Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Best Hoses For Pulling Vacuum

What does everyone use for hoses.

I have seen a few posts that recommend stainless steel hoses. Where can you find them. It takes too long to get a good (250 microns) vacuum with standard hoses. Copper is good for pulling vacuum but kind of hard to work with.

Also what is the best; ball valve ends or low loss fittings.

Going to be getting a Testo 550 and want some good hoses.

I have a couple of YJ heavy duty hoses that I have removed the depressors from and use as a straight hose for evacuation purposes.

I rarely evacuate through my manifold anymore.

The best hoses for pulling a vacuum are the biggest ID you can get that don't leak.

I also agree with jp though if you want fast don't pull your vacuum through a little 1/4" two way manifold.

But .... you can speed up a two way manifold by using
    Bigger hoses 3/8 or 1/2 (depending on your vacuum pump connections) with 1/4" QC's on the other end.
    or make your 1/4" hoses as short as possible but 1/4" lines are not recommended for pulling vacuum.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The best hoses for pulling a vacuum are the biggest ID you can get that don't leak.

I also agree with jp though if you want fast don't pull your vacuum through a little 1/4" two way manifold.

But .... you can speed up a two way manifold by using
    Bigger hoses 3/8 or 1/2 (depending on your vacuum pump connections) with 1/4" QC's on the other end.
    or make your 1/4" hoses as short as possible but 1/4" lines are not recommended for pulling vacuum.
    So are you going from vacuum pump with 2 3/8 hoses right to the service valves with a micron gauge connected at the unit? Or just evacuating thru one 3/8 hose?

I am asking because I have heard that air can permeate thru rubber hoses under a vacuum.

I have a JB pump so I've been using two black Y/J 3/8"X1/4" hoses from the pump to a set of core removers or service valves.

If I don't hook up the manifold I'll hook up the refer tank to the 1/4" port on the pump to break the vacuum through the 3/8" lines with the ball valve shut off on the pump.

How long does it take to get to 500 microns using your set up

Huh

huh? how long 10 minutes 20 minutes etc

My experience is that the ends of the hoses are as important as the hoses are... Sometimes the O rings in the ends get weak and will leak around 1000 microns... then it takes a LONG time to get down.

I do well with regular YJ hoses, however I am careful with the ends.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Well here is the set I have!

http://www.appioninc.com/products/mgakitfeatures.html

The manifold is huge and funny looking, but with the diaphragm-operated valves and bearing-actuated knobs provide down to 20 microns, and does it quickly!

I'm so done with cheap undersized YJ hoses and leaky gauges/manifolds.

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    huh? how long 10 minutes 20 minutes etc
    yes
    You can't put a specific time on pulling a vacuum on a system like that as they would all be different.

I use yj heavy duty 3/8 hose to suction side valve and the micron gauge on the liquid side. Both sides get a core removal tool. Alot faster that way than through gauge set. No problems getting below 100 microns.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    What does everyone use for hoses.

I have seen a few posts that recommend stainless steel hoses. Where can you find them. It takes too long to get a good (250 microns) vacuum with standard hoses. Copper is good for pulling vacuum but kind of hard to work with.

Also what is the best; ball valve ends or low loss fittings.

Going to be getting a Testo 550 and want some good hoses.
    I have a demo Testo 550, you will love them. However, as with most manifold sets not real practical for evacuation unless you want to spend all day.

I don’t use any manifold for evacuation, I only recommend Appion evacuation hoses and core removers. Evacuation time is all about flow, get yourself a 1/2 hose and ditch the manifold for evacuation. Most hoses will not hold under 500 Microns, Appion hoses are vacuum certified down to 20 Microns.

I have ran tons of tests over the last several years. I recently ran a test on 2 two ton splits with 20 foot linesets. Conventional method with manifold 54 minutes to 500 Microns. Appion core remover and 1/2 hose to 500 Microns (no gauge manifold) 7 minutes.

Good luck
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast