Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Commercial Microwave ovens

Wondering if anyone else out there services microwaves. Both Wendys and KFC use Amana. I carry parts for and repair their various models. KFC uses their microwaves for cooking so they break down often.

Quote Originally Posted by cybercontadino View Post
    Wondering if anyone else out there services microwaves. Both Wendys and KFC use Amana. I carry parts for and repair their various models. KFC uses their microwaves for cooking so they break down often.
    Yep. I do like them them amanas. just don't touch that mag leads when its running.
    Last edited by ndfrozen; 02-26-2007 at 07:30 PM.
    So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?

ND,
    I haven't touched that side by accident yet. Do you have a meter for the hi volt side. Not aware that there is one made for troubleshooting there. My meter "stops" at the line volt side of the hi volt trans.
    What type of leakage meter do you use?
    John

You do not want to touch the HV side, it'll send you to the hospital if you're lucky. I had a cousin who did nothing but microwaves when they first came out, touched one by accident, knocked him across the room, lucky for him his dad was there to call for EMTs. He spent the nite in the hospital. Doctors said he came very close to dying. No I don't touch the HV side either just the lv side on the transformer. Hey, on the HDC-18,& 182's how are you isolating the mag ckt's to find the bad ckt.? Talked to Amana TS, they had me take the HV lead jumper off the caps and put it on each cap separately; then take amp reading. I've done this and doesn't matter I still get 1/2 total amp draw for each one. Finally realized that if I put a small cup of water in unit it will heat up when the good mag is working. We don't worry about leakage, probably should though. Microwave repair is not top pirorty here, just do it so customers don't go somewhere else.
    So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?

ND, I'm not familiar with the model you mentioned. I assume that one hivolt transformer runs two mags? In my experience the right amp draw usually means the mag is functioning.
    Microwaves are a minor percentage of my business also.

Our Company Works On Amana And Panasonic Both. We Like The Amana's The Best. Lots Of Bad Interlock Switches On Both Brands Though.

KFC microwaves

yep got to love those Amanas, KFC use's 3 the KFC1 , KFC 2 and the RPSk9, I work for the KFC so Iget to see them lots, but they really don't break down all to often,, have more problems with deep fryers and warming cabinet doors, and the biggest, the store employees, none of the employees understand if you keep the equipment clean it wil work really nice.

"if you keep the equipment clean it wil work really nice."

What about the amigos who hose down the computer boards!!!!

Hey DMP3,
    The KFC microwaves seem to break down more during the warmer months(perhaps heavier use). Quite a few mags and caps and rectifiers get replaced...and of course the interlock switches..and the doors...and the hivolt boards and transformers before the units came with fuses.
    Why doesn't KFC just use convection steamers? ...We'd no doubt be fixing them too.
    Do the employees always say, "why don't they just get a new one". I tell them the new one will breakdown just like the old ones.

Been working with KFC for 20+ years. I see HP's, Pitco's and Frymaster's in my sleep. The trucks smell like KFC/TB/LJS. Just ask me how to clean a dead weight. Heat cab's and conv ovens, display units to mixers, taco lines to all of the three phase equipment on the roof. Rethermalizer?? Who said that word??

The employees don't clean the equipment per their employee manual but we have a great relationship with the AC's and the Facility Manager. All we have to do is say I need money to clean one up and they say OK. We are blessed in this territory but there was a time where nothing was fixed.

Pump and motor not working... so what! LOL ... not anymore.

Wish I could join in on the microwave chat but we don't work on them. There is one company that does almost every microwave in town.

Quote Originally Posted by cybercontadino View Post
    ND, I'm not familiar with the model you mentioned. I assume that one hivolt transformer runs two mags? In my experience the right amp draw usually means the mag is functioning.
    Microwaves are a minor percentage of my business also.
    Yep, the hdc18,182 has one transformer running two mags. I agree on amp draw if its at spec both mags are working at the time your are taking the reading. I like the way amana on these units has you replace the whole door switch ass'y when you order it. Panasonic's sucked when you had to order 10 p/n's to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    Been working with KFC for 20+ years. I see HP's, Pitco's and Frymaster's in my sleep. The trucks smell like KFC/TB/LJS. Just ask me how to clean a dead weight. Heat cab's and conv ovens, display units to mixers, taco lines to all of the three phase equipment on the roof. Rethermalizer?? Who said that word??

The employees don't clean the equipment per their employee manual but we have a great relationship with the AC's and the Facility Manager. All we have to do is say I need money to clean one up and they say OK. We are blessed in this territory but there was a time where nothing was fixed.

Pump and motor not working... so what! LOL ... not anymore.

Wish I could join in on the microwave chat but we don't work on them. There is one company that does almost every microwave in town.

Lusker, I love our KFC group here has, his own guys do his hot side stuff. They rebuild there stuff from frame out. Seen them take a grease pump apart and replace the rotor blades only; since its inhouse they do a lot of things differently than an outside contractor would. like welding their own fry pots, ect. We only do his cold side stuff and thats fine with me.

kfc

well I have been getting a lot of everythings,, mostly cooler this past week, the owners of of franchase want a pm program but,, I don't have time. as for Micro-waves my boss always tells me just spend a few minutes and see what is wrong,, I have never spent less than 2 hours after cleaning things to just look, as for dead weights, I always get the reply "you mean if we clean it , them it will work",, or the other one is the presuure solenoid valve, they just drop the shorting to release the pressure... I am in the Wisconsin area,, what other areas are you others from,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast