Goodman furnace problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Goodman furnace problems

Hello all,

I came across this site while trying to find out some information on my furnace. So far from what I've seen, it's very informative and helpful. I read the rule about DIY's and the questions/answers I may receive. I'm really not asking how to fix my furnace so much as what's wrong with. I can understand a professional repairing it if it was needed, but if it's just a $10 switch or something, would that be ok for me to do?

Onto my problem(s):

My furnace is a Goodman GMP100-4. I've owned the home for almost 4 years. The home is an 1100 sf ranch style with a full basement. The basement is not finished and is sitting at bare walls and floor. The furnace is approximately located in the middle of the basement against the back-side wall of the house. There are 4 cold-air returns; the main one in the hallway, 1 in each bedroom, and 1 in the basement. There are 2 vents in the basement that I currently have foil taped off since it's not needed down there.

What's happening:

When the furnace kicks on, the vent fan spins up fine. When the flame starts, it makes some gurgle/burgle noises and then lights up smooth. While the furnace is running fine, the flame cuts off and the vent fan slows down, but the blower continues to run. Then suddenly, it kicks back on and keeps doing it's thing. I listened on the thermostat and it's not being satisfied by the furnace. Meaning it's not getting the house to the set temp. before cutting off, hence it cuts back on and runs longer. For a short time, the vent fan would kick on and the furnace would never light. But after throttling the on/off switch a few times, that stopped.

My FIL has helped on this project. He's a licensed firefighter and home inspector, I know this doesn't qualify him to do this, but he's not ignorant of the dangers/consequences. We've cleaned the sensors and that didn't help any. We recently replaced the hot water heater and since it was moved to the other side of the furnace, we re-did all the vent duct work. Everything passed the inspection from the inspector and we were actually complimented on how well we did and made it look. I replace the filter's regularly and yes they are dirty but nothing irregular. What could the problem be? My FIL thinks it may be the fan limit switch. I spoke with a Goodman parts distributor and he has the switch as well as an air pressure switch that the tech said it might be. I was going to try those two before moving on to bigger things. My goal was to remove the simple things from the equation before calling in a professional.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I worded this correctly to not get it locked.

Thanks in advance & be gentle, I'm new
    Jason

Talking

Welcome to HVAC-Talk, I think the gurgle from the combustion blower is a giveaway.

But it could also be a variety of issues.

Please call a service tech and have your furnace properly diagnosed and serviced.

How's that!

You're welcome and I hope I was gentle enough!

If this problem started after you blocked off the basement registers , your system might just need those opened for the airflow to be correct.

some duct systems are sized too small, but will work untill someone closes a register or two.

Worth a try before you start replacing parts.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by deb0 View Post
    My furnace is a Goodman GMP100-4. I've owned the home for almost 4 years. The home is an 1100 sf ranch style with a full basement. Jason
    pretty big furnace for a 1100 sf house, where do you live?

Definitely save the money you'd spend on those parts, get a technician to repair it properly....then you'll be paying for only the ones you really need.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

How's that!

You're welcome and I hope I was gentle enough!
    It gave a small tingling sensation, like when you've sat on the toilet so long and your legs fall asleep and you stand up, fall over, and bust your head on the tub.

If this problem started after you blocked off the basement registers , your system might just need those opened for the airflow to be correct.
    We thought that might be it also. I did fib a little. There's actually three in the basement. I unblocked one and the problem persisted. I could try unblocking the other two and see if that fixes the problem. Although, I have had these three vents blocked off for about 2-3 years I believe. Thank you.

pretty big furnace for a 1100 sf house, where do you live?
    My FIL thought the same thing. He noticed the lines running to the vents were not very big for the size of the furnace and thought it was probably choking the system down. I live in Louisville, KY. Please don't stalk me.

I can get a technician out there this Friday to look over it. I'll probably see about letting the system breathe a little better and if that doesn't fix it, call the tech in.

Quote Originally Posted by deb0 View Post
    It gave a small tingling sensation, like when you've sat on the toilet so long and your legs fall asleep and you stand up, fall over, and bust your head on the tub.

LOL................at least we both have a sense of humor!

it is such a nice feeling to see all the kiddies playing and teasing so pleasantly

you furnace does seem a little on the large side
    what type of t-stat do you have brand also

if the anticapator isnt set properly you can get theses symptons also

should have it looked at anyway because all we can do here is guess just like you

Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia

Wink

I agree with the others. Though Bob if it were a gmp"n" the gurgles would give us a clue... but w/o the "n", isn't it just an 80 %?
    "Surprised ?! If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised."
    Clark Griswold

Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia
    P.S. I live in Harrodsburg Ky and 100kbtu for 1100 sq ' is more than a little oversized.
    "Surprised ?! If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised."
    Clark Griswold

Quote Originally Posted by lra View Post
    P.S. I live in Harrodsburg Ky and 100kbtu for 1100 sq ' is more than a little oversized.
    maybe they like to leave the windows and doors open all winter

LOL................at least we both have a sense of humor!
    Only way to live life, even when it is kicking you in the head.

The furnace was there when I moved in. I don't believe it is the original setup since the house was built in 1960. Also it has 2 fireplaces, so it may not have had HVAC installed originally.

what type of t-stat do you have brand also

if the anticapator isnt set properly you can get theses symptons also
    I bought one from Lowe's when I first moved in. One of the digital brands. I'll check when I get home and update the post with it.

Though Bob if it were a gmp"n" the gurgles would give us a clue... but w/o the "n", isn't it just an 80 %?
    Is that the efficiency of my furnace? I don't know how to get that information. Google was kinda nil on the search. Although, I did call Goodman today and the lady said she could give me more information as far as warranty, etc. if I called back with the S/N.

Thanks again for the good information. I'll check back in a few.

Thumbs up

That is what i thought, oversized for WI
    probably sized based on blower motor for air conditioning if sized at all
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

I agree with the others. Though Bob if it were a gmp"n" the gurgles would give us a clue... but w/o the "n", isn't it just an 80 %?
    LOL........I think you are correct! Now if it was a Lennox I would know those model #'s inside and out.........LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast