+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dust in home

Post Likes

Dust in home

I have residential HVAC customers complaining of dust in their home. Other than filtration what steps can I take to diagnose the cause and source of a constant dust issue. After cleaning the duct the source of the dust has to be outside of a mechanical issue. I'm just looking for some advice from someone who may have better knowledge of this type of issue. THanks

Post Likes
    What kind of air conditioning system has been installed there?

Post Likes
    First seal the duct system, especially the return. Pay particular attention to building cavities that are used for returns.
    Then determine whether the house has a positive or negative pressure and advise them to seal leaks which can pull in dirt.

Post Likes
    Yes, did you seal the duct system? I know in my experience this can often times happen because there are leaks somewhere that is pulling in access dirt into their house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    First seal the duct system, especially the return. Pay particular attention to building cavities that are used for returns.
    Then determine whether the house has a positive or negative pressure and advise them to seal leaks which can pull in dirt.
    I agree with all of the above, but if major supply duct leakage remains after sealing the returns you can create some large infiltration and safety issues . Deal with these before doing air sealing of the home and always do a CAZ test after any kind of this type of repair!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Supply leaks make the house suck.

Return leaks make the house blow.

Fancy air filters for the HVAC system do nothing to reduce visible dust in the house.

Cleaning ducts does nothing to reduce dust in the house.

Post Likes
    In other words, seal up the supply. It's a thin line because on one hand you want your house to breathe, but not so much so that a lot of particulates get in.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in