My SMAN3 just went up in smoke...

Recovering the charge from a system yesterday. Left for a moment to grab a cylinder of nitrogen from my truck I came back to, what I thought was smoke pouring out of my SMAN3 gauges. I freaked for a moment thinking the gauges were internally on fire, but quickly realized they have sprung a major leak somewhere. Recorded it real quick, during the vid was when the almighty light bulb came on and I realized it was venting, not smoking.

Usually don't use them, but my other set decided to start leaking yesterday at the sight-glass on the prior job.

Had to stop recovery, worried I would be sucking air in through the gauges. Just connected the recovery hose directly to the unit..recharged system with my other gauges.

Russell...trade you a new set of SMAN4's, for the intellectual rights to the laser tachometer head I suggested you guys make

I don't think I would chance recovering with either SMAN I own. Too many nasty things in recovered refer. I use a pair of analogs mounted to an AK 900 manifold with hoses marked in paint pen that say "recovery only". And my recovery machine has a drier on it for extra protection.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Recovering the charge from a system yesterday. Left for a moment to grab a cylinder of nitrogen from my truck I came back to, what I thought was smoke pouring out of my SMAN3 gauges. I freaked for a moment thinking the gauges were internally on fire, but quickly realized they have sprung a major leak somewhere. Recorded it real quick, during the vid was when the almighty light bulb came on and I realized it was venting, not smoking.

Usually don't use them, but my other set decided to start leaking yesterday at the sight-glass on the prior job.

Had to stop recovery, worried I would be sucking air in through the gauges. Just connected the recovery hose directly to the unit..recharged system with my other gauges.

Russell...trade you a new set of SMAN4's, for the intellectual rights to the laser tachometer head I suggested you guys make
    SLC,

Have you gotten a replacement yet? Just give us a call and we'll work it out with a local distributor to get you a replacement today. thanks!

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    I don't think I would chance recovering with either SMAN I own. Too many nasty things in recovered refer. I use a pair of analogs mounted to an AK 900 manifold with hoses marked in paint pen that say "recovery only". And my recovery machine has a drier on it for extra protection.
    This is a pretty clean job. No burn out or issues that would deem me to pull out my grungy analogs. Actually my SMAN and Digi_Cool on a Sherman Manifold was all I had on me, freak heat streak, not loaded up with much. Still doing heating calls. Owner just called and stated he was going over start-up records and found that the installer mis-weighed the charge into this new unit. Guess this has a long line-set and installer calculated 3 ounces for every foot, not for every 5 feet. So I showed up to a unit tripped on high pressure switch and pulled out 7 pounds and then operated system to get the unit tweaked properly. All virgin refer so no concern pulling it through my SMAN or my recovery unit.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    This is a pretty clean job. No burn out or issues that would deem me to pull out my grungy analogs. Actually my SMAN and Digi_Cool on a Sherman Manifold was all I had on me, freak heat streak, not loaded up with much. Still doing heating calls. Owner just called and stated he was going over start-up records and found that the installer mis-weighed the charge into this new unit. Guess this has a long line-set and installer calculated 3 ounces for every foot, not for every 5 feet. So I showed up to a unit tripped on high pressure switch and pulled out 7 pounds and then operated system to get the unit tweaked properly. All virgin refer so no concern pulling it through my SMAN or my recovery unit.
    Cool, been there down that.

Changed an Ice machine today ith a remote. Started to use my old (new last year) Imperials. Leaks every where. Hooke up the 570's. Didn't want to but all I had. I know the recovered 404 was clean. Customer just needed a 1900 lb machine.
    My Sman 4's are still waiting for me at Jmart.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post

When it rains it pours for your gauges! Leakers galore!
    Rick

"It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time."

never had a leaky SMAN YET.

:e:[ek::eekQUOTE=lytning;15766511]Changed an Ice machine today ith a remote. Started to use my old (new last year) Imperials. Leaks every where. Hooke up the 570's. Didn't want to but all I had. I know the recovered 404 was clean. Customer just needed a 1900 lb machine.
    My Sman 4's are still waiting for me at Jmart.[/QUOTE]

You used your 570 to recover?????:e:[ek::eek

OH THE HUMANITY..... Your Testo Testosterone

Card could be revoked!

I broke the cheery on my new recovery analogs today too. Two old Brute gauges mounted on an AK manifold. Works gooder than hell.

I can't see the video
    Did it blow out the micron sensor?

I don't know what went on it. Just walked away for a moment and came back and I literally thought they were on fire. There are small circular vents on the front and vapor refrigerant was just puffing out of those. Then oil just started dripping out from between the SMAN head unit and the manifold bar, bubbling near where the center charging port attached to the head. So I would assume a seal or something went.
    As for my gauges..those of you that have seen pics in my other posts know I have quite the collection.

Old DigiCools with Yellow Jacket on the front married to Sherman Manifold takes the brunt of my service work...long SS braided hoses to get into those large semi-hermetic and large tonnage units.

SMAN3's are mostly for quick troubleshooting and in/out service calls

Y/J analog BRUTES are my burn out and just plain nasty work horses.

JB analog Zepplin manifold are just plain back-ups.

and a set of POS Y/J analogs with R134a automotive fittings for helping the neighbors get AC going in their cars.

In any case....

Went to my local distributor, they balked at first then they called Russ....and BAMMO..new SMAN3. Back in business. Thank you Russ!!
    Now just get me that non-contact laser tachometer head developed and on the market and I will be a pig in mud.

SLCTECH