Amana ASX13 vs. Goodman GSX13 - Only difference is sound blanket? Worthy upgrade?

Looking at the Amana ASX13 vs. the Goodman GSX13. As far as I can tell, the only significant difference seems to be that the Amana has a sound blanket. In the 2-ton size, the Amana appears to have a 71db rating and the Goodman has a 75db rating.

I'm just wondering if there are any other differences between these units and if the sound blanket is worth the cost difference. Anyone have personal experience with both units?

Thanks!

The Goodman has no compressor protection other than the built in overheat which shuts the unit off if the thing is really in trouble. The Amana has a Copeland Comfort Alert diagnostics & protection module connected to high & low pressure switches. This shuts the system down if it detects low pressure like low on refrigerant or high pressure like dirty coil or dead fan. This means the compressor shuts down before the compressor is in agony. Also, the oil in R410a hates moisture. This system shuts down the system before a leak can allow the compressor to suck in moisture and contaminate everything. Few units these days have this and it is a nice system.

Thanks BaldLoonie.

Any thoughts on the Amana ASX13 vs. the Rheem 13AJN? My contractor just told me he could also get the Rheem for the same cost as the Amana.

Thanks!

The 13AJN is a builder model, just like the Goodman. No frills. Mexican made where Goodman and Amana are American. The ASX13 is much nicer, the Rheem RANL-JEZ series would be comparable to it but many hundreds more than the 13AJN.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-25-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Not as much. the GSZ has pressure switches but not tied to a Comfortalert module.

a differene form 75 to 71db is pretty big. That's a fairly quiet unit, vs an average unit. Get below 70dB and a unit is very quiet. Under 68db and with normal otudoor noise is silent.

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to go with the Amana!

You'll be happy they are a quality unit & made in the US as has been said American made though Mexico is in America also LOL