Proper charging Procedure

Proper charging Procedure

I am new to this forum so be gentle. I am in need of the proper charging method on a older Mcquay recip. chiller. It has two 35ton recips. with separate evap. and cond. circuits. can I charge one circuit at a time and what should my subcooling and superheat be? I completely cleaned the cond. but do not know what the evap looks like. Its a closed system.
    Thank You.

is this a package unit or remote evap? package should have charge on data plate. yes you can do one circuit at a time. if its remote evap, i would start with 1-1/2 lbs ref per ton, start unit and charge per subcooling if you know what it needs to be. also make sure you have a good load, all fans running and hopefully close to design conditions and you should be there. then check the tonnage output of each compressor when fully loaded with a simple formula, along with your evap approach. hope this helps

A little more information would be helpful. What's the model number of the unit? I will shut down one circuit and get the one I'm checking run fully loaded. If you have your model number, look the IOM on the Mcquay website, it will tell you everything. Also apply for pro membership that way we can really help you.

I will get more info on Monday and try to repost.

Hi DF Jr!!!

Ok, more information. It is a McQuay chiller with 2 compressors, split air cooled condenser about 30 foot of line, Model# E1008 Built in 1993, R22 Refrigerant. The two compressors each have unloaders creating 4 stages of cooling. They are using a Honeywell controller for the cooling stages. My question is 1. do I establish subcooling first and at what amount of subcooling and where on the system should I be measuring it? 2. Should I be measuring superheat where, when and how?