucks to me . If the price came down to around $400 I would probably get one if I needed a pump.

Post Likes
    I might try one of these out of my next pump. That video of the guy smacking it with a crescent sold me on the bottle durability!

Post Likes
    Love mine so much I bought a second one after my first was damaged when I was t boned in my service truck. I still have the old pump and plan on rebuilding it and putting it back in sevice.

I use the appion 1/2" hoses and vcrs hooked straight to the pump. I also got the three pack of bottles and refill them. The one downside is that I find myself going through more oil due to the ease of changing it when the pump starts to slow down, but then that is the point.

Post Likes
    It's amazing how fast the oil gets foggy on this machine. I had one at my old company.

Post Likes
    We badly abused them and they hold up. Just put one of the old beater tez8's on van. Still need to test it out, clean it up, and change some o rings. Price does seem steep but they seem to back their claims and their products well. We just refill oil containers with the flavor of the day oil shop gives us.

Post Likes
    Wouldn't that have something to do with the volume of oil involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    It's amazing how fast the oil gets foggy on this machine. I had one at my old company.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Wouldn't that have something to do with the volume of oil involved?
    On a new clean system the oil will stay clear ( or it should as long as the manufacturer and install tech were clean with their work ). The only difference is that on the TEZ 8 you can identify this and change the oil quickly. It will also show when nitrogen was not used during brazing when the oil turns grey ( my experience on new systems ). I'm only guessing that having a smaller sump of clean oil versus a larger sump of less contaminated oil results in faster evacuation however requires someone at the pump to change it. Either way it is nice to be able to see the condition of the oil.

Post Likes
    I'm not a fan. My boss bought 2 of them after we had the electricians on a huge job cut the power to the circuit we were using to evac the first of 6 90 on splits we installed. Causing oil from my trusty YJ to suck back into the piping.

The first appion pump ran for 8 minutes, then the motor seized.
    The second one ran for weeks, with twice daily oil changes, then stopped like an internal circuit breaker popped. 2 weeks later we got it back "repaired". It ran for 10 mins then stopped dead again.... Still haven't got it back from warranty 2 weeks later. The supply house is trying to blame us, saying we used a extension cord that was too small.
    We were using a 50ft 10ga cord.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in