Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    The soffits in Texas are made of wood and the boards start to bow or bend after about 10 years.
    They are made of "wood" in the same sense that paper and cardboard are made of "wood".
    Actual real wood would be a vast improvement
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    $15,000 in 1956 has the same buying power as $128,234.01 today.

Kinda makes you stop and think....

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
    most of us in this forum could afford that mortgage thesedays. not like my area, where a starter home would cost 250k. and new townhouse condo sell for 310 and up. if you go to new subdivision it seems they all cater to the ppl who is dumb enough about money. big house with only a couple in it, formal dining room with no one eating in it and so on and so on.

PS: by subdivision I mean newly built subdivision where the tree hasn't grow back.
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

You want to see dumb new home buyers, check out this "master planned" community.
    http://www.viridiandfw.com/

In all the BS about the nature habitat, golf courses, etc., they don't mention that it is across the street from the city dump, and that when the weather conditions are right, the whole area stinks like a dump, sometimes for days after it rains.

Nothing wrong with any of those products being used. The quality of how they are installed and sizing makes a bigger difference. As I replace most of hte plumbing in my home I'm using Pex. Great stuff, espectially in retrofits because you can fish it through existing walls. Very quick and easy to connect and you can have prefabbed manifolds.

The devil is in the details.

Why I get disgusted is the quality of windows, siding and trim materials and hte use of fake decorative features like fake shutters that are improperly mounted and the wrong wise and ding stupid things like trying ot make a McMansion looks somehow like a southern colonial but adding a big porch, or adding a gambrel roof and calling it a dutch colonial. Ugly as all h***

The cost and availability of wood materials has driven prices way up and led to new materials. Finger joint studs and lumber will be straighter and cheaper than solid lumber in the same dimensions and comes in longer dimensions.
    Same thing with laminated beams. They are straight and hold the dimension in whatever length you order, saving time and money.

I don't personally like PEX or plastic for water, but nobody strips the plastic out of a rough in to sell for scrap.

The houses and the quality of construction have really gone down, but it's not all because of materials.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    Finger joint studs and lumber will be straighter and cheaper than solid lumber in the same dimensions and comes in longer dimensions.
    Finger joint studs are the only way to get straight wall studs anymore.

The stuff they sell as #1 grade these days would have barely been #2 grade 20 years ago, and the stuff they sell as #2 grade would have been sold at a deep discount as culled lumber.

When I have time I'm going to put up about 10 pictures of a friend's house that was done in rich Aledo, Texas a few years ago. This was a 700K house, and he sold his house in California at the peak (2005/2006) before he moved to Texas. You won't believe some of the work that was done. I have pictures of the HVAC system, and it is unbelievable. Also, the elctrician had 2 whites wires coming out of all 240V circuit breakers. There should be black/red on the 2 poles and then white to neutral and the copper to ground. In Aledo work doesn't have to be inspected. A building inspector had a 24 page report of things that were wrong with the house.

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    You won't believe some of the work that was done.
    While I haven't seen everything, after 21 years working in the DFW area, I don't think I would any level of home construction incompetence unbelievable anymore.

I know I uploaded some of these pictures on the forum about 5 years ago. The electrical and HVAC work on this house were really done shoddy IMHO. There were new owners in the house around 2008 or so.

That is one ugly house...

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    That is one ugly house...
    Yeah, but the last 4 pictures are the ugliest part of it. Notice in the last picture how the wires in the background just run chaotic and don't follow the partitions or rafters.

French Settlement, Louisiana, United States
    Is the drain , secondary drain and the overflow pan all tied together? And also not insulated!

Quote Originally Posted by coolcajun View Post
    Is the drain , secondary drain and the overflow pan all tied together? And also not insulated!
    I'm not an HVAC guy, but I know in the summer when they finished it would only cool the house down to 80 degrees. I kind of lost touch with all of it after that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast