Thread: zone dampering

Hmm zone dampering

Does anyone have any experience in zone dampering systems on big rooftop units. I understand there are types available with adjustable static settings depending on your desires. I have a rather large rooftop with only 2 major ducts I want to put automatic dampers in

Why do you want to put automatic dampers in these two zones? Temperature control, different schedules for different zones, other?
    Do you have a vfd or inlet vanes on this RTU's supply fan? Is there more than one fan, supply, return and exhaust/relief?
    If you put in zone dampers and you do not have a vfd or vanes you will need to add a vfd and a static pressure transducer or add a bypass damper with a static pressure transducer. Is this a DX system and does the unit have heat and if it does what type? You need to be careful and take various measures if this is a large RTU when adding zone dampers as you could over pressurize the duct work and blow it apart. I would recommend contacting a local HVAC company that does commercial controls to assist you with what you are wanting to do.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

/agree with Crab, contact someone who installs these.

Going with a zoning system like Tranes VariTrac or Carrier's 3V is to your benefit. The systems have alot of settings in the programming to protect the equipment & duct.

Quote Originally Posted by mechanaman View Post
    Does anyone have any experience in zone dampering systems on big rooftop units. I understand there are types available with adjustable static settings depending on your desires. I have a rather large rooftop with only 2 major ducts I want to put automatic dampers in
    Mechanaman,

Can you be more specific in regards to the application. Tonnage, load, sq/ft of the 2 zones to be, the size of the 2 ducts, ....plenum ceiling?

Why do you wish to split the load. Is it a landlord thing, splitting suites, or temperatures uneven? Averaging controls can rectify some issues.

I have quite a few years experience in zoning retrofits, as well as new VAV design/build. I may be able to give some simple input with a little more data.
    Thank you for reading, and have a nice day

Carrier 3V

Here is a link for the Carrier 3V product databook which you will find helpful.

The new Carrier 3V is pretty slick and easy to setup.

There is also a demo on the Carrier website which runs through the whole setup.

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/33zc-1pd.pdf